Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 or its Y variant will have falcon wing doors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow. That is awesome. Was Franz responsible for that concept car? I can see that on the Model Y SUV/CUV. I cannot see it on the Model 3 sedan, too expensive. But I would love it on the Y and can envision it working well as long as the Y does not have a third row, which I assume it will not.

Not sure, the Falcon door tweet just reminded me of these images from Red Sage's post awhile back (post 192). He seemed to think Franz had a lot to do with it.

The double row falcon door would have some engineering challenges for side impact safety. I do like the idea of having the utility of a sedan with the lines of a coupe.

I'm puzzled as to why you think a snow brush cannot be stored in the trunk or the frunk.
How do you open any horizontal surface (falcon wing, truck, or frunk), covered in a foot of snow, without clearing it first (or risk dumping a bunch of snow in your passenger compartment, trunk, or frunk)?

With a vertical door or tailgate, it's easy to sweep the snow off the top of the seam with your hand, then open the door without it falling into the car.

Dry, powdery snow is the worst. It gets swept off the roof by air currents when the doors are opened, and drawn inside, coating the seat.

Probably not issues you have to deal with in a San Mateo winter. :wink:

With a vertical door or tailgate, it's easy to sweep the snow off the top of the seam with your hand, then open the door without it falling into the Probably not issues you have to deal with in a San Mateo winter. :wink:
I have lived through multiple winters in Toronto and Wisconsin. I know something about snow and ice.
With the X, it appears it would be easy to use your arm, once on each side, to clear snow from the rear hatch and then open it without a large amount falling into the trunk. Then remove your snow brush and clear the roof.
I concede that this might not work if you are very short.

I have lived through multiple winters in Toronto and Wisconsin. I know something about snow and ice.
With the X, it appears it would be easy to use your arm, once on each side, to clear snow from the rear hatch and then open it without a large amount falling into the trunk. Then remove your snow brush and clear the roof.

Perhaps a market for an outside-mounting snow brush is opening up.

Good point - You could open the rear hatch a bit without going much past level to get a brush out. Much of the snow on the glass would likely stay put.

Perhaps a market for an outside-mounting snow brush is opening up.
"The SnoHolster - available now from Ronco!"