Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 OEM 19in Wheel HUGE Price Increase for 2020

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had Michelin x-Ice snow tires installed on my Model 3 18in wheels last fall for winter, and am now starting to plan my new spring wheel set since my old all season tires are worn out. I thought since I was buying new tires anyways it would be nice to buy a set of the larger 19in stock OEM Tesla “Sport” (also called “Stiletto”) wheels with TPMS so I can leave my winter tires mounted on the 18in wheels and not have to go to the tire shop twice a year to swap tires and instead change them out at home since I have the air compressor/jacks to regularly rotate the tires anyways. I knew it was going to cost more for 19in wheels, but I recently decided to hold off on upgrading to a Model Y and instead hold out for a Cybertruck in two years, so I was willing to pay to upgrade my Model 3 wheels. Reading on this forum previous posts showed the Tesla 19in wheels costing around $375USD each directly from Tesla in 2019 (also $420CAD in another post) or $1500USD for the 4 wheels plus extra for the center caps, TPMS, tires, etc. which is expensive but reasonable for new wheels and in line with the aftermarket TSportline 19in wheel options. I’m a huge fan of the Tesla OEM 18in and 19in wheels not only for how they look, but also all the aerodynamic testing and engineering that went into them compared to aftermarket options. Today I contacted my Tesla dealer for a quote for 4 of the 19in OEM wheels, and to my horror the price is now $650USD PER WHEEL!!! I thought they must be mistaken and that included a tire also, but they emailed the quote (attached) showing the price has increased from $375USD to $650USD each wheel for 2020! With TPMS sensors and center caps with tax the total was over $3000 with NO tires! The Tesla shop sells these wheels as accessories with TPMS and tires installed with labor for $3500USD for either summer or winter tires, but I need all season tires for spring/fall before winter tires go on, summer tires are not an option so I would be looking at another $1000+ for tires plus installation ($4000+ total) which I can’t justify. Two years ago the 19in winter wheel/tire package was just a few hundred dollars more expensive than the 18in option which is in line with the true manufacturing cost of upgrading from 18in to 19in wheels/tires. I thought the $3500 package was a bit steep for these wheels, but now at $650 each wheel the pricing is getting crazy! Luckily the center caps and TPMS are still the same price, but I’ll be holding out for some take off used sets for sale on Craigslist or Ebay and praying I never bend a wheel! Hopefully this isn’t a sign of things to come with future Tesla replacement part prices, they used to be very reasonable. I saw the Model Y now charges $2000USD to go from the 19in to the 20in wheels, and I’m all for Tesla making a profit and succeeding as I love my car so much, but this price increase has pushed me to buy used or aftermarket wheels when I would have gladly paid the old price of $375/wheel for new wheels directly from Tesla which was still profitable.

Attachments

• E8F88361-0B78-4972-B5E1-4B04CC19B1C1.jpeg
    E8F88361-0B78-4972-B5E1-4B04CC19B1C1.jpeg
    107.5 KB · Views: 298
  • Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
Look on the classified section, plenty of options there.

Yes thank you I’ll check. I’ve been looking locally, there was great deal on a set of brand new 18in aero take offs with tires for $1000 on our local Tesla Facebook group but they sold instantly. Right now somebody is selling P3D 20in wheels (silver color) for only $1500, but I don’t think they will fit my SR+.

Yes thank you I’ll check. I’ve been looking locally, there was great deal on a set of brand new 18in aero take offs with tires for $1000 on our local Tesla Facebook group but they sold instantly. Right now somebody is selling P3D 20in wheels (silver color) for only $1500, but I don’t think they will fit my SR+.
They will absolutely fit. Problem is do you want the heavier wheel and lower profile tire that is more susceptible to damage?

I bought a set of low mile take offs on eBay for $2395, which included original OEM tires, TPMS, center caps, and nearly new 19in non refurbished rims with no damage. This seemed like a reasonable price as I would be spending more than that to purchase refurbished wheels and new tires, plus it was through eBay with return policy if anything isn’t as described.

Wow that is insanity... I have some aftermarket forged wheels I'm putting on tomorrow. They were $500 each for 18" and less than half the weight of the aeroes and they look amazing.

Wheels

I also have a discount code on them DirtyMartian for $200 off (the total). I do not make commission on these wheels.

The $1500 is to upgrade the 18"s to 19"s when you order the car. That is not the same as buying a whole new set of 19" wheels. In your case, you will own two sets of wheels - the 18"s and the 19"s, so of course that will cost more.

Think of it this way - you could pay $2600 for 4 new 19" wheels and then sell your 18"s for $1100 and that would get you back to the $1500 upgrade price.

Tesla has not increased the price of anything - you are just doing an unfair comparison.

• Informative
Reactions: follow.johnny
Wow that is insanity... I have some aftermarket forged wheels I'm putting on tomorrow. They were $500 each for 18" and less than half the weight of the aeroes and they look amazing.

Wheels

I also have a discount code on them DirtyMartian for $200 off (the total). I do not make commission on these wheels.
Doubtful. The 18" aeros only weigh 23lbs with the plastic covers on. You're telling us your $500/each "forged" wheels weigh less than half of that? So like 10lbs each?

yep I'm dumb lol. Thanks for calling me out. I was looking at the wrong stats. The forged 18x8.5 are around 18lbs each, the 18x7.5 are 17.3lbs each.
I didn't know anything about them so I clicked on your link to them. Photos aren't great, but the guy on Instagram with the bronze ones has much better photos. They aren't a bad looking wheel and are pretty light weight. Not a bad price for a fully forged wheel! Still though, I can get a "rotary" forged Enkei for about half that price that weighs pretty darn close (19-21lbs depending on wheel).

Reactions: DirtyT3sla
I didn't know anything about them so I clicked on your link to them. Photos aren't great, but the guy on Instagram with the bronze ones has much better photos. They aren't a bad looking wheel and are pretty light weight. Not a bad price for a fully forged wheel! Still though, I can get a "rotary" forged Enkei for about half that price that weighs pretty darn close (19-21lbs depending on wheel).

Is it actually forged? Or flow forged? Because that's not the same. Not that it really matters all that much if you like the wheel and it's a good price, go for it. I can attach a couple pics from my car. I just installed them last night.

Attachments

• 20200213_205431.jpg
    20200213_205431.jpg
    314.6 KB · Views: 194
  • 20200214_084828.jpg
    20200214_084828.jpg
    631.1 KB · Views: 194
Is it actually forged? Or flow forged? Because that's not the same. Not that it really matters all that much if you like the wheel and it's a good price, go for it. I can attach a couple pics from my car. I just installed them last night.
Rotary or Flow forged are the same thing. While not the same as fully forged they are more than strong enough for the street and almost as light as what you've got, at half the price.

Reactions: DirtyT3sla