Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 or cheap Bolt?

Can anyone give good input

• Model 3

Votes: 58 54.2%
  • Bolt

Votes: 49 45.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure, but that SuperCharger map is only showing current ones. There are a bunch more planned in Oregon, which all say they should open by end of 2018. So he'd only have to go 6 months or so (assuming he gets the car in July-ish time frame) before a bunch more would open up.
And this map shows Electrify America 150+ kW CCS charging locations planned by late next year. Construction has already started at multiple locations.

ADA8DBAC-5485-4D7A-9923-3F54E5791745.png

Electrify America reveals new DC chargers

Just trying to be a bit realistic(and being that 99.9% of vehicles on road are ICE, it seems a used, fuel efficient ICE doesn't seem too much of a sin).

Whereas I would never buy another ICE not everybody is in the same financial position as me. For example, my son needed a car and I was attempting to convince him to purchase an EV. Tesla S and X available but too expensive, new Model 3 too expensive(and not available for awhile) so he ended up buying a used 2017 Jia Rio for about 10k to hold him over until he has cash for Tesla...maybe at that point there will be used 3 on the market.

Got it...the only EV one should buy is from Tesla cuz they dont sell gas guzzlers....but if you can't afford a Tesla...its better to buy a used ICE than an affordable EV. Glad you dont have any issues with Tesla selling thier ZEV credits to ...probably gas guzzling manufacturers. Still LOL.

Got it...the only EV one should buy is from Tesla cuz they dont sell gas guzzlers....but if you can't afford a Tesla...its better to buy a used ICE than an affordable EV. Glad you dont have any issues with Tesla selling thier ZEV credits to ...probably gas guzzling manufacturers. Still LOL.

Must tone down the snark dude...I'm guessing you're in your twenties?(Oh...I'm not being snarky just understand how that demographic communicates)

Sure, but that SuperCharger map is only showing current ones. There are a bunch more planned in Oregon, which all say they should open by end of 2018. So he'd only have to go 6 months or so (assuming he gets the car in July-ish time frame) before a bunch more would open up.

Well, they are making significant progress on the network. However, if you have been here a while, you will find that most of those sites said they would be complete by the end of 2017 and some even said by the end of 2016. Tesla just rolls the dates over when they get to the end of the year. It took years for them to finish the hole on I10 through the desert even though they advertised it "by the end of this year" each year.

So I would not buy the car counting on a network in my area to be finished by the end of 2018. It is way better to wait for the construction icons to show up on supercharge.info. Then you know they are actually in work soon.

Actually my gf just got a 1st gen volt she pays $190 a month. And for an extra $10 a month I can get a full long range EV. And my school does have chargers, I don’t know if they are free. I don’t pay for electricity at home so that is nice as well.
I just got my fairly loaded Gen 1 volt for 8k. Get one with some good miles on it because you will only be adding a ton more.

They are out there!

I really like it BTW. Seats are way better than the bolt, which is critical for me after developing some lower back problems and driving my focus which had no lower back support. The bolt seats were not horrible when I drive it, but it still worries me due to the use of all the hard plastic on the seat itself and thin foam. I can't really judge how comfortable a seat will be from a test drive (unless it's real bad) these things tend to show more after driving for an hour or so.

But yea if you can get a lease on a bolt with 20k miles a year for $200 get the bolt. I don't see how they can afford to lease them that cheap when they cost about $800 a month to purchase.

Last edited:
Where can I get a Bolt for $500 down and $200/mo? GM was offering low Bolt leases in Nov 2017, but I have been getting much higher quotes lately. I was looking into getting a Bolt as a second EV commuter car to the Model 3, but decided to pass at the prices I was quoted.
Capital Chevy they said if I wait a month or two they can get it to the $200. otherwise it’s $250 a month $500 down.

So I would not buy the car counting on a network in my area to be finished by the end of 2018. It is way better to wait for the construction icons to show up on supercharge.info. Then you know they are actually in work soon.
Fair enough. But then the same goes for the other map too. I'm just saying the current SuperCharger network is still superior to the other one (Electrify America), and if you're (not you, the other poster) going to show what that map will look like at the end of next year, then I'll show you this one as well. Both are subject to change with or without notice. :)

One of the SuperChargers slated to be end of this year will end up being about 4-5 miles from me. But that's based on a shopping mall being torn down and rebuilt, and while they have definitely put up some of the buildings and even opened some businesses, there is still a LOT to go.

Capital Chevy they said if I wait a month or two they can get it to the $200. otherwise it’s $250 a month $500 down.
Awesome deal...is that for the LT or Premiere? Just be aware of the limitations in CSS and DC Fast Charging infrastrucure...not a lot of DCFC out there (if you get that option on the Bolt). Road trips are gonna require more planning and CSS L2 charging will be awfully slow and maybe long road trips are not an opton for the Bolt...just depends on where you are going. But for everyday commuting use and the occasional longer trips ~100 mile one way...its an awesome car....especially for $200/month.

So I looked at the lease terms from a local Chevy dealer (Fremont, CA). $8495 drive off not including taxes, license and title. $189/month for 36 months. Only 10,000 miles/year with $0.25/mi if over. Only two at this price. That's how they can offer a low monthly rate; lots of $$$ up front, low mileage, restrict it to a couple of cars.

120 miles per day is a lot of miles. If you're doing that 5 days per week year round it's 31,307 miles.
Cheap leases are normally 10kmi or 12kmi per year, with $0.25/mi overages.
If 12kmi/year, assuming 32kmi total per year ...
Overages: 20kmi/yr x $0.25/mi = $5,000 per year ~= + $416/mo
So, that $200/mo turns into $616/mo.

Need More Information.

Do you know Tesla does the same thing? Their ZEV credit sales have helped other manufacturers immensely!

Definitely getting off topic(and sure there are threads that discuss this at length) but:

1. GM: research EV1 and Hummer...nuf said
2. Had Nissan really wanted the Leaf to succeed(more than 80ish miles of range) we'd all be driving 300+ mile range Leafs today. The Leaf was created solely to sell ICE cars in CA.

Tesla exists to: "accelerate the advent of sustainable transport". We all make compromises to push the mission forward and Tesla is no exception. They need to sell ZEV credits to finance building electric cars.

Anyhow, to discuss further we should probably move to another thread.

Let me get this straight.

You are asking if someone should buy a model 3 or a Chevy bolt?...........in a Tesla forum?

Holy smokes......the poll is tied 9 to 9.......I'm shocked!!! what is this world coming to?

It is a tesla owners forums which is slanted towards folks of considerable means. IMO, if OP has to ask if he can afford a TM3 he probably can't afford it. This is not to be dismissive, it's that wealth is built by making the right decisions and investments earlier in life and only spending on luxury items like a TM3 using the returns on those investments later. OP may feel bad using a gasser to travel 120mi, but his future self will thank him for taking the cheaper road while he is young.

Reactions: jamnmon66
Where’s the get a 2017 Nissan Leaf option? Assuming you can charge wherever you park during day... you could get a used one for about $10K. I bought one $14,5 new.
The new 2018 Leaf would be better for a 120 mile commute, and it is still cheaper than the Bolt. You need some margin. The CHAdeMO network is still better than the CCS network in Oregon.

Last edited:
Definitely getting off topic(and sure there are threads that discuss this at length) but:

1. GM: research EV1 and Hummer...nuf said
2. Had Nissan really wanted the Leaf to succeed(more than 80ish miles of range) we'd all be driving 300+ mile range Leafs today. The Leaf was created solely to sell ICE cars in CA.

Tesla exists to: "accelerate the advent of sustainable transport". We all make compromises to push the mission forward and Tesla is no exception. They need to sell ZEV credits to finance building electric cars.

Anyhow, to discuss further we should probably move to another thread.

Actually the Hummer was a civilian variant of the HMMWV military light personnel carrier. With only a low power high compression IDI diesel, it was actually 'green' for it's weight and was tested with 100% biodiesel created at a mobile algae fuel source, which is an ongoing test project. It is part of the single fuel program for the US military which includes aircraft, light boats, a motorcycle, pickups, personnel carriers, light armor, MBT's, etc.

You are probably confusing the 'green tech' Hummer with the Wannabee H2 which is just a Chevy truck that looks sort of like a Hummer to feed yuppie desires for a Hummer (>$100k) without the cost or low power of the real thing.

Nissan Leafs have always been global. With over 300,000 on the road, only 'city' electric cars made in China have sold more. Roughly a third of those are in the US. Leafs were available to everyone at an affordable price when most EV makers were Boutiques creating a handful of cars to feed rich folk's egos.

Easy mistakes to make. Posers are everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.