Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Notchback Trunk - Deal-Killer?

If the Model 3 Is Notchback-only, Will you still buy?

• Yes. I'm all-in, and the cargo utility is a secondary concern

Votes: 267 65.6%
  • No. This is a big letdown. Hoping for Model S-style Liftback

Votes: 62 15.2%
  • Will probably wait for Model Y crossover variant

Votes: 23 5.7%
  • I still think Musk has a surprise up his sleeve. Might not be just a notchback

Votes: 55 13.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Deal killer for me. I will not buy and I was pumped. Why make something that looks like a liftback, but with a trunk with tiny opening? Why deviate from the Model S/X design? Funny that the auto pronostigators said that it would have a hatchback. Also I don't want a glass top and hate sunroofs (I actually ripped out my current car's sunroof and replaced it with carbon fiber plug). Why have such an expensive feature (huge expensive pane of glass) on a "budget" car? It would be funny to toss a brick on that big pane of glass and see how much it would cost to replace. Hope they get smart with a liftback and a hardtop version.
In one of the rides, the engineer told who asked that the glass roof would be an option, and that a steel roof and a pano roof would be options. In another, he said the trunk design was not complete and that the end would be bigger. I don't know if he meant bigger trunk, bigger opening, or different altogether (lift back.) I doubt it would be a lift back, personally, and expect if that's what the deal killer is then wait for the model Y. I'm hoping that is the "next level" tease elon keeps referencing.

I was disappointed that it had a notch back. I was really really disappointed with the all glass roof it is extremely hot in Atlanta and a roof like that would be unbearable in the hot summer no a/c system could keep up with that. I was so glad I could get my model s with a solid roof my neighbors have the pano roof and it sucks in the summer even with tint on it. Not to mention how many much noisier it is than the solid top. I will probably just get another model s for my wife I was gong to get a model 3 but that roof actually kills it for me.

I was disappointed that it had a notch back. I was really really disappointed with the all glass roof it is extremely hot in Atlanta and a roof like that would be unbearable in the hot summer no a/c system could keep up with that. I was so glad I could get my model s with a solid roof my neighbors have the pano roof and it sucks in the summer even with tint on it. Not to mention how many much noisier it is than the solid top. I will probably just get another model s for my wife I was gong to get a model 3 but that roof actually kills it for me.

3 options dude: metal roof, all glass and all glass pano sunroof. Now what do you think? Plus we might get a CUV in reveal part 2. That'll cause a jump in reservations/sales. The notchback not a problem for me. I have a hatchback already. If Tesla offers a hatchback/CUV 3 then I'll buy/reserve that as well.

Dude I live in Fresno and my pano Model S doesn't get any hotter than a solid roof. I guarantee you Fresno in August makes Atlanta feel air-conditioned.

Based on photos that have come out of the reveal event, it's looking more and more likely that the 3, or at least initial iterations of it, are going to be conventional notchbacks. I don't know about you, but this is a huge letdown for me. I was really hoping for a liftback like the Model S, and the roofline certainly suggested one. I'm going to keep my reservation for now, but this does change my purchase consideration somewhat.

My thoughts exactly. I will be spending so much on this it will be my only car. To me the glass is an expensive gimmick. Cool yes but at the expense of all the practical use a lift back offers? No.

Don't like it. We rarely carry rear passengers, usually they're small or tolerant (i.e me in the back), and are more likely to be carrying cargo. So I'd give away some headroom to get a hatchback.

But, I want a long-distance BEV more so I'm not canceling my (confirmed*) reservation.

* I like logging in and seeing "<Name>'s Tesla".

Last edited:
A lift back like Model S would have been nice, but it's not necessary for me. I get by just fine with a conventional trunk in my Honda Civic sedan.

I expect that Tesla will address the need of people to carry more cargo with the crossover to be based on Model 3, the rumored Model Y.

Crossovers aren't for cargo, they're for ground clearance or high seating position. If you just want cargo space you get a wagon.

Deal killer for me. I will not buy and I was pumped. Why make something that looks like a liftback, but with a trunk with tiny opening? Why deviate from the Model S/X design? Funny that the auto pronostigators said that it would have a hatchback. Also I don't want a glass top and hate sunroofs (I actually ripped out my current car's sunroof and replaced it with carbon fiber plug). Why have such an expensive feature (huge expensive pane of glass) on a "budget" car? It would be funny to toss a brick on that big pane of glass and see how much it would cost to replace. Hope they get smart with a liftback and a hardtop version.
Except 35K is not budget, that's mid range / entry-luxury. Budget is more 20-25K (think Toyota Camry/Honda Accord/Mazda 6/Subaru Legacy/Ford Fusion/VW Passat/Kia Optima/Chevrolet Malibu/Chrysler 200/Nissan Altima/Hyundai Sonata/Buick Verano).

See IIHS , 3 series / C Class / A4 are "Midsize luxury/near luxury cars": Safety ratings

while Accord/etc are "Midsize moderately priced cars " : Safety ratings

Even entry-luxury cars such as Audi A3 / Mercedes Benz CLA have panoramic roof options. Key word being option. If you don't like it or don't want it , nobody is forcing you to get it.

Last edited:
While I would very much prefer a liftback design in the Model 3, I already have a Model S for hauling stuff around and I have no intention of getting rid of the Model S. That said, I'm also not a fan of glass tops... sure, they look neat and the feeling of openness is really cool, but it can hit 114*F out here in the summer and get down to around 12*F or so in the winter and glass tops tend to do a very poor job of shielding occupants from those sorts of extremes.

But, whatever, I'll make due with whatever they decide on for the production model... :rolleyes:

Crossovers aren't for cargo, they're for ground clearance or high seating position. If you just want cargo space you get a wagon.

Right. I don't want a big crossover. My current car weighs 1940lbs and is 49" tall, has gocart like handling and 1g lateral accleration (R-tires), but with the liftback it can haul 8' christmas trees, beds, furniture, wood, etc. Just takes a bungee cord and some reusable shopping bags for padding.

Also I don't want a glass top and hate sunroofs (I actually ripped out my current car's sunroof and replaced it with carbon fiber plug). Why have such an expensive feature (huge expensive pane of glass) on a "budget" car?

Since you put "budget" in quotations, I have to assume you realize that it isn't. So, there is your answer.

The reason they've gone with glass was explained...your dislike of sunroofs does not make it a poor design choice for the segment.