Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 not recognizing cars or stoplights. FDS mode & auto pilot not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In early July my 2020 model 3 stopped recognizing other vehicles and traffic signals. As a result, FSD mode and cruise control have also stopped working. Sentry mode was disabled as well. I contacted Tesla for service and after some back and forth they said that the car should fix itself. It did for about 2 days and then stopped working again. I called Tesla again and they scheduled a home visit but then said it needed to come to their dealership for repair. A few days before the service appointment everything was working again so I waited until the night before to be sure and canceled the appointment. That evening software update 2020.28.6 uploaded and everything stopped working again. I contacted Tesla again and they set a service date at the dealership. I took the car in and they kept it for a few days and then called me to pick it up. They reported that the problems were not fixed but a firmware update would be coming soon that should fix everything. That was 2 weeks ago and there's been no new update and the problems persist. I've contacted Tesla twice and received no response. This is getting frustrating because I'm paying for features I can't use. Has anyone else had similar problems and if so, was there a fix?

Someone else wrote about this last month, can’t remember the thread to be able to search it, sounds like a faulty HW3.0 module and should be replaced.

The wait for the new update will fix it is BS, if this was the case, we all would be having this problem. If you live close to the SC, take it back, ask for a new HW3.0 computer.

Let us know what happens

Fred

Read post #13, the SC did the hard 12v reset from under the rear seat removing the contractor. MPP has these instructions, will look for them:

Lost camera & autopilot functions

Tesla Model 3 Hard Reset | Mountain Pass Performance

Also there are videos on YouTube that shows you how to do it, you can also order a special torq Star tool only if you need to pull the penthouse shell for other work.

You won’t need this tool to do the hard reset. I picked one up on Amazon for around $38.00 to remove like 8 bolts. I got it just Incase I needed to tap into the penthouse to add an Amp or something that requires 12 volts.

Fred

Last edited:
Update: Just got the 32.3 update two days ago and now everything is functioning as it should . It has been very frustrating because it wouldn’t recognize anything, no cruise control, no autopilot, etc. then intermittently it would work properly. Tesla service wasn’t very helpful. Prior to the update I tried a factory reboot, multiple screen reboots, nothing helped. Maybe I had a glitch with the 28.5 and 28.6 updates? I had the car set to advanced updates. I just changed it to standard. Maybe advanced allows them to push out untested updates to see if they work....we are the guinea pigs???

Reactions: Wennfred