Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 OEM wheels on Model Y, works!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some users have replaced the Model Y 19" LR wheels with Model 3 wheels (19" to 18") in an attempt to get better ride quality. I've done it and want to provide my feedback. Here's an example video that explains the reasoning of doing this:

I just took delivery of a model Y 2022, and put on model 3 OEM wheels 2022. The tires I used were "Scorpion AS Plus 3" versus what is recommended in video above (Continental DWS06 plus), because the Continental are not rated for SUV while the Scorpion is. Everything fits and works! The ride quality definitely has improved, though it is still more on the "sporty" side. I reused the TPMS from my OEM wheels. I would do this again, hope this data point can help others.

I believe there was a post that analyses this in detail with wheel load chart. I believe the conclusion was that it is ok as long as you load your vehicle carefully. One of the axle was pretty close to the limit even when the Y is carrying no cargo, but when empty, no issues.

I believe there was a post that analyses this in detail with wheel load chart. I believe the conclusion was that it is ok as long as you load your vehicle carefully. One of the axle was pretty close to the limit even when the Y is carrying no cargo, but when empty, no issues.
Well, if by 'loading carefully', you mean 'load less'. You shouldn't assume that the load ratings and carrying capacity for the MY with 18" wheels is the same as with 19" wheels.

negligible issue. As the poster above said, as long as the center bore size, wheel lug pattern, offset for clearance, and no rubbing when turning, you should be fine with any wheel/tire combo.

negligible issue. As the poster above said, as long as the center bore size, wheel lug pattern, offset for clearance, and no rubbing when turning, you should be fine with any wheel/tire combo.
All I'm saying is that there was a in-depth study on this. I'm not an expert on this topic, but clearly others know more. I would read up on those before making any conclusions...

All I'm saying is that there was a in-depth study on this. I'm not an expert on this topic, but clearly others know more. I would read up on those before making any conclusions...
I think this is the in depth study I think you were referring to? One solution may be to look for a 2021 Model 3 wheel or newer. They will be rated for 750kg per wheel. The previous one was 700kg per wheel, based on this:

750kg would make the wheel ok according to the analysis.

255/45/20 on Model Y perf
234F252E-4334-46B4-B70B-2001293A147A.jpeg