Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 new USB C center console data hub from model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking into buying all of these parts for retrofit in the UK. I currently have a Jeda USB & mat setup. I already know I'd have to remove and sell on the Jeda USB hub.

The OEM Tesla mat uses the one USB-C connection. On the basis that this port can presumably only provide a max of 27W, would that necessarily mean that you couldn't fast charge two phones wirelessly at the same time?

Looking into buying all of these parts for retrofit in the UK. I currently have a Jeda USB & mat setup. I already know I'd have to remove and sell on the Jeda USB hub.

The OEM Tesla mat uses the one USB-C connection. On the basis that this port can presumably only provide a max of 27W, would that necessarily mean that you couldn't fast charge two phones wirelessly at the same time?
I doubt the OEM Wireless charging pad is limited by the 27w budget. I doubt it is capable of delivering 15W+ to a single phone.

Does anyone know if the new Mat will charge a pixel 3 any faster?

Pixel phones only charge at 10W from certified chargers. Beyond the pixel stand and a few others on the Google store, I have not found any chargers that let the Pixels charger faster than 5W. I'll try draining my Pixel 4 and test it.

The new iPhone 12 range can charge wirelessly at 15W
Only with the magsafe charger so far. I think third parties need to get a certification similar to MFI from Apple to support faster charger.

Ah, I hadn't noticed that catch. Although I'd expect to see MagSafe charging pads in the near future. I think they'd kind of make sense in the car as it keeps the phone secure while driving.

Perhaps that will be available for 2021 or 2022 cars, but I don't think anyone will make it for pre-2021 cars.

If Tesla discontinues the current center console design as is rumored, I would not expect to see anyone investing in R&D for accessories that fit the old/current center console design. Something that only works with USB-C cars (like a 2x 15W MagSafe pad) seems especially unlikely since compatible cars were only produced for 6 months.

I'm sure there are things already in the pipeline that may end up produced, but once those products come out that will probably be the end for new products that fit pre-2021 center consoles.

Bought a $10 USBC power meter.... Did some testing on the rear ports tonight. Super happy.

MacBook Pro was showing 25w+

iPhone 11 @ 45% was showing 15w which I believe is it’s max fast charging rate

ECB41778-5315-4BC4-970E-51C2D72076D8.jpeg
FBD0DB21-2FF7-42E2-B783-E0D7F270A44F.jpeg

I have read that the 2021 3's rear USB-C will also have data.

Does the current car wiring support data to the back? Maybe the pins are not used, but the cabling is in place? Or the full harness would need to be replaced?
The new parts catalog is online. The rear usb ports will not be able to transfer data because the rear console has the same part number as the current USB-C console :)

Edit: There is another USB hub mentioned in the Parts Catalog:

M3/Y Rear USB (27W USB-C + 27W USB-C); 1546129-00-D

It’s mentioned in the Category „USB Hub“ and „Center Console After October 2020“, but it’s not shown anywhere.

And there is the new usb hub for the new center console. And a new usb front panel.

ASY, USB HUB, GEN3; 1755200-00-B

M3 2.0, CONSOLE, FR USB PANEL; 1755549-00-A

Last edited:
Does anyone know if the new Mat will charge a pixel 3 any faster?

Sorry it took so long but I remembered to try it out today with my Pixel 5 being at only 30% charge. I dropped it on the new wireless charging pad and can confirm I was able to charge at 10W. That means the new wireless charger supports the Qi Extended Power Profile (EPP). If I remember correctly, the Pixel 3 was updated last year to support this.

I just got my adapter in the mail yesterday and the rear vent assembly from tesla today. I put it in without a hitch; and I was able to use 2 usb-c watt meters and show 25+ watts pulling on each port AT THE SAME TIME! That means you can pull 50+ watts of power out of those rear ports combined. Really incredible. 25 watts can easily keep my surface book running indefinitely if I'm not using the GPU.
I'm impressed with Tesla; do any other manufacturers include USB-C PD ports like this? I've never seen any that do. Thanks for the adapters and thanks for this thread..... I'm very satisfied with the results.

Just got all the parts today and installed it. The whole process took around 30mins. Pretty easy and I am very satisfied with the result. One drawback is that the phone tray cannot be held in the "up" position and it keeps falling down. Looks like the wireless charger is too heavy. Is anyone having the same issue?

That’s great. It’s a shame you didn’t do a before and after test, but we know what it’s likely to be on USB-A.

Do you think you’ll do the fronts as well? If so, any chance of doing another video like this? It was very informative :)

I bought a second adapter; just in case I want to do the front in the future.... But I don't see myself doing it soon; I ran cables from the 12V outlet years ago now bringing some higher powered cable leads to my jeda for fast wifi charging, so the cost benefit of doing it in the front is low for me. But if my Jeda craps out; I'll probably do it.

Alternatively; do we know what the USB inside the glovebox looks like yet and can that be retrofit? depending on the details; I might do it in conjunction with that modification.

Status
Not open for further replies.