Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 or Buy my 90D when lease ends

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any help with the considerations would be appreciated. lease ends April 2019. residual $62,000 My model S will only have 20,000 miles.Need to decide to buy the S or turn it in and lease/buy a new Model 3.
I think free super charging goes with the S (right?) but only use 4 times a year for trips.Have to pay a yet to be set price to
super charge the model 3 Right? 65 to 100 miles less range on the 3 Right?
How would you decide? Hard to match the new delivery with the lease termination?
what else?
I know there a lot of smart people out there so any help/thoughts would be appreciated

From what i have read from other users is that if you are on a lease and you buy out the lease at the end, then you will loose your tax credit. They basically take that back! So best bet is to sign a new lease, or buy a different new car outright with financing

• Helpful
Reactions: MP3Mike
Honestly, given that it's 2 years away, you've got a long time to consider options. I wouldn't worry about it until you actually have 2 options to consider and it's closer to 2019.

Possible: Maybe the Model 3 won't be to your liking (or even be available generally).

Yes, your S will keep the free supercharging. Don't know what the 3 will have, but new S & X are given 400Kwh (approximately 1000 miles for an X) each year, and charged beyond that.
Between an S and a 3, I think the S will feel more upscale, but the 3, being so much newer, is likely to have newer software, cameras, and other hardware. Tough call, but a good problem to have!

I would think that the Model S that is available in 2019 will be a lot more updated than the current version. Just looking at the difference two years has made already, but this time it will be two years and Model 3, so a very different car.

...lease ends April 2019...

That's 2 years away!

I wouldn't focus on free Supercharging so much because it is worth the cost to skip it (unless you are a limousine company running 24/7) in order to get the latest tech at the time.

Then, it's up to your wallet. Do you want a roomier but more expensive model or do you want a cheaper and slightly smaller notchback Model 3?

Reactions: David29
Model 3 is not a notchback...

Would you have any newer evidence to prove that it is not a notchback?

It's been a notchback ever since it's been spotted.

go7i5glxgzwuw2mocbnq.jpg

By April 2019, you'll be able to buy a Model Y and get your S3XY back. Model S resale values will probably have taken a bit of a hit by then due to availability of lower priced alternatives as well as newer tech in the Ss. I bet by the time comes, the idea of buying out your lease will seem laughable.

I'll be facing essentially the same dilemma, but in September 2018. I also leased my car. The buy-back price seems high now, but who knows what the market values will be in 18 months? Nor do we know what the Model 3 prices will be, or how good it will be, etc. I agree with someone above who said it is too early to decided because the choices are not really yet known. Plus, you did not even mention the possibility of deciding on some car other than a Tesla, and it is likely that by late 2018 or early 2019 there will be several viable alternatives. So as much as it is fun to speculate, i try to avoid thinking too much about this dilemma and focus on enjoying what I have for the next 18 months.

The definition of a "notchback" is a car with a distinct angle between the rear glass and horizontal trunk. The Model 3 is more like a fastback because the roof continuously slopes into the trunk.

illustration-of-modern-notchback-fourdoor-saloon-car-illustration-id85594640
Not sure where you got your definition, but - Notchback - Wikipedia says "the third distinct volume or "box" is less pronounced"
By which definition the Model 3 is definitely a notchback.

I am also on a lease with two years left. I know I will definitely NOT buy my car at the end of the lease. Beyond that, all options are open. I still really like my 70, but I parked it after returning home from a long road trip over the holidays and have not touched in almost two months - I guess I am just tired of it. Another S....probably not. Maybe an X or a 3 but I would say is 50/50 at this point if I will stay with Tesla.

Not sure where you got your definition, but - Notchback - Wikipedia says "the third distinct volume or "box" is less pronounced"
By which definition the Model 3 is definitely a notchback.
Did you stop reading at that point? In the same sentence, it clarifies "especially where the rear deck (third box) is short or where the rear window is upright."

And then the very next sentence states: "Generally, the notchback refers to the distinct angle of the rear window in relation to the vehicle's more horizontal roofline and its rear decklid." Not seeing a horizontal roof or distinct angle of the rear window in relation to the roof/decklid.

And if we keep reading: "The term is derived from the noun, notch meaning v-cut or indentation". I don't see any such feature on the back of the Model 3.

Going back to your original quote, notchback references a "three-box design". Model 3 has only two boxes, the hood and the back. The roofline blends boxes 2 and 3 together with no clear beginning or end so how can you say the "third distinct volume is less pronounced?

Three_box_notchback_Fiat_124.jpg

And if we look at the definition of "fastback" from Wikipedia: "A fastback is a car body style whose roofline slopes continuously down at the back. It is a form of back for an automobile body consisting of a single convex curve from the top to the rear bumper. This automotive design element "relates to an interest in streamlining and aerodynamics, and has gone in and out of fashion at various times."

Seems like Model 3 is a fastback, eh?

I am also on a lease with two years left. I know I will definitely NOT buy my car at the end of the lease. Beyond that, all options are open. I still really like my 70, but I parked it after returning home from a long road trip over the holidays and have not touched in almost two months - I guess I am just tired of it. Another S....probably not. Maybe an X or a 3 but I would say is 50/50 at this point if I will stay with Tesla.

If you like paying for that Model S and not using it, I'll "store" it for you. Just let me know the mileage restriction to stay under. ;)