Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 on display and possible to test drive ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I am from Norway and are going with my family on vacation on the west cost from San Francisco all the way down to San Diego this summer.

I have had my Model 3 reservation since day1 and we are very keen on seeing one, and off course possibly test driving one while beeing in US on our vacation.

Does anyone know if there are there any Tesla showrooms having the car on display in this area, and if so do you know if it possible to book a test drive at any of theese locations?

Erik

If you're in California you can go to any delivery center and see one but not really up close.

You cannot test drive at any showroom yet. You can try to rent one via Turo or see if a nice TMC member will let you test drive theirs.

I believe there's a bunch. I dunno if they do test drives though. I'm about to take my parents over there in a couple hours so I'll ask.

My local center has had one for about a month? I think they let you sit inside it, but we're kind of out in the boonies for California so people are a lot nicer here than in the more populated parts of California.

Confirmed by my local center that you can sit in and play with the car, but no test drives yet. They've heard rumors that once the delay goes down, they may get some for test drives but it sounds like made up sales talk.

Many of the San Francisco Bay Area showrooms have Model 3s that you can sit in and play with, but not test drive. I know the San Francisco, Palo Alto, and Santana Row locations all have Model 3s to look at. If you are in the San Mateo area (about 30 minutes south of SF), I’d be happy to drive you around in my M3 (not sure that I’d be comfortable letting someone else drive it just yet).

Just done a Model 3 test drive at the Sunnyvale service center. Drove a blue one, long range, premium, I think with autopilot but I didn't get a chance to try it. I was told this is a new test drive program for Model 3. I just happen to drop by two days ago and the sales people said they are running a pilot test drive program the week of 4th of July. So, I promptly signed up for a test drive.
Now I can go configure. Wasn't going to buy a car I have not driven before.

Just done a Model 3 test drive at the Sunnyvale service center. Drove a blue one, long range, premium, I think with autopilot but I didn't get a chance to try it. I was told this is a new test drive program for Model 3. I just happen to drop by two days ago and the sales people said they are running a pilot test drive program the week of 4th of July. So, I promptly signed up for a test drive.
Now I can go configure. Wasn't going to buy a car I have not driven before.

And? I assumed it met / exceeded your expectations? (given that you are configuring)

I signed up for a Model 3 test drive (or that’s what I thought when I clicked on the Model 3 test drive link) and I get a call from Tesla the next day asking if I want to test drive the Model S. Wtf, why is there a link to M3 test drives if they’re not available yet?

Depending on when you get to the US, official test drives from Tesla may or may not be available. You could consider renting a Model 3. Turo seems to be a popular choice. While on a business trip, I rented a Model 3 and used that as a test drive. Now I can't wait to get mine.

I signed up for a Model 3 test drive (or that’s what I thought when I clicked on the Model 3 test drive link) and I get a call from Tesla the next day asking if I want to test drive the Model S. Wtf, why is there a link to M3 test drives if they’re not available yet?

They still want to upsell if possible. It worked on my neighbor. Went from a Model 3 to a P100D! Can't blame them for trying when they've seen many cases of that happening before.