TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Model 3 Only 1 Screen Officially

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by vusiness, Feb 22, 2017.

Tags:
  1. vusiness

vusiness Member

Tesla stated in the earnings call that model 3 only has one screen as opposed to 2 on the s and x so i guess they must have something else in the works. Now its Official

2. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

Can't see how this will really work for people unless there is a HUD.

• Like x 3
  3. ModelNforNerd

ModelNforNerd Active Member

There have been tons of threads on this after the first reveal event. It's legal. It will be fine. It's being done with Autonomous driving in mind.

• Like x 5
    • Disagree x 4
  4. PaulJB

PaulJB Member

I agree completely. In my mind, at best I could see a HUD as an option, but I fully expect only one screen with critical information portrayed on the left side of the screen. I drive a Prius right now, and the transition to a center screen was not difficult. Once autonomous driving takes hold, a traditional binnacle will seem outdated.

• Like x 1
  5. vusiness

vusiness Member

he added that it makes the car easier and cheaper to make so its all for the sake of getting in our hands quicker

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  6. flamingoezz

flamingoezz Member

Its so obvious there will be a HUD..

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  7. Model 3

Model 3 Active Member

Except that this was mentioned in connection with cost savings. They may get the HUD cheap, but not cheaper then a screen. And he also mentioned one computer vs. two (on one each screen) on the S+X.

• Informative x 1
  8. vusiness

vusiness Member

its pretty obvious but i feel like it was never 100% until he mentioned it specifically

9. 03DSG

03DSG Member

I heard nothing about a HUD specifically mentioned.

• Like x 1
  10. yesup

yesup Member

Actually, it is becoming more and more obvious that there will be no HUD.

Elon said that there will be no "bells and whistles" in Model 3, and the final production car will be "pretty close" to the prototypes that we saw.
    And the "one screen" statement also makes it clear - as HUD would in effect be a second screen.

• Like x 3
    • Disagree x 2
  11. daniel

daniel Active Member

I'd still like to have the speedometer on the dash right in front of me. I can imagine many issues with HUD: difficulty seeing it when the lighting is bad, interference with or distraction from my view of the road, etc. I guess I'll find out.

• Disagree x 3
    • Like x 2
  12. igotzzoom

igotzzoom Supporting Member

Not concerned. Speed is displayed in the upper-left corner. Will be an adjustment, but I have a feeling a lot of cars in the future will have a similar interior design. As noted, Prius employs central cluster design, and Saturn had it before that.

• Like x 1
  13. ModelNforNerd

ModelNforNerd Active Member

• Informative x 3
    • Disagree x 1
  14. Muhammad

Muhammad Member

What if instead of a HUD here is a realy advanced steering wheel that perhaps has displays that extend from it. When in autonomous mode, the entire screen assembly could retract reducing clutter.

I know its an added expense and complexity, but Elon is trying to make a good car, not the cheapest thing possible with an electric motor. This would be arguably easier than some HUD technology that hasn't been proven as well as be in line with the "like a spaceship" comment made last year. Elon did also mention close to the end of the call that certain aspects of the car will be "a lot better" than last years prototypes although the car will be generally similar. If the steering wheel will simply be another similar steering wheel, what other surprises could there be?

Thoughts?

• Informative x 1
    • Funny x 1
  15. hckyplyr

hckyplyr Member

There will be a hud. Based on the way he said there is only 1 screen in the conf call, I felt he implied that there was more...

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  16. dsvick

dsvick Active Member

Good god, I hope not.
    A screen that extends from the steering wheel would end up right in your face, how is that, in any way, convenient? Not to mention the change in focal point from looking out the windshield to then having to look at screen that is right in front of you. Also, how would a screen that folds up in and out of the steering wheel possibly be less expensive than a HUD, which is, essentially, a projector?

• Like x 1
  17. vinnie97

vinnie97 Member

Still do not like the look of the monitor that extends jaggedly from the center dashboard. That's probably my least favorite design aspect (followed by the front to which I can see myself actually getting accustomed at most viewing angles).

• Like x 4
  18. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

I can certainly get behind the idea of having one computer vs. two because there is really no reason to have two anymore. Not with the latest NVidia chips like the K1/X1. Having two computers also adds a lot of complexity.

19. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

The Prius still has screen up close to your vision where the speed is.

What I would find really annoying is navigation.

As to autonomous driving that's still years, and years away. Not only that, but it's going to take people themselves a while to transition over to it.

Now none of this likely matters because by the time I get a Model 3 they'll have the HUD on contact lenses.

20. Foxhound199

Foxhound199 Member

I just don't feel like "meets minimum government standards" is a very inspiring outlook on what Tesla should be aiming for.

• Like x 1