Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Only 1 Screen Officially

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Exactly. Here is another photo for comparison, and you can use the steering wheel position as a reference - you can see that speedometer display is much higher and much closer to the steering wheel than your AC vent..

tesla-model-3-live-15-inch-screen.jpg

The screen is not closer to the steering wheel than the AC vent in my car. Not at all. Not in any significant way. Look at stopcrazypp's overlay image for proof. You'll have to mentally adjust the 3's display a little left for better "centering".

Are you people serious? I specifically said the speedometer on the 3, based on its location at the reveal, is not an issue. Yet you spend most of your time replying to that.

I specifically said that reading a simple, digital display where the AC/radio displays are is not a problem. AP isn't a simple, digital display, in comparison.

Now you're suggesting the AP display will be smaller than the S/X? Smaller as in less visible? Smaller as in less information? Neither of those seem like wise safety choices.

And since you all are saying how close the screen is to the steering wheel, the wheel will undoubtedly block some of the leftmost portion of the screen. I even provided a picture showing just that possibility, which again, no one has bothered to comment on. Driving with your right hand (or left in the UK and other "wrong side" countries) will likely obscure additional screen space.

Are you people serious? I specifically said the speedometer on the 3, based on its location at the reveal, is not an issue. Yet you spend most of your time replying to that.

I specifically said that reading a simple, digital display where the AC/radio displays are is not a problem. AP isn't a simple, digital display, in comparison.

Now you're suggesting the AP display will be smaller than the S/X? Smaller as in less visible? Smaller as in less information? Neither of those seem like wise safety choices.

And since you all are saying how close the screen is to the steering wheel, the wheel will undoubtedly block some of the leftmost portion of the screen. I even provided a picture showing just that possibility, which again, no one has bothered to comment on. Driving with your right hand (or left in the UK and other "wrong side" countries) will likely obscure additional screen space.
I was lazy to reply point by point, but let me be more clear:
Driving home tonight (dark out) in moderate interstate traffic, I kept my head still and after focusing on the car ahead of me, I looked 1) down to my binnacle and back up to the car ahead of me, 2) down and to the right towards where my A/C and radio controls are located. For reference, this looks to be my exact interior, plus an alternate view.

It is very easy to move my eyes up/down from the road to your binnacle. So much so that no head movement is even required.

It's also not difficult to keep my head still and still read the digital display telling me the temperature/time/radio station. However, it's close to the limit of how far I can move my eyes without also requiring to turn my head. Not a problem if, as I said, all I'm doing is looking at a simple digital reading of a few numbers (speed, radio station, temperature). But most likely an issue if I'm trying to pay attention to what AP is seeing. (If there is no hud and no binnacle, the AP screen has to go somewhere, right?)
My picture shows your AC controls/display are significantly to the right of where Tesla's speedometer is located. So the baseline you selected is already incorrect, thus your point about reaching the limits of the eyes and it only being suitable for simple digital reading of a few numbers no longer applies. That was my main point.

I focus so much on the Model 3 speedometer because that is the general area where Tesla will put the critical information. You can make an interpretation based on the center of the screen (in which case your AC display and radio controls would serve as a valid proxy), but that is not what Tesla is putting the display.

It seems unlikely I'd be able to fully focus on an image similar to what is on the current S/X's "second" screen without moving my head. I know from experience, when I flip between FM/AM or or different A/C settings (actions not possible via steering wheel buttons), I lose complete focus from the road. How would that be different when driving with AP, if the AP display is on the singular center screen? Certainly Tesla isn't completely removing that screen from the 3? Once the car is truly autonomous, it won't matter anymore, but that won't be for years.
You then make reference to the FM/AM button, which is not only more to the right, but also way down. The AP screen is unlikely to be put anywhere near there (in the prototype, that is the bottom of the screen with HVAC controls are there).

I didn't have it in my original picture, but I added a green box that shows roughly the amount of space the current AP screen takes up in the S/X UI. Note how it's still much closer to wheel than either of the screens you were referencing in your testing (either the AC screen or FM/AM screen). As for my point about simplifying UI, there's currently a lot of fancy graphical touches (it shows a detailed image of the car) which is largely unnecessary, I think it can use some simplification and still give all the information.

overlay2.jpg