Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Notchback Trunk - Deal-Killer?

If the Model 3 Is Notchback-only, Will you still buy?

• Yes. I'm all-in, and the cargo utility is a secondary concern

Votes: 267 65.6%
  • No. This is a big letdown. Hoping for Model S-style Liftback

Votes: 62 15.2%
  • Will probably wait for Model Y crossover variant

Votes: 23 5.7%
  • I still think Musk has a surprise up his sleeve. Might not be just a notchback

Votes: 55 13.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Based on photos that have come out of the reveal event, it's looking more and more likely that the 3, or at least initial iterations of it, are going to be conventional notchbacks. I don't know about you, but this is a huge letdown for me. I was really hoping for a liftback like the Model S, and the roofline certainly suggested one. I'm going to keep my reservation for now, but this does change my purchase consideration somewhat.

Reactions: Drucifer
Not a letdown for me at all. It's about what I was expecting and I love the look of the car. Can't wait. Plus I have a Subaru Impreza sedan so it really doesn't look that much smaller. My wife has an Outback so we will continue to use that until a Model Y type crossover is available if we need the extra cargo space (which isn't that often).

Reactions: Sudre
More like Killer Deal
The only design risk is the single large piece of glass. The "notchback" removes design risk, cost and fragility of electronic actuators and moving glass. I'm very happy to see any moves to reduce complexity and design risk while providing functionality (like no dash but cab forward providing leg room for the rear occupants). I think T has knocked this one out of the park provided someone can fix the catfish upper lip front bumper. Not even a mother could love that one. Luckily, its molded plastic and they have about a year to try different versions.

I don't really see a problem with it. As this is not going to be the only car in the family and for any imaginable daily task this will do the job. I would however prefer to have a liftback and will consider it if there is an option.

Reactions: GSP
I didn't pick any on the list as the answers did not seem like a good fit. I am disappointed there is no hatch, but it was not an instant dealbreaker for me. However, I might decide against buying depending on how the final trunk opening is, right now it looks really small.

I might wait for Model Y, but I have a feeling that car won't be the type I am looking for (it'll probably be CUV and have falcon doors).

I'm not hopeful that Elon has another trick up his sleeve given the 3D model of the chassis shown during the presentation (which shows there is a huge horizontal metal structure in the way, which makes it unlikely a hatchback is possible).

• Informative
Reactions: Model 3 and GSP
I would prefer a lift back but it's not a deal breaker - even though I haul luggage every time I go to work. I do love that about our S.

I am hoping the final design will be improved in this area - in one of the ride videos the engineer did say this was not final and the final would be bigger. If they could make it a lift back and have it still look good I would prefer it.

The major benefit of the Model 3 trunk design is the lack of damage that can occur when a large hatch hits a garage ceiling.

For what I carry 99% of the time, this design works fine. Recycling may require some smaller containers or the use of the side doors. Furniture delivery can be done by the store. Not everything fits in Model S or X, it isn't a problem for me.

The rear seats fold down and there is no "wall" between the trunk and seat-backs like with a conventional sedan trunk which offers a lot more utility and flexibility. You can fit surfboards, skis, 2x4s, etc. The only constraint really is with bulky cargo that require additional hight. Difficult to design for every use-case! Would need to move to different class of car if you can't live without it.

Reactions: Sudre
I'm not saying I'm ready to throw in the towel completely and cancel my reservation because of it. Heck, my current car is a notchback, and on a day-to-day basis, it's fine. But I've owned several hatchbacks over the years, and they're really hard to beat for all-around versatility. I'm going to have to ponder on it some, and I'm hoping there may be a "But wait, there's more" moment in the not-too-distant future where I might be pleasantly surprised.

Reactions: Newb
The rear seats fold down and there is no "wall" between the trunk and seat-backs like with a conventional sedan trunk which offers a lot more utility and flexibility. You can fit surfboards, skis, 2x4s, etc. The only constraint really is with bulky cargo that require additional hight. Difficult to design for every use-case! Would need to move to different class of car if you can't live without it.

x2... I agree 100%.

Deal killer for me. I will not buy and I was pumped. Why make something that looks like a liftback, but with a trunk with tiny opening? Why deviate from the Model S/X design? Funny that the auto pronostigators said that it would have a hatchback. Also I don't want a glass top and hate sunroofs (I actually ripped out my current car's sunroof and replaced it with carbon fiber plug). Why have such an expensive feature (huge expensive pane of glass) on a "budget" car? It would be funny to toss a brick on that big pane of glass and see how much it would cost to replace. Hope they get smart with a liftback and a hardtop version.