Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 No longer powers down to reboot?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had the car in for service and what they told me is that power-down reboot is something they have disabled in the software, allegedly it's not "something that should be done casually by the user. The mobile service people can show you how to do it". Maybe those who can still do it have stumbled on some detail that enables the secret way to do it. Maybe telepathy. Or where you sit, exactly.

That's a bit strange. No, very strange. The last story I heard was that "these cars never fully power down".
Now it's "it shouldn't be done, but there's a way someone might show you".

They charged me $68 to replace the cabin air filters because debris had gotten in.

It suggests that maybe those screens you can buy to cover the inlets might be a very good idea, as long as they aren't tight filters that could strain the fans.

What they are talking about is disconnecting the Contactor under the rear seat, not the power down from the menu (no one would need mobile service to show them how to select power down in the menu).

Oh, @jjrandorin -- I wish. They, or rather he, I don't mean them, he looked like a he, anyway as a representative of Tesla, was talking about the Menu-driven Power Off for sure. He even said "you surely don't want to do that on every update!" I didn't dare ask "and why not?" Then he said "the car learns your driving habits, and can do THAT when you're not driving, like at night". And then he went deeper and said that customers have been complaining about the screen going dark while they're driving, so Tesla would rather do it by themselves. I'm not kidding. I did say it wasn't the screen computer I was talking about, but he said "yes, yes" and at this point I was realizing it was hopeless.

I think it's wonderful that them folks, I mean they, can exercise their imaginations this way, telling fanciful bedtime stories to the raw material, namely we, the sheeple, the customers. What a cool job! You can tell 'em, say, not to loosen the gazintas or they will turn to gold. And wait for the customer to log a mobile service call to come put their car back together :p

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: jjrandorin
Oh, @jjrandorin -- I wish. They, or rather he, I don't mean them, he looked like a he, anyway as a representative of Tesla, was talking about the Menu-driven Power Off for sure. He even said "you surely don't want to do that on every update!" I didn't dare ask "and why not?" Then he said "the car learns your driving habits, and can do THAT when you're not driving, like at night". And then he went deeper and said that customers have been complaining about the screen going dark while they're driving, so Tesla would rather do it by themselves. I'm not kidding. I did say it wasn't the screen computer I was talking about, but he said "yes, yes" and at this point I was realizing it was hopeless.

I think it's wonderful that them folks, I mean they, can exercise their imaginations this way, telling fanciful bedtime stories to the raw material, namely we, the sheeple, the customers. What a cool job! You can tell 'em, say, not to loosen the gazintas or they will turn to gold. And wait for the customer to log a mobile service call to come put their car back together :p

Wow, ok... I guess they hired that person 5 minutes before you got there, lol.