Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 now 2 years old - service required?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So my Sept 2019 Model 3 is approaching it‘s 2nd birthday. Only done 12.5k miles. Reading online I see that this is the time to get air filter, brake fluid etc checked via Tesla service. Has anyone done this? How much do Tesla charge for it? I also read about rotating tyres but this seems unnecessary on a AWD vehicle I’d have thought. Anyway, any guidance or experiences appreciated.

I am also wondering about doing my first service through Tesla, at 20,000 miles. I believe that there is at least one modification due to these relatively early RHD Model 3s - something affecting a potential wet wiring loom, I think, and possibly checking/lubricating a suspension arm. It would be sensible to get these done under warranty. I don't have a feel what Tesla would charge to check the brake fluid and brakes, so it would be helpful to know if anyone has had that done.

So my Sept 2019 Model 3 is approaching it‘s 2nd birthday. Only done 12.5k miles. Reading online I see that this is the time to get air filter, brake fluid etc checked via Tesla service. Has anyone done this? How much do Tesla charge for it? I also read about rotating tyres but this seems unnecessary on a AWD vehicle I’d have thought. Anyway, any guidance or experiences appreciated.
Mine just past the 2 year and I have done the following

Tyres - changed at 30k miles in May/June - mine seemed to have lasted a long time.

Changed filter last week - bought Tesla ones at £15 each (need 2) - great vid on here somewhere that shows you an easy way to do it for the RHD.

Break oil check - £10 break fluid checker which i did a few weeks ago and fluid is still in very good condition - electronic device you dip in and gives you a result % (bought on eBay) . Also the break oil level was checked and no need to top up.

Check break pads and disks - not done yet but when I get time my friend has the kit to lift, check and grease up each wheel break set.

Reactions: teaston
You can easily check if your car is subject to a recall as Tesla provide a VIN look up facility

As for servicing, there are some guidance activities listed by Tesla such as brake fluid, filter changes etc. Once the car is 3 years old it will of cource get an MOT which will check things over. But I opted to use an independent with my old MS and took it in for what they recommended, they cleaned the filter, picked up a couple of bushes were wearing, etc and all good. I ebded up syncing it with the MOT they also did.. kind of an MOT++

Wheel alignment is another aspect worth thinking about periodically.

I don't really trust the "you don't need the car serviced" which some owners seem to go on about, an the MOT alone isn;t really enough.

TL;DR.. Tesla say no need, common sense in my book says get it done about every 2 years/25k miles.