Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Online Orders 4/1 at 12:00:01 AM?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not sure if I'm going to be so "hard core" as to reserve in-person on 3/31, but am considering staying up past midnight to put in an online order early. Based on past experience with the S and X, do the online order banks usually open at midnight, or later in the day? Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure, but I'd guess they'd be midnight California time. The event will probably start at 11pm (or later) eastern time like the last two I watched (set for 8pm PT). I'm going in person just because the store in Charlotte already told me that they expect a line out the door based on the calls they've received asking about it.

I'm not sure if I'm going to be so "hard core" as to reserve in-person on 3/31, but am considering staying up past midnight to put in an online order early. Based on past experience with the S and X, do the online order banks usually open at midnight, or later in the day? Thanks in advance.

Well on the east coast if prior history is an indicator we will have to stay up past midnight just to see the unveiling!
Elon isn't known for being on time:smile: .

Ill be on a plane on the 31st but as soon as I am able i'll put in my online order. Historically speaking the Performance versions get delivery priority, but we already know there aren't going to be any signature versions. That makes me wonder if the deliveries will still roll out the same with the Model 3, with the fully loaded models being delivered first or if the reservation line is actually a line.

I don't have the source, but Elon said something to the effect of well-equipped cars will get built first. And this makes sense for any car, but especially the Model 3 where the profit margins on the base car are expected to be not very large, so the company will make a great deal of profit from the add-ons. So if you're in charge of making money for the company, it makes sense to roll out cars that make you $10k in profit vs those that make $5k in profit.

I still think there's going to be a correlation - no matter how weak - between reservation numbers and time of delivery, so I'm reserving on the 31st even if I don't spec it all the way out. In fact, because I'm not going to max it out (likely), that encourages me even more to show on up 3/31, as I really want that Federal tax credit, and if I'm not getting a Model 3 until halfway through 2018, I want to be in that first batch of <$45,000 buyers.

I don't have the source, but Elon said something to the effect of well-equipped cars will get built first. And this makes sense for any car, but especially the Model 3...
I spoke to a local store rep and asked about this. Specifically, "I understand the higher specced cars are built first, is that correct?" He smiled and said that they did that with the S, are with the X, and will with the 3 too. It's Tesla's normal M.O., not something special for the 3.

I don't have the source, but Elon said something to the effect of well-equipped cars will get built first. And this makes sense for any car, but especially the Model 3 where the profit margins on the base car are expected to be not very large, so the company will make a great deal of profit from the add-ons. So if you're in charge of making money for the company, it makes sense to roll out cars that make you $10k in profit vs those that make $5k in profit.

I still think there's going to be a correlation - no matter how weak - between reservation numbers and time of delivery, so I'm reserving on the 31st even if I don't spec it all the way out. In fact, because I'm not going to max it out (likely), that encourages me even more to show on up 3/31, as I really want that Federal tax credit, and if I'm not getting a Model 3 until halfway through 2018, I want to be in that first batch of <$45,000 buyers.
He mentioned it in the last earnings call.
They need to put a dent in the development costs of the car quickly - and the best way to do that is ship highly optioned cars first.

And honestly, even if the event is late, who are we to complain... lol.
Customers, shareholders, and simply humans that expect some degree of respect for order from a company that should be "growing up".

I don't mean that in the sense of wild-eyed wonder and creativity. Those are good things. But doing stupid stuff like pissing off press and potential customers by being hours late is counterproductive and rude. They have lots of experience hosting events, and it should show in future events. If it doesn't, it comes across as amateurish -- which is the opposite of what you want when you're trying to convince the mass of car buyers that they should trust you to deliver this new technology that most of the rest of the industry has worked hard to paint as impossible fantasy.

Customers, shareholders, and simply humans that expect some degree of respect for order from a company that should be "growing up".

I don't mean that in the sense of wild-eyed wonder and creativity. Those are good things. But doing stupid stuff like pissing off press and potential customers by being hours late is counterproductive and rude. They have lots of experience hosting events, and it should show in future events. If it doesn't, it comes across as amateurish -- which is the opposite of what you want when you're trying to convince the mass of car buyers that they should trust you to deliver this new technology that most of the rest of the industry has worked hard to paint as impossible fantasy.

I completely get where you're coming from. I really do feel like they should be on time too (actually I think they should be early to make-up for the past, haha).

I am just a pretty easy-going person.