Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3: Nice DeepTrunk Well

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was happy to spot this trunk well in the Model 3. I use this same space in my MX all the time, especially for placing grocery items on hot days. In fact, I am thinking of insulating the well so it can serve double duty as a cooler... it would make a sweet tailgate party cooler :cool:

Screen Shot 2017-08-07 at 10.02.38 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-08-07 at 10.07.43 AM.png

I have a Roadster and used to have a Model S. They come with a can of aerosol tire patch (e.g., the stuff you squirt into the tire stem). I assume the Model 3 is the same.
Unless local regulations require them too, Model S's don't come with anything. You can buy a little compressor from the Tesla store though.

This is how most of the industry is going and not something unique to Tesla.

Where is the spare tire in the Model 3?

Tesla's don't come with a spare. They offer a flat tire repair kit for $50. One Tesla MS owner told me that he puts a spare tire in his frunk when he goes on road trips. Yet to be seen if the M3 has sufficient room in the frunk to carry a spare of any kind (donut). I will look into run flat tires for my M3 on the line of what Bridgestone has been advertising. Just hope another brand offers them. I like Bridgestones golf balls but not too sure about the car tires.

Early Model S's had frunks large enough to hold a spare. But from what I've read, newer ones don't.

I was wondering if the Model 3 frunk might be big enough to hold a deflated spare. But it doesn't look big enough from the photos.
Yeah, I'm thinking it's not deep enough (front to back) for even a deflated spare. I plan on getting a repair kit and calling it good - I rarely drive outside of well populated areas where roadside assistance is more than a few minutes away.

Yeah, I'm thinking it's not deep enough (front to back) for even a deflated spare. I plan on getting a repair kit and calling it good - I rarely drive outside of well populated areas where roadside assistance is more than a few minutes away.

I bought a spare for my Volt that I keep in the garage at home and throw in the trunk only when driving long distances. I'd probably do the same with the Model 3 (assuming the frunk isn't big enough).

If I get a flat near home that can't be driven on or fixed on the spot, I can go retrieve the spare from home (by getting a ride from a friend or Uber) and bring it back to the car rather than dealing with the hassle of a tow.

On out-of-town trips, I bring the spare with me. Only downside is less cargo space.

Reactions: strykeroz
I bought a spare for my Volt that I keep in the garage at home and throw in the trunk only when driving long distances. I'd probably do the same with the Model 3 (assuming the frunk isn't big enough).

If I get a flat near home that can't be driven on or fixed on the spot, I can go retrieve the spare from home (by getting a ride from a friend or Uber) and bring it back to the car rather than dealing with the hassle of a tow.

On out-of-town trips, I bring the spare with me. Only downside is less cargo space.

I've never used it, but Tesla's Roadside Assistance is complimentary with the MS and MX, I am not sure if it comes with the M3?

ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE

Flat Tire
In some markets, our trained tow providers carry a limited number of loaner wheels to quickly exchange for the damaged wheel so you can continue your journey. The damaged wheel will be transported to the nearest Tesla Service Center. Simply arrange with the service center a good time to drop in within a few days to exchange the loaner wheel for your original wheel. If a loaner wheel is unavailable, we will arrange for your vehicle to be transported to the nearest Tesla Service Center. Tesla will cover up to 50 miles for a trained tow provider to assist you with a flat tire. Wheel and tire damage is not covered by the New or Pre-Owned Vehicle Limited Warranty. Please check with your local service center for pricing and availability of tires.

Tesla's don't come with a spare. They offer a flat tire repair kit for $50. One Tesla MS owner told me that he puts a spare tire in his frunk when he goes on road trips. Yet to be seen if the M3 has sufficient room in the frunk to carry a spare of any kind (donut). I will look into run flat tires for my M3 on the line of what Bridgestone has been advertising. Just hope another brand offers them. I like Bridgestones golf balls but not too sure about the car tires.

The biggest problem with using run-flat tires on a car that wasn't designed for them is that run-flats are much firmer than go-flat tires... so the ride will be quite harsh with them.

Cars that are designed with run-flat tires in mind actually have the suspension tuned specifically for them.

Reactions: PRSIST
Early Model S's had frunks large enough to hold a spare. But from what I've read, newer ones don't.

I was wondering if the Model 3 frunk might be big enough to hold a deflated spare. But it doesn't look big enough from the photos.

Also this may not be a good idea for safety reasons. You probably don't want a steel wheel in the frunk being shoved into the passenger cabin if you were in a crash.