Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 new USB C center console data hub from model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally heard back from my SC regarding the parts and it looks like the prices went up. Comes out to $345 before tax.
Price of the wireless charger is more than @smatthew paid, but it actually seems more reasonable to me. I suspect Tesla made an error when they charged @smatthew.

I installed my front usb-c port today. The only thing I have left now is to figure out what I'm going to do for the wireless charging pad. Replace it with the new one, or find a way to power the original. The new/correct pricing makes the decision much easier.

I'm going to wait and see what the Jeda hub looks like, and either get that or install a 12 volt outlet.

So a buddy and I plan an event every year called the Pizza Power Tour.... we get a bunch of cars together and do a 100+ mile cruise with 3-5 pizza stops along the way..... Yesterday was this years.... It just so happened the parts advisor for my local service center was there yesterday with one of his old hotrods. I talked to him, he gave me his direct email and said to let him know what I need. Had this in my inbox this morning.

"Morning Matt,

A few items are not in stock but I have placed an order for them. They will be coming from California so it may take a little bit of time for them to arrive. I’ll be in touch when everything is here. If you need anything else feel free to reach out."

upload_2020-10-13_10-27-4.png

Reactions: lUtriaNt
There's no data wiring to the back USB ports.

So that means that the rear vent hub we need to use is constrained to the small time window between the upgrade to from USB-A to USB-C (no data), which was pretty short. I guess the newer ones with data support wont work without yet another adapter, for charging purposes only.

I was hoping for a rear assembly to pop up in Ebay, but i think imma just order it straight from Tesla just in case they are harder to get down the line.

So that means that the rear vent hub we need to use is constrained to the small time window between the upgrade to from USB-A to USB-C (no data), which was pretty short. I guess the newer ones with data support wont work without yet another adapter, for charging purposes only.

If there does end up being a new rear vent part which supports data it would still most likely work even when wired for charging only. The front hub as 2 separate plugs, one for power and one for data. I imagine they would do the same in the rear and you would just only connect the power plug.

No guarantees of course, I didn't try that in the front to see if it worked there with only power and I don't want to take it all back apart to check.

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel
Now to put everything back together.

When I did mine I also got a roll of wire harness wrap and continued the stock harness wrap all the way up the new adapter. That way the plastic connector between original plug and adapter won't be rattling against the console interior.

Did that for both front and back adapters. And also for the rear plug which get removed to slide the whole console back. The wires for the plug come through a non-grommeted metal hole in the car frame. Didn't care for how prone that area was to rubbing the wire. So wrapped it up good as well to protect it.

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel
When I did mine I also got a roll of wire harness wrap and continued the stock harness wrap all the way up the new adapter. That way the plastic connector between original plug and adapter won't be rattling against the console interior.

Did that for both front and back adapters. And also for the rear plug which get removed to slide the whole console back. The wires for the plug come through a non-grommeted metal hole in the car frame. Didn't care for how prone that area was to rubbing the wire. So wrapped it up good as well to protect it.

Well now I guess I will be taking everything apart again to do this. Thanks for the tip!

Good idea. I wedged it in there pretty good, if I hear something I’ll pull it back out but I’ll wait and see. Those rear console bolts are a pain in the ass. Would be easier with a gearwrench or something.

Last edited:
Been waiting for something like this especially since I have a google pixel 3 that Google made the stupidest decisions on for wireless charging. Question though, for the front port upgrade, it looks like it has one usb c and one usb A? Currently I have aftermarket wireless mat with the two splitters plugged into both ports along with an SSD for Sentry plus a game controller. How would that work with the new front hub? how would you connect two controllers?

Status
Not open for further replies.