Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 now 2 years old - service required?

interbear

May 27, 2019
Monmouthshire, UK
So my Sept 2019 Model 3 is approaching it‘s 2nd birthday. Only done 12.5k miles. Reading online I see that this is the time to get air filter, brake fluid etc checked via Tesla service. Has anyone done this? How much do Tesla charge for it? I also read about rotating tyres but this seems unnecessary on a AWD vehicle I’d have thought. Anyway, any guidance or experiences appreciated.

Dasher

Mar 9, 2020
South Gloucestershire
I am also wondering about doing my first service through Tesla, at 20,000 miles. I believe that there is at least one modification due to these relatively early RHD Model 3s - something affecting a potential wet wiring loom, I think, and possibly checking/lubricating a suspension arm. It would be sensible to get these done under warranty. I don't have a feel what Tesla would charge to check the brake fluid and brakes, so it would be helpful to know if anyone has had that done.

davidmc

May 20, 2019
Leicester
So my Sept 2019 Model 3 is approaching it‘s 2nd birthday. Only done 12.5k miles. Reading online I see that this is the time to get air filter, brake fluid etc checked via Tesla service. Has anyone done this? How much do Tesla charge for it? I also read about rotating tyres but this seems unnecessary on a AWD vehicle I’d have thought. Anyway, any guidance or experiences appreciated.
Mine just past the 2 year and I have done the following

Tyres - changed at 30k miles in May/June - mine seemed to have lasted a long time.

Changed filter last week - bought Tesla ones at £15 each (need 2) - great vid on here somewhere that shows you an easy way to do it for the RHD.

Break oil check - £10 break fluid checker which i did a few weeks ago and fluid is still in very good condition - electronic device you dip in and gives you a result % (bought on eBay) . Also the break oil level was checked and no need to top up.

Check break pads and disks - not done yet but when I get time my friend has the kit to lift, check and grease up each wheel break set.

Reactions: teaston

GeorgeSymonds

Mar 16, 2018
UK
You can easily check if your car is subject to a recall as Tesla provide a VIN look up facility

As for servicing, there are some guidance activities listed by Tesla such as brake fluid, filter changes etc. Once the car is 3 years old it will of cource get an MOT which will check things over. But I opted to use an independent with my old MS and took it in for what they recommended, they cleaned the filter, picked up a couple of bushes were wearing, etc and all good. I ebded up syncing it with the MOT they also did.. kind of an MOT++

Wheel alignment is another aspect worth thinking about periodically.

I don't really trust the "you don't need the car serviced" which some owners seem to go on about, an the MOT alone isn;t really enough.

TL;DR.. Tesla say no need, common sense in my book says get it done about every 2 years/25k miles.

UrbanSplash

Nov 10, 2019
UK
I can’t understand why people seem to go to Tesla to do these minor checks etc. It’s not like you’re protecting the warranty and need the magic ‘stamp’.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC