Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Odb2 adaptors and Scan My Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Neilio

Jul 8, 2020
Brentford
Moderator comment - thread renamed from "Model 3 Odb2 adaptors"

Hi, I’ve just got a kit to connect to scan my Tesla. But I’m having problem with Bluetooth connection to the obd2 adaptor, connecting to a Samsung galaxy note 20 plus. The connection won’t stay up for longer than 30 seconds before it drops again. Has anyone any experience with these things? Is it likely to be a duff adaptor and if so can anyone recommend a good brand?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah thats the one I went for. Set up isn't bad. The only nervy bit is ensuring your car is shut down before you connect to the CANBUS. The trick is to log out of everything that might wake the car. Apps, teslafi etc. The back panel is also quite easy to get off.

When it works it works well. It's just the longest connection I've had is 30 seconds (shortest 1 second) and when it reconnects it takes a while to get the data back. Its very frustrating. I think I need to drop emobility a line.

Reactions: Louis0w
Don't want to be the bearer of bad news (or good depending). But you don't need to spend more than £25 to get the equipment for SMT. As long as you've got the Tesla M3 OBD interface and a Bluetooth dongle you'll be sorted. The one I got was here. Might be worth a punt?
19.47US $ 5% OFF|26 pin male female connector Tesla model 3 OBD II diagnostic harness electronic cable of new energy vehicle|Cables, Adapters & Sockets| - AliExpress

The £25~ package that includes a bluetooth dongle works well with my SMT app. Only issue is that it's Android only. If you want to use the app on iOS you'll need a WiFI OBD dongle which costs £90+

It’s the update no one asked for!!

I’ve just been for a drive using a blackberry key2 to run scan my Tesla. In 30 minutes I only had one disconnection. This Makes me think it’s definitely an issue with my phone. @speedyranger74 you’ll probably be running similar version of one ui to me. Did you have to change any setting to get a solid connection? I’ve removed scan my Tesla from the “optimise apps “ settings to ensure the phone doesn’t apply battery saving to it but this doesn’t seem to help

Moderator comment - new thread moved from "Scan my tesla" back into original thread

Not sure if any of you use this or are thinking about it. Just wanted to say the customer support is superb. It appears to be a one man operation. I was getting lots of infuriating connection issues with my phone. The developer himself contacted me and took me through a lot of steps to try and fix the connection. This despite the fact it had nothing to do with his application. It was entirely issues with my phone. I upgraded this week and the new phone works perfectly. I would 100% recommend this to any stat and car monitoring geek.

It’s the update no one asked for!!

I’ve just been for a drive using a blackberry key2 to run scan my Tesla. In 30 minutes I only had one disconnection. This Makes me think it’s definitely an issue with my phone. @speedyranger74 you’ll probably be running similar version of one ui to me. Did you have to change any setting to get a solid connection? I’ve removed scan my Tesla from the “optimise apps “ settings to ensure the phone doesn’t apply battery saving to it but this doesn’t seem to help
No, didn't any change.
Sorry for delay.

Anyone able to get Nexus Nexlink Bluetooth 5.0 to work with Scan My Tesla under iOS?

Trying to get one device that will work with Scan My Tesla, TM-Spy, and Dr. Prius under iOS.

TM-Spy mentions in a release note they added support for Nexus:

Dr. Prius only recommends Nexus for Android and iOS:

Dr. Prius doesn't like OBDLinkMX+ because it doesn't support BLE.

Nexus product I'm talking about:

Anyone able to get Nexus Nexlink Bluetooth 5.0 to work with Scan My Tesla under iOS?

Trying to get one device that will work with Scan My Tesla, TM-Spy, and Dr. Prius under iOS.

TM-Spy mentions in a release note they added support for Nexus:

Dr. Prius only recommends Nexus for Android and iOS:

Dr. Prius doesn't like OBDLinkMX+ because it doesn't support BLE.

Nexus product I'm talking about:
Not sure if it helps, but scan my Tesla on IOS can only work with wifi obd adaptors due to Apple dropping support for previous versions of Bluetooth, due to security concerns.

I ended up grabbing an old android phone out of the drawer to get the Bluetooth one working.

Reactions: RunHideFight