Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Notchback Trunk - Deal-Killer?

If the Model 3 Is Notchback-only, Will you still buy?

• Yes. I'm all-in, and the cargo utility is a secondary concern

Votes: 267 65.6%
  • No. This is a big letdown. Hoping for Model S-style Liftback

Votes: 62 15.2%
  • Will probably wait for Model Y crossover variant

Votes: 23 5.7%
  • I still think Musk has a surprise up his sleeve. Might not be just a notchback

Votes: 55 13.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What if they just made the panels behind the rear seats removable? Then, if the rear opening is wide enough, you have a lot of the versatility of a hatchback but don't have to compromise on the current roof design. This would also solve the problem for many dog owners (like myself) who need a back seat for kids, and a truck that is open to the car for the dog.
This idea had been discussed in the other thread. In the current design, there is a steel panel/beam in that area, so Tesla will have to make some changes (the steel beam has to be kept, but it may be able to be moved a few inches or reduced in size, and the steel panel can possibly be eliminated).

How does the trunk work on the Model 3

Note: Elon did not mention anything about the panel (nor did anyone bring it up in the AMA twitter session). All Elon promised was the trunk opening height and width will be larger.

Last edited:
It sounds like to me many people are trying to make the Model 3 fit their needs when it doesn't. It isn't a hatchback, it isn't a van and it isn't a pickup. It is an entry level luxury sedan with a trunk and a frunk. A single car is never going to meet everyone's needs.

The next version of the Tesla after the 3 is suppose to be a small crossover (smaller than the X). This will have the hatchback and cargo space many are complaining about not being in the Model 3.

European's love of hatchbacks and wagons are well known.
Inexplicably, hatchbacks and particularly wagons simply don't sell in US.

As of the end of 2014, Europe accounts for 17% of Tesla sales, Asia 20%, while North America is 62%.
So you can understand why Tesla would choose a sedan version as the first model for Model 3.

This.

It makes perfect sense.

The Model Y crossover--which most assuredly will be a hatchback--will be coming when the European manufacturing facility is online. The Model 3--most popular in North America--will be in North America. The crossover is likely to be pumped out from a facility in Europe, where it's the most popular format.

I understand the global perspective on wanting a hatchback but that's simply not the best decision for Tesla right now.

Besides, Tesla's liftback doesn't carry everything either. If you took more of the roof away, you could fit large cabinets and sofas inside the car. Oh right, that would make the Tesla into a pickup truck. Don't pretend that the Model S is a perfect solution with its liftback either, it's just a different car format.

I'm confused why you claim that making a hatchback sedan would hinder visibility. Simply look at the Model S, their own vehicle. 3 could've done this. Glass stops behind the rear passengers, and just continue another separate piece of glass there going forward.
tesla-model-s-hatch-open.jpg
To be fair, I think most Model S drivers would tell you that the rear visibility is quite poor, especially for those with the newer seats with higher rear headrests. There's a little sliver of daylight out the back and that's about it. The rear camera is less a perk than a necessity.

I'd also note, for lack of a better word, there's a lot more "car" behind the rear passengers in the Model S. If you put the break point behind the heads of the rear passengers in the Model 3, you'd end up with a little baby hatch. Look at the pictures of the Model 3 in profile. If you make a hatch hinge just behind their heads, it falls directly in the line-of-sight of the driver out the rear window.

Besides, Tesla's liftback doesn't carry everything either. If you took more of the roof away, you could fit large cabinets and sofas inside the car. Oh right, that would make the Tesla into a pickup truck. Don't pretend that the Model S is a perfect solution with its liftback either, it's just a different car format.

Problem solved, except for price: :D

Tesla_Model_S_Wagon_002.jpg

Reactions: JoRey
At any rate, I absolutely cannot see how Mr Musk could have made the claim that he did - "The Model 3 Can Fit a 7-Foot Surfboard" - unless there is indeed a lift.
1) Board on edge, inserted through the trunk over the folded rear seat backs. Point down the middle on top of the center console, fins to one side in the trunk. Would have to be a narrow board though.

2) Board laid flat, fins up, passenger side front seat pushed fully forward and tilted toward the front, board stuck through trunk opening over folded rear seats at an angle toward front passenger seat.

Reactions: MP3Mike
1) Board on edge, inserted through the trunk over the folded rear seat backs. Point down the middle on top of the center console, fins to one side in the trunk. Would have to be a narrow board though.

2) Board laid flat, fins up, passenger side front seat pushed fully forward and tilted toward the front, board stuck through trunk opening over folded rear seats at an angle toward front passenger seat.

@Red Sage got it right.
See this thread with images on fitting a surfboard inside a model 3:

Surfboard?