Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Options Pricing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
See my post about this. That is 100% factually incorrect. Both BMW and Mercedes, which the Model 3 has been specifically mentioned to compete against charge extra for any colors other than plain White or Black. Metallic, Pearl or multi color paints have always been extra.

NO KIDDING!

I am talking about FREE white paint. Tesla doesn't offer it. Damn near EVERY other auto manufacturer does.

I have repeated this over and OVER. I have no idea why you or others keep talking about "metallic" or "pearl" when I have NEVER mentioned either of those. Goodness gracious.

• Disagree
Reactions: reynirb
Many companies offer certain paint colors for an additional cost. A friend bought a Mercedes and Pearl White was like extra $3k.

This has also been covered extensively by many outlets including Consumer Reports.

Here is a quote from a CR article talking about this specific issue:

Beware car colors that cost extra

"Many carmakers charge extra for certain colors, and that can add anywhere from $200 to a few thousand dollars toward the cost of a new car. Metal flake and tri-coat pearl finishes that are more complicated to produce and apply are generally the culprits, and some manufacturers charge more than others. But if you're buying a BMW or Mercedes-Benz, chances are you're going to pay extra if you want any color other than white or black."

So, while White can be included with some cars, any kind of metallic or pearl white is usually optional.

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD AND EVERYTHING HOLY...

Your friend could've bought a white vehicle with NO ADDITIONAL COST. Benz offers FREE WHITE PAINT!

Hello. That has been my entire point the entire time.

• Disagree
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD AND EVERYTHING HOLY...

Your friend could've bought a white vehicle with NO ADDITIONAL COST. Benz offers FREE WHITE PAINT!

Hello. That has been my entire point the entire time.

Dude, if this is keeping you up at night, just cancel your reservation and get a Bolt or something.

As pointed out by several people by now, the only color available from BMW, Mercedes, Audi for free is Plain White or Plain Black.

Armed with that information, let me point out that the Model S, ONLY comes in Pearl White Multicoat if you want it in White. And it costs $1500 extra.

Yet again, that Color carries an up charge on all the models listed above, including the Model S.

So, it appears the the color palette carries over from the Model S, and probably Model X also.

So, you can stomp and cry and whine all you want whether Tesla should or shouldn't offer a Plain White color for free. They don't offer it for free on the more expensive S and X, but you want it for free on the Model 3, and think the world will end if they don't.

I however believe that there are exactly two people that care about this issue including yourself. Good luck finding the other one.

While you are at it, find me a 2017 Cadillac CTS or Escalade in White for free, or a 2017 Lincoln Continental, just to mention a couple of several models that DO NOT offer a vehicle in White without additional cost.

Last edited:
Dude, if this is keeping you up at night, just cancel your reservation and get a Bolt or something.

As pointed out by several people by now, the only color available from BMW, Mercedes, Audi for free is Plain White or Plain Black.

1. "Get a Bolt instead. It'll be better for you." and/or "Clearly a Tesla isn't right for you."

Both of those are sayings that intelligence-lacking persons say during instances like this. Stupid, cheap, lame insults and quips that should be retired from Tesla fan's vocabularies.

2. (After reading your bolded portion): No *sugar*. That is literally exactly what I have been saying this entire time. Essentially EVERY other major car manufacturer offers free white paint. Tesla does not. Tesla is wrong for doing this and should feel bad.

You should also feel bad.

That is literally exactly what I have been saying this entire time. Essentially EVERY other major car manufacturer offers free white paint.

And as I pointed out above. Both Cadillac AND Lincoln do NOT offer any White paint for free for several or all of their models.

That is of course unless you want to claim that neither Ford nor GM is a major car manufacturer.

And you were saying something about "intelligence-lacking persons say during instances like this."

Like making wild unsubstantiated claims sans facts....:D

Last edited:
And as I pointed out above. Both Cadillac AND Lincoln do NOT offer any White paint for free for several or all of their models.

That is of course unless you want to claim that neither Ford nor GM is a major car manufacturer.

And you were saying something about "intelligence-lacking persons say during instances like this."

You named 2 manufacturers out of 20 and claim you're right. LOLZ

• Disagree

Feel like I should keep cheering you on like one of those mother's who doesn't give up on their child.

• Disagree
You named 2 manufacturers out of 20 and claim you're right. LOLZ

I love how this argument moves on for you. First Tesla was wrong because almost no one else charges for White paint. It takes me literally 5 minutes to find literally two manufacturers that do, proving your claims are 100% fake, and now I'm wrong because the number isn't high enough.

I point out that EVERY SINGLE manufacturer charges for Multicoat and Metallic White paint, which is the ONLY type of White paint Tesla offers for ANY OF THEIR CARS. And as I pointed out already, Tesla, along with every manufacturer out there charges extra for multi coat paint.

So, while I know you love your rant more than the facts. That still doesn't change the facts. Simple as that.

I am hoping that by the time my reservation comes up (late 2018) there might be some changes to the options. Maybe production process will be settled and they can make some changes to the option packages. They do this frequently with the S right?

Id be surprised if they were exactly the same a year from now. Thoughts?

I am hoping that by the time my reservation comes up (late 2018) there might be some changes to the options. Maybe production process will be settled and they can make some changes to the option packages. They do this frequently with the S right?

I think the chances of Tesla tweaking and changing the Model 3 option packages are pretty much 100%. Looking at the history of the Model S and the Model X, they moved options in and out of packages and modified pricing up and down countless times.

I think they will try to group popular options into packages people like, and separate less popular ones into standalone options.

The option packages now are based on manufacturing efficiency above all else. And I believe Musk mentioned that this was necessary in the early stages to ramp up volume, but would be adjusted when production was running smoothly and they got closer to target capacity, which should be early next year.

Yeah, based on the other models, I'd say the chances of them changing options around are 100%. Let them get their production ramped up. Then we should see stuff moved around. It's just too premature right now. I mean, they haven't even started building the base model or dual motor ones yet, let alone mess with the options.