Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3- No standard dashboard air vents

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Standard in the automotive sense (and this is a car forum) usually means "comes with the vehicle" so "No standard dashboard air vents" seemed to me to be a provocative title (hence click-bait), as the Model 3 will certainly have dashboard air vents standard, just like every other car on the market. I agree they aren't the traditional design. Apologies if I misinterpreted.

Good point and in hindsight you are correct that the title could have been better. The intent was to direct attention to the fact that the so called "standard dashboard" vents that typically blow out towards the driver and passenger simply don't exist.

Reactions: trils0n
If the falcon wing door debacle taught Tesla anything, it should be to not reinvent what has already been perfected. What needs reinvention is the drive train and interface of a vehicle, AKA the model S. When they try to reinvent doors, or in this case HVAC systems, things can go very wrong and unnecessary complexities are introduced.

Reactions: SeminoleFSU
In the hope that Tesla will read it and think about their (possible) design a few more times. We own a model X and love the car but there are definitely aspects of that car where it is form over function. The small air vents on the passenger side is one.
[snip]
I know this all sounds like complaining about a feature we don't know about yet but what can be done once the car is completed?
41DNTnZ8cRL._SY450_.jpg

Last edited:
I wonder why Tesla decided to re-engineer the basic approach to the HVAC ventilation system? Simpler to manufacture, more efficient or some other reason?
I think it was around the 1950s or so when Detroit auto designers started to make the ventilation systems for their cars a focal point in dashboard design. Just as they made the grille a focal point, often with gigantic gaping mouths... And went crazy with tail fins that soared to the skies... They also began to seriously offer a variety of exhaust treatments to both bedazzle and enhance the notion that the cars were designed to mimic the advances of the Jet Age even as they moved to the Space Age. And the vents across the dashboard continued those themes, as if it would be a good idea to stand or sit in the backwash of a jet or rocket. It was, at the time, considered a futuristic means of designing things. Some 60+ years later, it instead seems extremely retro. I think that Tesla Motors designers want to offer a new definition of futuristic design.

I came across this while looking for something else:

If the falcon wing door debacle taught Tesla anything, it should be to not reinvent what has already been perfected.
I just spent over a week at my Mom's house. Whenever I'm home, I become her chauffeur. Driving her Kia Sedona, I learned for absolute certain exactly why Falcon Wing Doors make sense. Sliding doors do a good job of opening the space for second row passengers. But in their fully open position, a sizeable portion of the doorway is still covered by the door panel. When someone develops a sliding door system that completely clears the opening, then it will be 'perfected'.

Sure, show cars are always presented as if innovative designs will offer complete access. But the final production car never does. One of the most recent of these was an electric car concept from Volkswagen -- the ID.
VWID-on-floor.jpg

2016-Volkswagen-ID-Concept-25-1600x934.jpg

During one of the Model 3 reveal test drives the driver stated the car will have a "unique ventilation system...not the traditional vents. There is a single slot". (at 4:55) I wonder why Tesla decided to re-engineer the basic approach to the HVAC ventilation system? Simpler to manufacture, more efficient or some other reason? The lack of dash board vents would seem to rule out separate temperature zones for the driver or passenger which is common on many cars. I often find myself or passengers adjusting the direction of the air flow vents so it will be interesting to see how well it works. Just one more unknown that we'll have to wait for reveal 3 to confirm.

The absence of individual, controllable A/C ducts, might just be a deal breaker for me!

Scannerman

Fred Lambert has brought this topic up with an interesting article he did on Electrek today..

"But it’s not the only minimalistic feature of the interior. Another less talked about interesting point is the lack of air vents – or at least visible air vents.
A Tesla engineer giving out test rides during the unveiling of the Model 3 in March referred to the vehicle’s HVAC as “a really unique ventilation system without traditional vents but only a single slot”.

Tesla Model 3: new interior image highlights the puzzle inside the vehicle

I thought the left-right temperature controls in our 1970's-80's Mercedes cars to be the apogee of car HVAC design. I could stay cool, my wife could be warm. So many arguments avoided. They took a big step back with a single temperature control. One size definitely does not fit all when it comes to cabin comfort.
Robin

• Disagree
Reactions: alseTrick
I thought the left-right temperature controls in our 1970's-80's Mercedes cars to be the apogee of car HVAC design. I could stay cool, my wife could be warm. So many arguments avoided. They took a big step back with a single temperature control. One size definitely does not fit all when it comes to cabin comfort.
Robin

I think you may be jumping to conclusions prematurely here. Is there some information out there saying the 3 will be single zone?

The single slot could still feed different temperatures to different zones with some designs.

Reactions: alseTrick
This reminds me of a line from the book 'Auntie Mame'. A man gave a young boy one singular piece of advice about women. Always keep a sweater in the car, because women have temperature problems, they are always either too cold or too hot, so give them a sweater to wear. That way they can take it off if it is too hot for them, and put it on when they get cold.

This is good news. Anyone who successfully addresses cabin noise will increase occupancy and crush carbon footprint. Other companies add intercoms for passengers as a way to solve noise.

Tesla may see things differently.

... Tire and drivetrain noise are harder. Could pump noise have cost some business? Some suppliers don't think you are serious when you spec noise.

Reactions: Red Sage
During one of the Model 3 reveal test drives the driver stated the car will have a "unique ventilation system...not the traditional vents. There is a single slot".

You can thank Model S & X owners for Beta testing the system for you. These have already been implemented in those cars for the defrosters, the difference is for the 3, they will remove the traditional visible vents as well.

Should also note, the new defrosters seem to work significantly better than the old ones.

Old:
img_0402-jpg.185573

New:
img_0401-jpg.185574

You can thank Model S & X owners for Beta testing the system for you. These have already been implemented in those cars for the defrosters, the difference is for the 3, they will remove the traditional visible vents as well.

Should also note, the new defrosters seem to work significantly better than the old ones.

Old:
img_0402-jpg.185573

New:
img_0401-jpg.185574
And the new was once old. The original S for some period of time did not have the physical vents for defrost either.

Reactions: trils0n