Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 not updating.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wait, you have been a member since 07 and you just now noticed/found out about the placebo button? :eek::D:D:D

Also if you push it 6 times in a row with one eye closed and then clap you hands 2 times it will start to download the most current update.o_Oo_Oo_Oo_O
I didn't get a Tesla until the end of last year and had been on a long hiatus from this forum until then, so haven't been following all the news. That toggle button also from what I found with a quick google didn't exist until 2019.16, so wouldn't have been mentioned in this forum anyways for most of the time I was gone.

From the same search others mentioned that just going to page triggered a software update that otherwise would not show up on the phone app. Another one said toggling the option (from advanced to standard) and rebooting triggered an update.

Last edited:
Recently I have seen a green download icon at the upper right of the screen before I got an update notification. I had to drive the car and when I left my wi-fi the icon turned yellow until my wi-fi reconnected. The download continued and then I got the update notification. I believe the updates are being downloaded first and then notification occurs. When you initiate the update the car is just installing the cached download. I recently went from a 4 Mbps internet speed to 30 Mbps. The 25 minute update time did not change. I know my old 4 Mbps must have taken hours to download some earlier big Gig updates. I think the maps are about 5 gig but they download and install automatically. If you don't have wi-fi you're probably the last to get a download over the cell connection unless it's a critical one.