Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 only charges at 2kW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Everyday I plug in the Model 3 when I get home and the car will start charing at 9pm but only at 2kW. This only happens when the car starts charging itself when using scheduled charging. If I manually start charging then the car will charge at the full 48amps.
Every night I have to go into the app and hit stop charging and then start charging a few seconds later. Does anyone else have this issue? We're using the Wall Connector wired for 60amps and the Model S never did this.
Here's a video of what the app shows:

Everyday I plug in the Model 3 when I get home and the car will start charing at 9pm but only at 2kW. This only happens when the car starts charging itself when using scheduled charging. If I manually start charging then the car will charge at the full 48amps.
Every night I have to go into the app and hit stop charging and then start charging a few seconds later. Does anyone else have this issue? We're using the Wall Connector wired for 60amps and the Model S never did this.
Here's a video of what the app shows:
I think you have a wiring problem. When you start you are at 252V but then it drops to like 238V. That is a LARGE voltage drop meaning you have a lose connection or an undersized wire. Check for heat and ensure connections are tight. If the Tesla sees a large voltage drop it backs off the current.

That's pretty annoying. Mine's never done that. I think you should call Tesla on it.
I just called and he said he never saw the issue before. He forwarded the logs to the diag team and I should get a call within a day or two. He also said they can send mobile service so they can get real time data as I reproduce the issue.

Maybe it only needs 2kw to finish charging within your set schedule? Have you tried it with the battery at a much lower state of charge?
I dont think the car knows when it has to be done by. There's no setting for that

I think you have a wiring problem. When you start you are at 252V but then it drops to like 238V. That is a LARGE voltage drop meaning you have a lose connection or an undersized wire. Check for heat and ensure connections are tight. If the Tesla sees a large voltage drop it backs off the current.

It drops from 241V to 232V. I'm not sure if a 9V (3.7%) drop is a lot, but I'll definitely double check the wiring where I can.

There were some reports of model 3’s not playing well with gen1 HPWC’s
I should've been more specific. This is a Gen 2 wall connector that is load sharing with another wall connector, but no vehicle uses that second wall connector.

This just started happening to me when using scheduled charging. When it starts charging in the morning, it is either at 2A, 4A, 6A or 8A. Charges just fine without scheduled. We have 2 HPWC - I use the one set as "master" and second one is "slave". My wife uses the second one for her S. 100A sub panel in the garage with 100 breaker for each HPWC.

@navinsiri did you ever hear back from Tesla about this?

This just started happening to me when using scheduled charging. When it starts charging in the morning, it is either at 2A, 4A, 6A or 8A. Charges just fine without scheduled. We have 2 HPWC - I use the one set as "master" and second one is "slave". My wife uses the second one for her S. 100A sub panel in the garage with 100 breaker for each HPWC.

@navinsiri did you ever hear back from Tesla about this?
They said they'll have to send someone to my house to view the logs as the car is doing this. But I said it would be useless since the car doesn't do it often or predictably. Still happens occasionally.

Are you sure your battery isn't a lot colder by that scheduled time?

How long have you let it sit at 2A?

If you manually stop and start it and it zooms up to 48A, then forget what I said ;)

When I wake up in the morning, that is exactly what I do haha! One stop/start cycle and it goes right back to 48A. Frustrating because I can't reliably use scheduled charging to make sure my battery is nice and toasty in the cold morning when I leave for work.

They said they'll have to send someone to my house to view the logs as the car is doing this. But I said it would be useless since the car doesn't do it often or predictably. Still happens occasionally.

Yeah, this sounds like a bug to me. Maybe an edge/corner case since you have linked HPWC’s which is much less common than a single stand alone unit.

This sounds like a case for Tesla to dive in on. Please do report back what they find (and keep harassing them as necessary!)

If you were seeing a 16a charge rate or like it backing off by 25% then we might have explanations for you, but what you are seeing is downright weird.