Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 or cheap Bolt?

Can anyone give good input

• Model 3

Votes: 58 54.2%
  • Bolt

Votes: 49 45.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I own a model 3 and a Bolt Premier. I can tell you that the Bolt is a very solid good car. I haven't found the seats to be uncomfortable and I am 5'10" 190lbs. My wife really likes the Bolt because it is so easy to park with its birdseye view cameras. It is reasonably quick and the range is decent. Sure, it isn't as fast as a 3 nor as nice looking and it doesn't have EAP but then it cost $20K less. A $200 or even $250 lease with less than $1,000 down would be hard to beat for a premier with fast charging. After putting $20K down and getting the car discounted $4K with a less than 3% loan for 72 months the payments are still $316/mo. On the model 3 your payments with 20% down (no discounts) are going to be over $700/mo and more likely closer to $800/mo. The only problem with a lease is when you exceed the mileage and if the car has any cosmetic damage or needs new tires at end of lease. You can easily be looking at several thousand dollars with all of the fees they can hit you with, turn in fees, ding repairs, tire replacement, and anything else that the lease specifies so read your lease carefully.

Hold off with a ice car until you get your job then get the 3. Based on my experience with the Bolt its seats are very cheap and uncomfortable for long drives. Lets also be honest curb appeal is no comparison.
You will be saying " Man i wish i just waited until I could afford a 3" everytime you drive it. I agree with the earlier poster though would def take a volt above a bolt.

I own a model 3 and a Bolt Premier. I can tell you that the Bolt is a very solid good car. I haven't found the seats to be uncomfortable and I am 5'10" 190lbs. My wife really likes the Bolt because it is so easy to park with its birdseye view cameras. It is reasonably quick and the range is decent. Sure, it isn't as fast as a 3 nor as nice looking and it doesn't have EAP but then it cost $20K less. A $200 or even $250 lease with less than $1,000 down would be hard to beat for a premier with fast charging. After putting $20K down and getting the car discounted $4K with a less than 3% loan for 72 months the payments are still $316/mo. On the model 3 your payments with 20% down (no discounts) are going to be over $700/mo and more likely closer to $800/mo. The only problem with a lease is when you exceed the mileage and if the car has any cosmetic damage or needs new tires at end of lease. You can easily be looking at several thousand dollars with all of the fees they can hit you with, turn in fees, ding repairs, tire replacement, and anything else that the lease specifies so read your lease carefully.
I don't see the utility in comparing the Model 3 LR to the Bolt.

As a streeetchhhh, perhaps the Bolt to the Model 3 SR but you paid over $42k for the Bolt while the SR costs ~ $37k.

I like my M3, but have driven the neighbor's Bolt and would be very happy with it too, especially from the inside (ie, it's less pretty on the outside).
Disclaimer: I don't buy GM cars. Period

If the Bolt was made by some other company, I would have to swallow my bile every time I sat inside. The mishmash of pastel colors in the displays looks like a group effort in kindergarten to use every color in the crayon box.

As a streeetchhhh, perhaps the Bolt to the Model 3 SR but you paid over $42k for the Bolt while the SR costs ~ $37k.

The Model 3 SR doesn't exist except on paper. Might as well be zero dollars.

Well then your viewpoint is sure to be well-considered.

Reactions: N5329K

Even though the Chevy Dealer would gladly take your money...depending on the incentives...one could easily get a 17% discount off retail for the premier trim...so about $36K. The LT trim would obviously be much less....no one pays retail...come on.

Reactions: Catman20009
Probably not something you want (or should) share in a public forum like this but I'd need more info about your personal financial situation to answer your question. That said, my assumption is that you're not a trust fund baby and you don't have a large amount of wealth since you're still in school. If that's true, then I have agree with those who have said that you should be buying a ~$10k used car

With the two options you presented, with the mileage overages on the Bolt, it's going to get very expensive very fast. With the Tesla, it's expensive to begin with. Yes, either of those would be cheaper to "fuel" than any ICE but the monthly payment (or mileage penalties), depreciation, and insurance will be much higher... probably several times what you would be saving on fuel. As annoying as it is, you're much better off living within your means now and wait to enjoy expensive luxuries like new cars once you really get your career off the ground (pun intended ;-).

If the Bolt was made by some other company, I would have to swallow my bile every time I sat inside. The mishmash of pastel colors in the displays looks like a group effort in kindergarten to use every color in the crayon box.

Yeah, some of those GM are pretty fast. A man's got to know his limitations.

GM's quickest EV is nearly twice as quick as Toyota's quickest EV, the Bolt has at best 'adequate' performance for 2018.

We had an S and X. Recently sold the S while waiting for our M3 to show up soon.

We bought a premier Bolt as a daily driver and it’s surprisingly good on battery range (235-250 easily), comfortability and overall usefulness. I’ve had to use the DC fast charging twice in a pinch already and find it no different than supercharging.
We leased it for $500 down and $275 a month and couldn’t be happier. The EV toll lane exemption alone pays for the Bolts lease payment and will allievate a lot of miles from the Model 3.

OP.. I own a model 3... the car is freaking amazing. You get the acceleration of a BMW 340i and you get better lateral acceleration. You can drive the car like a total maniac and still spend 6- 7 cents per mile in electricity. You drive a car like a BMW 340i similarly and you’ll get like 16 mpg! You will spend nearly $4 to drive those 16 miles.

Just imagine what the $35k model 3 is going to be when it weighs 200 lbs less than my car!

The car gets autopilot which is surprisingly good. You drive a lot.. it’s a must have. If you can’t afford it it’s not a problem you can always add it later

The car looks really good. The front and profile especially look amazing.

Is there going to be a market for a $35k Bolt when you can buy a model 3 for $35k and you can get a really nice ICE for $35k?

Is there going to be a market for the $35k Bolt once the federal tax credit runs out? Is there going to be a market for a $450 a month lease on a bolt when that happens?

I argue there won’t be. And I have not even got to the part about lack of supercharging.

We had an S and X. Recently sold the S while waiting for our M3 to show up soon.

We bought a premier Bolt as a daily driver and it’s surprisingly good on battery range (235-250 easily), comfortability and overall usefulness. I’ve had to use the DC fast charging twice in a pinch already and find it no different than supercharging.
We leased it for $500 down and $275 a month and couldn’t be happier. The EV toll lane exemption alone pays for the Bolts lease payment and will allievate a lot of miles from the Model 3.
I agree you have a good deal. But you have a deal that is highlly financed by taxpayers. I am not blaming you I am doing the same thing with my volt.

Once you remove the $7,500 subsidy that GM got your lease is nearly $500 a month. That subsidy is expected to be phased out soon.

OP cannot lease he or she drives too much anyway.

or you can get a fiat 500e lease return for about 7500.00 out the door abut 80 mile range so you would have to charge to get home but a nice car had on got the three traded it in was going to keep it to give to grandaughterbut she wanted an ice instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.