Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Number plate options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How are the standard plates mounted?
A plate mount is fitted to the front bumper and rear boot lid. This has two holes on the upper edge to accept the licence plate screws. Front mount is about the size of the black on white NSW plate. Rear one is roughly the same. Took these pics of an LR in the Chatswood showroom yesterday.

IMG_6104.jpg

IMG_6105.jpg

I raised the issue of number plates soon after I ordered my car
I have plates that were issued a couple of cars ago that are sort-of personalised by accident, and I want to put them on my Tesla
first response was that I had to deal with this myself after delivery
I pursued this further, and was reassured that if I could supply the plates to the delivery team they would fit them
then some weeks later they came back and said that’s only possible if I’m trading in - something to do with different arrangements in NSW
which means:
I buy new plates for current car and Service NSW holds the original plates
after delivery I take the car and plates to SNSW and swap them there
annoying and more cost, but not impossible

Can I please ask members who received the Tesla number plate covers (looks like Altrex covers), do they simply clip on to the front of the number plate from the front using those 4 clips at the corners like the image below?

Altrex.jpg

Does it mean there's no separate backing plate supporting the number plate, and the number plate actually is screwed directly to the Tesla bumper bracket?

I am thinking of swapping over to the Kingpin plate covers, which uses a separate plastic backing plate (screws onto the Tesla bracket). Then a transparent cover with an internal rubber gasket is attached to the backing plate via 4 screws at each corner. I think this provides a more elegant look with front & rear protection to the number plate.

Kingpin Slimline Backing Plate ($15 each @ Autobarn)

KingPin Backing.jpg

Kingpin KP006 for VIC Slimline Plates ($40 per pair @ Autobarn)
Kingpin KP006.jpg

Definitely Altrex and simple clip..

On my delivery day I brought my Euro Plates off old car to delivery centre. Had Tesla drill them to their guide, then drove straight to RMS Bondi myself to swap the paperwork.

It's strange that Tesla can't do what pretty much every other car dealer in NSW does, and they manage to do in Vic.

Last edited:
I am running traditional black plates in NSW, they are both 254mm (w) X 134mm (h) and fit perfectly.

I remember going through the same ordeal. Tesla sales rep was good and provided as much information as possible and checked with the support teams.

Like others, I had to take delivery of my M3 with standard plates, then got to the local Service NSW and pick up my plates, grit my teeth, cross my fingers and hope the plates fit.

could only mount slimline plates (10cm high). Anything taller will cause issues

Strange. What state?

I had issues with my NSW Original Euro (now Wide) which are 520x110 (but the same size as most EU plates) when I had the Plate Cover on.
But think it was more down to width versus height.

But was quickly fixed by removing the cover and bending the plate.

I found that Loctite GO2 Gel works quite well as an adhesive for EV tags. My wife took delivery of a Volvo XC40 BEV 3 months ago which had tags affixed by the dealer. 1 x attached with a rivet; 1 x glued.
In Qld few personalised plates "play nicely" with EV tags. PPQ is a private company and not part of TMR. I suggest considering a 5 alphanumeric "Caption" plate (mine is captioned "Solar Powered". These are $615. The soon to be released JDM style may also be suitable. No idea of cost as they are not yet released.

Strange. What state?

I had issues with my NSW Original Euro (now Wide) which are 520x110 (but the same size as most EU plates) when I had the Plate Cover on.
But think it was more down to width versus height.

But was quickly fixed by removing the cover and bending the plate.
I am in VIC. I want to use a standard size at the back

standard: 372 X 132
slimline: 372 X 100

What's the problem you had initially with the EU plate?