TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model 3 only charges at 2kW

Discussion in 'Model 3: Battery & Charging' started by navinsiri, Jul 2, 2018.

1. navinsiri

navinsiri Member

Everyday I plug in the Model 3 when I get home and the car will start charing at 9pm but only at 2kW. This only happens when the car starts charging itself when using scheduled charging. If I manually start charging then the car will charge at the full 48amps.
    Every night I have to go into the app and hit stop charging and then start charging a few seconds later. Does anyone else have this issue? We're using the Wall Connector wired for 60amps and the Model S never did this.
    Here's a video of what the app shows:

2. jamnmon66

jamnmon66 Member

That's pretty annoying. Mine's never done that. I think you should call Tesla on it.

• Like x 1
  3. silentsnow31802

Maybe it only needs 2kw to finish charging within your set schedule? Have you tried it with the battery at a much lower state of charge?

4. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

I think you have a wiring problem. When you start you are at 252V but then it drops to like 238V. That is a LARGE voltage drop meaning you have a lose connection or an undersized wire. Check for heat and ensure connections are tight. If the Tesla sees a large voltage drop it backs off the current.

5. Lloyd

Lloyd Well-Known Member

There were some reports of model 3’s not playing well with gen1 HPWC’s

6. navinsiri

navinsiri Member

I just called and he said he never saw the issue before. He forwarded the logs to the diag team and I should get a call within a day or two. He also said they can send mobile service so they can get real time data as I reproduce the issue.

I dont think the car knows when it has to be done by. There's no setting for that

It drops from 241V to 232V. I'm not sure if a 9V (3.7%) drop is a lot, but I'll definitely double check the wiring where I can.

I should've been more specific. This is a Gen 2 wall connector that is load sharing with another wall connector, but no vehicle uses that second wall connector.

7. timk225

timk225 Active Member

Does the problem happen if you use that other wall connector?

8. jamnmon66

jamnmon66 Member

I'm interested if you find a solution. Please keep us updated if you have any luck.