Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3- No standard dashboard air vents

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

aronth5

Long Time Follower
Supporting Member
May 8, 2010
Boston Suburb
During one of the Model 3 reveal test drives the driver stated the car will have a "unique ventilation system...not the traditional vents. There is a single slot". (at 4:55) I wonder why Tesla decided to re-engineer the basic approach to the HVAC ventilation system? Simpler to manufacture, more efficient or some other reason? The lack of dash board vents would seem to rule out separate temperature zones for the driver or passenger which is common on many cars. I often find myself or passengers adjusting the direction of the air flow vents so it will be interesting to see how well it works. Just one more unknown that we'll have to wait for reveal 3 to confirm.

• Funny
Reactions: Andyw2100
Sight drift in topic, but related to a total re-thinking of the car design... Did I interpret correctly? At 6:24 he says "we don't have any mechanical controls for the car"... So, it's totally 100% drive by wire? Can't even crank the wheels over or stand on the brakes if the electronics die? Wondering about the regulatory approval cycle, and failure mode safety.

Hopefully these new vents are totally programmable and thus have per driver settings! It drives me mad to have the vents blow on my hands, and that's exactly how the wife likes them. It's her car...changing her setup seems rude.

The other thing about automotive vents I hope they are working on is noise. Airflow from the vents at high fan levels is quite noisy in any car I've ever been in. Perhaps that's the nature of airflow itself...but I'd like to think something better could be worked out.

Sight drift in topic, but related to a total re-thinking of the car design... Did I interpret correctly? At 6:24 he says "we don't have any mechanical controls for the car"... So, it's totally 100% drive by wire? Can't even crank the wheels over or stand on the brakes if the electronics die? Wondering about the regulatory approval cycle, and failure mode safety.
No, I think he is excepting the steering and the brakes.

He's referring to software upgradable controls like A/C, radio, suspension, ludicrous mode, etc

I can tell you that the lack of direct air blowing on you in Arizona would be a huge problem. It is almost impossible to cool an entire car enough in full sun to feel comfortable.

Please, no more form over function. The vents in our X on the passenger side are really to small for extremely warm days. Having no vents, especially with all that glass will be a problem.

We'll see on the actual reveal.

I can tell you that the lack of direct air blowing on you in Arizona would be a huge problem. It is almost impossible to cool an entire car enough in full sun to feel comfortable.

Please, no more form over function. The vents in our X on the passenger side are really to small for extremely warm days. Having no vents, especially with all that glass will be a problem.

We'll see on the actual reveal.
it's direct air from the vent strip along the entire dash.

wenMG3e-1.jpg

Here's how some believe it will work:

0BwdQEvWjnO44ZFUzeDJQbUxERFk

it's direct air from the vent strip along the entire dash
I would not assume that air will flow out equally across the entire vent line. It is quite possible that only sections of that vent line will have airflow but it was designed to look like a single continuous vent for aesthetic reasons. So far we have no closeup photos of that vent line so from a distance it looks like a single continuous opening for air flow. But that may not be the case.

I think it looks pretty cool as a single continuous opening. Clean, simple, but functional.

I would not assume that air will flow out equally across the entire vent line. It is quite possible that only sections of that vent line will have airflow but it was designed to look like a single continuous vent for aesthetic reasons. So far we have no closeup photos of that vent line so from a distance it looks like a single continuous opening for air flow. But that may not be the case.

I think it looks pretty cool as a single continuous opening. Clean, simple, but functional.

FWIW the Dyson hand dryers in restrooms are linear, but admittedly only for about 12 inches or so. Maybe the concept has been augmented for say three areas of flow covering the length of the whole vent line.