Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Only 1 Screen Officially

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
its pretty obvious but i feel like it was never 100% until he mentioned it specifically
Elon has never "specifically" stated any Tesla model will have a HUD. If you think he has, please provide your source of information.

Elon hasn't even implied there would be a HUD. He has alluded to some "like a spaceship" controls. Whatever that means. There will be something new and different coming from Tesla for a driver display. We don't know what, specifically.

• Helpful
Reactions: Falkirk and MIT_S60
Elon has never "specifically" stated any Tesla model will have a HUD. If you think he has, please provide your source of information.

Elon hasn't even implied there would be a HUD. He has alluded to some "like a spaceship" controls. Whatever that means. There will be something new and different coming from Tesla for a driver display. We don't know what, specifically.
I'm not even sure we know that. However, I still think a HUD will at least be an option if not standard.

Adding my thoughts, my current car is a bit of a technological dinosaur so I'm both nervous and excited for the Model 3, mostly excited but definitely nervous. Single screen business will take some time to get used to but I understand it.

And to those speculating on a HUD, be careful you don't start treating speculation as truth. Keyword: Speculation.

Reactions: mhan00 and Model 3

I meant more obvious that he has some kind of solution up his sleeve that won't leave people looking over at the center console to see whats going on but who knows.

It's a HUD people. @esup - $5,000 bet right here - I win you give $100 to the charity of my choice and publicly eat your shoe. I win I give $5,000 to your choice of charity and eat mine (see Werner Herzog Eats His Shoe). Money to charity of your choice - you're the most confident here in the no HUD camp. Friendly wager?

Yo, everyone, screen directly in front of driver IS NOT JUST FOR SPEED. I agree that I could get used to not having speed right in front of me, but a Tesla is a modern car, there is a lot of information provided on the instrument cluster screen. Energy usage, navigation directions, climate settings, current track can all be displayed on that screen. They are going to push all of that onto the center screen? I guess that could work, but that still isn't the biggest issue.

People are saying that it will be autonomous, so you don't need the IC display, but unless it's foolproof on day one you will still need to be monitoring how autopilot is seeing the road line, other cars, grab the wheel alerts, etc. Is that all going on the 2nd screen as well? where would it fit? That's the biggest question to me. It either points to HUD standard, HUD with EAP and/or FSD purchased, or it actually having an IC screen. I really don't think there is another option.

Actually, it is becoming more and more obvious that there will be no HUD.

Elon said that there will be no "bells and whistles" in Model 3, and the final production car will be "pretty close" to the prototypes that we saw.
And the "one screen" statement also makes it clear - as HUD would in effect be a second screen.

Cool. More declarative statements from you that you don't actually know the truth about.

What if instead of a HUD here is a realy advanced steering wheel that perhaps has displays that extend from it. When in autonomous mode, the entire screen assembly could retract reducing clutter.

I know its an added expense and complexity, but Elon is trying to make a good car, not the cheapest thing possible with an electric motor. This would be arguably easier than some HUD technology that hasn't been proven as well as be in line with the "like a spaceship" comment made last year. Elon did also mention close to the end of the call that certain aspects of the car will be "a lot better" than last years prototypes although the car will be generally similar. If the steering wheel will simply be another similar steering wheel, what other surprises could there be?

Thoughts?

No.

Sorry to say, but if the Model 3 has just the center monitor and NO HUD, that will be a deal breaker for us which would make me cancel our reservation.

I am prepared to sacrifice well-loved and usually wanted creature comforts like grab handles, storage cubbies, large trunk opening etc. in order to get a Model 3, but in no way will I (or my wife) drive a car that doesn't have the relevant driving information within the normal line of sight. Every person I know who has a well integrated HUD (and that means displayed in the line of sight on the front window, not some crappy little piece of plastic below) in her/his car says that it is the best and most natural way to get the necessary information as you don't have to take your eyes off the road at any time. A traditional binnacle is just as distracting as a center screen as you have to take your eyes away from the road to look at it, no matter what.

Then again, I still have high hopes that Elon has one or two aces up his sleeve, hence the "spaceship-like" comment. Wouldn't make sense if the production interior was the same we saw during the first reveal.

Honestly this isn't a deal breaker for me. I use cruise control so much that I just don't care for the information right in front of me. Once I set cruise control in my ICE, I'm just steering at that point.

I think people naturally don't like change and will over analyze this to death... lol

Regarding "spaceship-like controls", this is what the controls look like on the Dragon capsule:

interior_3.jpg

It's a HUD people. @esup - $5,000 bet right here - I win you give $100 to the charity of my choice and publicly eat your shoe. I win I give $5,000 to your choice of charity and eat mine (see Werner Herzog Eats His Shoe). Money to charity of your choice - you're the most confident here in the no HUD camp. Friendly wager?

I am not eating shoe but you are giving me 1 to 50 odds on the money, so I will take you up on that. I think there is a reasonable chance of no HUD (certainly > 2%) especially because Elon also said

Elon in 2016Q4 conference call said:
So, I think in terms of showing the final version, it's probably at least a few months away, maybe as far as July itself. It's going to be pretty close to what I showed at the Model 3 unveiling, but with more polish and refinement and a few more details that are added.

Sounds like there is not a lot of scope for big changes?

Agree with other posters that a centrally mounted display is not sufficient for vehicle information like speed, indicators, high beams and such. Lots of much cheaper vehicles have done even a basic hud for decades. A hud would hardly add expense to the overall product. I get that vehicles like the Mini Cooper have this information in the center but they use massive ugly dials to get the job done. I compare it to constantly glancing down at the radio. Not a good idea at all. I understand the movement towards full autonomy but having all vehicle information centrally located on one screen is a deal breaker for me.

Agree with other posters that a centrally mounted display is not sufficient for vehicle information like speed, indicators, high beams and such. Lots of much cheaper vehicles have done even a basic hud for decades. A hud would hardly add expense to the overall product. I get that vehicles like the Mini Cooper have this information in the center but they use massive ugly dials to get the job done. I compare it to constantly glancing down at the radio. Not a good idea at all. I understand the movement towards full autonomy but having all vehicle information centrally located on one screen is a deal breaker for me.

It would not be a deal breaker for me, but I would very definitely not be happy with it. Based on comments above and elsewhere, my misgivings about HUD may be unwarranted, and I might find HUD perfectly acceptable. But not having basic information in front of me really seems like an extremely bad idea. I want this car so badly, that I will get it regardless (as long as the acceleration in the P/D model is at least as good as my Roadster) but failing to provide basic information in front of the driver would be IMO a very very bad mistake.

I agree that with FSD is would not matter, but the car will not have FSD during the time I expect to be driving it. (I am pretty sure that in 5 years or so I'll be upgrading to a better Tesla.)

Reactions: N5329K