TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Model 3- No standard dashboard air vents

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by aronth5, Nov 26, 2016.

Tags:
  1. aronth5

aronth5 Long Time Follower

During one of the Model 3 reveal test drives the driver stated the car will have a "unique ventilation system...not the traditional vents. There is a single slot". (at 4:55) I wonder why Tesla decided to re-engineer the basic approach to the HVAC ventilation system? Simpler to manufacture, more efficient or some other reason? The lack of dash board vents would seem to rule out separate temperature zones for the driver or passenger which is common on many cars. I often find myself or passengers adjusting the direction of the air flow vents so it will be interesting to see how well it works. Just one more unknown that we'll have to wait for reveal 3 to confirm.

• Funny x 1
  2. vwtodd

vwtodd Member

Sometime shortly after Model S was launched, Elon said something about heated seats were substantially more efficient in warming your body than blowing hot air with an electric heater. Not sure how that works with A/C.

3. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

The fact that there's a single physical slot across the dash doesn't necessarily preclude having zoned ventilation.

• Like x 1
  4. gregd

gregd Active Member

Sight drift in topic, but related to a total re-thinking of the car design... Did I interpret correctly? At 6:24 he says "we don't have any mechanical controls for the car"... So, it's totally 100% drive by wire? Can't even crank the wheels over or stand on the brakes if the electronics die? Wondering about the regulatory approval cycle, and failure mode safety.

5. woof

woof Model X 75D Blue, 6 seats

Hopefully these new vents are totally programmable and thus have per driver settings! It drives me mad to have the vents blow on my hands, and that's exactly how the wife likes them. It's her car...changing her setup seems rude.

The other thing about automotive vents I hope they are working on is noise. Airflow from the vents at high fan levels is quite noisy in any car I've ever been in. Perhaps that's the nature of airflow itself...but I'd like to think something better could be worked out.

6. Bluejuice

Bluejuice Member

Does anyone know if there will be HVAC vents for the back seat? My kids would be very happy if there are.

7. 22522

22522 Active Member

No, I think he is excepting the steering and the brakes.

8. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

He's referring to software upgradable controls like A/C, radio, suspension, ludicrous mode, etc

9. gjunky

gjunky Waiting for the Model ☰

I can tell you that the lack of direct air blowing on you in Arizona would be a huge problem. It is almost impossible to cool an entire car enough in full sun to feel comfortable.

Please, no more form over function. The vents in our X on the passenger side are really to small for extremely warm days. Having no vents, especially with all that glass will be a problem.

We'll see on the actual reveal.

10. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

it's direct air from the vent strip along the entire dash.

[​IMG]

Here's how some believe it will work:

[​IMG]

11. Snowcat

Snowcat Member

In the prototype there were two vents and two usb-ports for the back seat.

12. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I would not assume that air will flow out equally across the entire vent line. It is quite possible that only sections of that vent line will have airflow but it was designed to look like a single continuous vent for aesthetic reasons. So far we have no closeup photos of that vent line so from a distance it looks like a single continuous opening for air flow. But that may not be the case.

I think it looks pretty cool as a single continuous opening. Clean, simple, but functional.

13. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

Looks like the second link is broken... here's the image:
    [​IMG]

14. arjay

arjay member

FWIW the Dyson hand dryers in restrooms are linear, but admittedly only for about 12 inches or so. Maybe the concept has been augmented for say three areas of flow covering the length of the whole vent line.

15. aronth5

aronth5 Long Time Follower

I'd be interested on how you think this would work?

16. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

We don't know what baffles and dividers may exist behind that apparent single slot to form ventilation zones.

17. gjunky

gjunky Waiting for the Model ☰

Zoned or not, it looks like, for the driver, most of the air would be blocked by the screen and steering wheel....

18. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

The real question is, if the interior of the car is the temperature you desire, does it truly matter how the air flows?

Isn't it better to be quiet, efficient, and out of the way to increase legroom?

• Like x 3
  19. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

Why do people keep complaining about apparent features when we don't know what the interior actually looks like?

• Like x 2
  20. Dan Detweiler

Dan Detweiler Member

Because it's human nature and many people find it fun to speculate. Take it for what it is and just keep scrolling if it bothers you I guess. ;)

Dan

• Like x 3