Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 odd sleep / wake behavior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It turns out that apps can still communicate when on Wi-Fi regardless of the mobile data setting, but there doesn’t seem to be a way to stop the app communicating via Wi-Fi that I can find. So I’ve also disabled Wi-Fi completely and the app can’t connect to the outside world anymore. Wake ups aren’t occurring as a result.
I was wondering if disabling wifi would help. Glad to hear it does! Hoping to get the newest version of fsdb so leaving wifi up for now.

Virginia has a new "choice" program for road use taxation of cars that uses telematics to monitor mileage. I was all ready to blame them for all the wake-ups (I get sleep/wake notices from TezLab) but was actually glad to hear it is likely something else. The new tire pressure monitoring that was suggested earlier sounds like a good possibility.

Working near my car long hours this last week I am hearing the contactors click on and off way too frequently, most likely keeping the battery charged.

I have the same issue and it does indeed appear to be TeslaFi in my case. I have used TeslaFi for years and only since last weekend have I had this issue where the car wakes every hour. I changed my password on my Tesla account and the car sleeps. It slept for over a day, I refreshed the token with TeslaFi and the cars behaviour reverted back to waking every hour. I knew the car was a sleep by using the widget.. View attachment 851496
Thanks for posting this, I also use Teslafi. I have never had an issue with this until recently. Tonight I tried deep sleep mode to see if that makes a difference. If so, I wonder if there are adjusted sleep settings that will make it work well like it used to.

Got a single sleep/wake notification at 7:15 this morning.

My Virginia Choice taxed mileage program run by Emovis claims the only API calls it makes are during a drive. They also collect location information. Emovis uses Smartcar.com (lots of code there, in case you're interested in API coding and want to test a small free account).

Seeing the same thing here, except that I do get longish periods of sleep (5-6hours) at night & only see the constant wake/sleep cycle during the day (approx 7am-7pm). Trying a day with all comms on the phone switched off to see what happens

Well.. no luck. EVen after rebooting the CPU/GPU with the brake/button combos, my car still has these odd sleep/wake cycles.
Next troubleshooting step is to change my Tesla password to invalidate the Teslafi token and see if it sleeps.
That is what Tesla had me do even though My only software (Watch for Tesla) had been removed. Didn't work. Then I removed the module and software that monitored the battery (and was the early warning about this). Problem persisted. Tesla got the logs and is still active on it today.

That is what Tesla had me do even though My only software (Watch for Tesla) had been removed. Didn't work. Then I removed the module and software that monitored the battery (and was the early warning about this). Problem persisted. Tesla got the logs and is still active on it today.
I tried disabling logging in Teslafi but no change. I then tried killing the iOS app and turning off Bluetooth, which seems to work, but not always. Regardless I think it’s not Teslafi. There’s another larger thread on this same topic fyi.

I tried disabling logging in Teslafi but no change. I then tried killing the iOS app and turning off Bluetooth, which seems to work, but not always. Regardless I think it’s not Teslafi. There’s another larger thread on this same topic fyi.
Probably the thread I started. Bottom line, I'm seeing reports like this from all over the US and the EU. Open a service request, pick something else, and put in about the behavior with IOS app 4.12.x. They are working on it but the more data the better. If they offer a mobile visit pick that and they will probably call you for more information. They have been messaging me almost daily so they are working on it.

Reactions: Pat.T
I have the same issue and it does indeed appear to be TeslaFi in my case. I have used TeslaFi for years and only since last weekend have I had this issue where the car wakes every hour. I changed my password on my Tesla account and the car sleeps. It slept for over a day, I refreshed the token with TeslaFi and the cars behaviour reverted back to waking every hour. I knew the car was a sleep by using the widget..
I don't think the widget is accurate. I both deactivated TeslaFi, changed my password, and removed my USB hub and sentry drive. The car still turns on the HV regularly.
When I've been parked since yesterday and hear the car clicking outside my apartment in the morning and open the Tesla app it says "Last seen 12 hours ago". And it was clicking in and out several times the night before as well.

It might be that TeslaFi "wakes" the car further which makes the widget status change, but it most definitely soft(?) wakes multiple times over a few hours.

I also disconnected the 12V to measure its resting voltage. The battery seemed fine. No change after powering the car back up either.

I've been dealing with something like this since Jan 2022. My issue can be tracked here: Multiple Issues with Model 3. Mine turned out to be a hardware issue. I'm still waiting on the part but let me say that this issue can be a nightmare depending on your service centre. I had a terrible experience dealing with Tesla Service in British Columbia and in Victoria. They were clueless after many attempts and one tech was very quick to point fingers at me for this. I'm now in Toronto and with Tesla Mississauga and they seemed to have figured it out in 2 visits and it was refreshing to have a positive customer service experience, they honoured my issue even though the 4 year warranty had expired in June 2022.

For those looking for a way to measure sleep and wakes, I have a 12V battery monitor and it's excellent at measuring this without "pinging the car".

I don't think the widget is accurate. I both deactivated TeslaFi, changed my password, and removed my USB hub and sentry drive. The car still turns on the HV regularly.
When I've been parked since yesterday and hear the car clicking outside my apartment in the morning and open the Tesla app it says "Last seen 12 hours ago". And it was clicking in and out several times the night before as well.

It might be that TeslaFi "wakes" the car further which makes the widget status change, but it most definitely soft(?) wakes multiple times over a few hours.

I also disconnected the 12V to measure its resting voltage. The battery seemed fine. No change after powering the car back up either.
On a different thread I posted the charging graph measured with a monitor module both before IOS 4.12.x app and after. Each "wake" the charge voltage would go from resting to approx. 14.1 volts then drop back to rest in a few minutes. Then the cycle repeats.

Turning off background app refresh for the Tesla app (but otherwise leaving bluetooth, data etc. enabled). seems to have helped for me - after doing that I've had 4 wakeups in the past 24 hours (one of which was triggered by me opening a door, and another was the car downloading an update) - much closer to what is used to be.

Reactions: Flybyglass