Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 normally charges at 237-239v but at 231v now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ChrisH

Jun 4, 2013
Milton, wa
Hey all,

Apologies if this has been asked previously but I couldn’t find the exact same issue anywhere.

Today I noticed that my model 3 is showing 231V while charging. I charge it at 30/32 Amps and usually see 237-240V. Any ideas why so much voltage sag?

Thanks

Chris

Likely just high demand in the neighborhood or something? I was charging mid day vs when I usually charge in the evening. Back up to 237 right now (530pm)
Not to be a doomsayer but.... it could also be a high resistance connection(s) somewhere in your house wiring, outlet or mobile/wall connector. I'm sure you'll be keeping an eye on the voltage...

There are many moments where my voltage only drops to around 237V. However, if I charge in peak periods, like around the wide end of day - dinner period, I have seen sags all the way down to 229V. Your charging itself pulls enough to make the voltage sag by a couple volts but your utility provider might be struggling to maintain voltage in peak periods, like mine.

• Informative
Reactions: Lindenwood
What is the voltage reading when the charge first starts (while it still reads 1 or 2 amps)? If it's also lower than normal, I'd say it's something in the neighborhood. If it's normal (238-240+) and then dipping down to 231, I'd be concerned.

Another thing you can do is feel the plug and cord (and outlet if a mobile connector) after it's been charging a while for unusual heat. You can also look inside the outlet box, (or inside the wall connector if that's what you have) to see if there are signs of excess heat (charring or melting).

In the end, 231v is within spec for a 240v circuit, so there may not be anything wrong at all. However, since it's a sudden change, a little troubleshooting is in order.

Last edited:
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
this worried me as well when i first had my model 3 and home connector .. when maxed out at 48amp the pattern i see is winter spring months low as 240v high as 246v .. summer time high as 241v low as 236v ..(we have gas heating in this area in winter and hot summers for AC use) lowest voltages coinside w/ peak AC use times in summer . as poster(s) above pointed out

Thanks all. I’m going to keep an eye on this. I felt around the outlet plate, the adapter, the mobile charging unit itself, and even the breaker and there was warmth but nothing too hot to touch.

I was charging in mid afternoon compared to evening when I usually charge so that may or may not have contributed. I’m going to plug in right now (1030am on a Friday) and see how it acts.

Reactions: FalconFour
What is the voltage reading when the charge first starts (while it still reads 1 or 2 amps)? If it's also lower than normal, I'd say it's something in the neighborhood. If it's normal (238-240+) and then dipping down to 231, I'd be concerned.

Another thing you can do is feel the plug and cord (and outlet if a mobile connector) after it's been charging a while for unusual heat. You can also look inside the outlet box, (or inside the wall connector if that's what you have) to see if there are signs of excess heat (charring or melting).

In the end, 231v is within spec for a 240v circuit, so there may not be anything wrong at all. However, since it's a sudden change, a little troubleshooting is in order.

Hey there. I just plugged in for another charge session. Right when I plugged in it was 227v for one second then jumped to 242v at 3 mph charge rate. Once it got to normal charge speed it went from 240 to 236 for a minute and has now settled at 237v

Any additional thoughts based on this?

Hey there. I just plugged in for another charge session. Right when I plugged in it was 227v for one second then jumped to 242v at 3 mph charge rate. Once it got to normal charge speed it went from 240 to 236 for a minute and has now settled at 237v

Any additional thoughts based on this?
Sounds perfectly normal. The momentary 227v was probably just a weird averaging thing right when the power was enabled. Unless you detect unusual heat or have some other symptoms, I wouldn't worry.

You could also get one of those plug in meter things that tells you the voltage. Compare what it reads somewhere in your house with no load vs what your car says.
Or just limit the charging current and see how much the voltage goes up.

Hey all,

Apologies if this has been asked previously but I couldn’t find the exact same issue anywhere.
Today I noticed that my model 3 is showing 231V while charging. I charge it at 30/32 Amps and usually see 237-240V. Any ideas why so much voltage sag?
Thanks
Chris
Anything between 220 and 250 is normal, especially if your service drop is aerial. Typical aerial drop for 200 amp service is only 2 gauge, the wire is smaller and lighter, but is cooled with ambient air. But it will have considerable voltage drop. If your utility service is buried, the wire will be much larger, like 000, or maybe 0000, because it cannot dissipate the heat very well inside a pipe, therefore much less voltage drop from the larger cable.