Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 or Model X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I know that they aren’t even close to the same ‘market’ but hear me out. I want to try a long range electric vehicle and Tesla is the only one that has my interest. I love the brand and Tesla’s mission.

The 3 is appealing because of price ~$60k versus ~$120k. I’d buy either pretty loaded, I want range and I don’t like having missing features on cars. Like how old Toyota’s and fords would fill voids with coin holders where features would’ve gone. I know Tesla doesn’t do this but you get what I’m trying to say. My only concern with the Model 3 is size. Is it about the size of a focus? I live near Chicago so I can’t test drive one yet to my knowledge and the only one they have in showrooms is in the city. Was wondering if anyone else was trying to decide between a 3 and a X or a 3 and a S and what they ultimately chose and why?

Reactions: derkan
So I know that they aren’t even close to the same ‘market’ but hear me out. I want to try a long range electric vehicle and Tesla is the only one that has my interest. I love the brand and Tesla’s mission.

The 3 is appealing because of price ~$60k versus ~$120k. I’d buy either pretty loaded, I want range and I don’t like having missing features on cars. Like how old Toyota’s and fords would fill voids with coin holders where features would’ve gone. I know Tesla doesn’t do this but you get what I’m trying to say. My only concern with the Model 3 is size. Is it about the size of a focus? I live near Chicago so I can’t test drive one yet to my knowledge and the only one they have in showrooms is in the city. Was wondering if anyone else was trying to decide between a 3 and a X or a 3 and a S and what they ultimately chose and why?
Maybe check out Tesla Model 3 Exterior Dimensions Comparison - Data & Analysis. The 3 is closer to the size of a BMW 3 or Audi A4.

We have a 2017 S now and have driven an X loaner. Haven’t driven a 3 but have sat in one and am on the wait list. Some random thoughts:

S - love driving it, great cruiser car, more posh and comfy than the 3 but ultimately about the same amount of headroom and legroom, wider than the 3 but sometimes feels like a big car when parking, late model seats are better than older versions by far
X - falcon wing doors are amazing, nice to have the door open itself but worry about complexity and parts breaking, wouldn’t get the 5-seat version, less roomy than I might have anticipated, awesome pano view out the windshield
3 - might miss the secondary display for nav and the split display on the screen, but great range and bang for the buck, minimalist, expect it to feel sportier, A/C is gimmicky but cool

• Informative
Reactions: Ormond and ChadS
I think you will be happiest with an S.

You get all the bells and whistles and don't have to spend 120K either. X gets less range than the S and is slower for the same battery pack because its heavier.

I think having a X and a 3 is optimal for dual Tesla families. But unless you plan for that kind of setup, S is a good middle ground for a first Tesla.

Main caveat of an S over a 3 is the price but that's not the only factor so you are good there.

Reactions: ChadS
We have a 3, S and X. I pretty much agree with D3xDt3Reaction above on comparing the cars, and with MXWing on how what you pick depends on how many you have.

Obviously there are some things that might force some people in to one or another. Price may force some to a 3, a need to haul children or elderly parents might force some to an X, etc. But it sounds like you think you could live with any one of them. Cool.

If I could only have one, it would probably be the S. Much more cargo space than the 3 (and quicker and a slightly cushier ride), but still cheaper, more efficient, more reliable, quicker and with better range than the X. And given that you like to have all the options, there are more options available than on the 3 (ludicrous, air suspension, biohazard mode, etc). The X does have a couple of extra cool tricks, though they are not compelling to us - we mostly got it for our elderly parents.

It turns out I can have two. (Having three is only temporary, until the S lease expires). As MXWing said, we are really happy with a combo of the 3 and the X. The 3 is the cheapest, best value, most efficient, easiest to park and wash, and has the most responsive handling. It has almost identical passenger space to the S except shoulder room for the 5th seat (which is also very similar to the X, aside from head room. I am neglecting the 3rd row, which you apparently don't need). It will be our general commuter and daily driver, and we expect to put most of the miles on it. I definitely appreciate driving a smaller car (I miss my Roadster).

However, the X is really handy in a lot of situations where the 3 might not work well (the S would be almost as good at these and has other advantages; though the 3 is even better at handling and price so an X makes sense over an S for these given that we also have a 3):
  • if we go to a rough trailhead and can use the extra ground clearance
  • if we are driving our elderly parents somewhere, it is easier for them to get in to the X, and handy to be able to open/close all doors remotely
  • if we are going to drive in snow (AWD wasn't available when we ordered our 3, but the X has it)
  • if we have to haul something that won't fit in the 3 (that is rarely anything other than my wife's bike, but she does carry that around a lot. Of course we could get a hitch for the 3, but she likes to keep it inside the vehicle)
  • when my wife goes on her annual 10-day girls' camping trip, the X will carry all of her stuff, and allow her to easily sleep in it if weather gets bad (she wouldn't like that in the 3)
  • I guess it will be most comfy if we have 5 passengers, though that will be really rare for us
Having two Teslas and being able to pick the right tool is obviously the best of all worlds, if you can swing it.

BTW, we got cloth seats and skipped the 3rd row seats and premium and performance packages on our X, and don't miss them at all. At least, not on that car, which has a nicer base sound system and just seems too big (and has too much tail wag) to use really heavy acceleration. Our S has Ludicrous and I WILL miss that when it is gone and I am driving the 3, but for people that haven't bought yet the 3 now has a Performance option that should be adequate for most.

Last edited:
We have a 3, S and X. I pretty much agree with D3xDt3Reaction above on comparing the cars, and with MXWing on how what you pick depends on how many you have.

Obviously there are some things that might force some people in to one or another. Price may force some to a 3, a need to haul children or elderly parents might force some to an X, etc. But it sounds like you think you could live with any one of them. Cool.

If I could only have one, it would probably be the S. Much more cargo space than the 3 (and quicker and a slightly cushier ride), but still cheaper, more efficient, more reliable, quicker and with better range than the X. And given that you like to have all the options, there are more options available than on the 3 (ludicrous, air suspension, biohazard mode, etc). The X does have a couple of extra cool tricks, though they are not compelling to us - we mostly got it for our elderly parents.

It turns out I can have two. (Having three is only temporary, until the S lease expires). As MXWing said, we are really happy with a combo of the 3 and the X. The 3 is the cheapest, best value, most efficient, easiest to park and wash, and has the most responsive handling. It has almost identical passenger space to the S except shoulder room for the 5th seat (which is also very similar to the X, aside from head room. I am neglecting the 3rd row, which you apparently don't need). It will be our general commuter and daily driver, and we expect to put most of the miles on it. I definitely appreciate driving a smaller car (I miss my Roadster).

However, the X is really handy in a lot of situations where the 3 might not work well (the S would be almost as good at these and has other advantages; though the 3 is even better at handling and price):
  • if we go to a rough trailhead and can use the extra ground clearance
  • if we are driving our elderly parents somewhere, it is easier for them to get in to the X, and handy to be able to open/close all doors remotely
  • if we are going to drive in snow (AWD wasn't available when we ordered our 3, but the X has it)
  • if we have to haul something that won't fit in the 3 (that is rarely anything other than my wife's bike, but she does carry that around a lot. Of course we could get a hitch for the 3, but she likes to keep it inside the vehicle)
  • when my wife goes on her annual 10-day girls' camping trip, the X will carry all of her stuff, and allow her to easily sleep in it if weather gets bad (she wouldn't like that in the 3)
  • I guess it will be most comfy if we have 5 passengers, though that will be really rare for us
Having two Teslas and being able to pick the right tool is obviously the best of all worlds, if you can swing it.

BTW, we got cloth seats and skipped the 3rd row seats and premium and performance packages on our X, and don't miss them at all. At least, not on that car, which has a nicer base sound system and just seems too big (and has too much tail wag) to use really heavy acceleration. Our S has Ludicrous and I WILL miss that when it is gone and I am driving the 3, but for people that haven't bought yet the 3 now has a Performance option that should be adequate for most.

^^^^^^ - yeah I can no longer contribute useful information here that @ChadS didnt cover.

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA
I think you will be happiest with an S.

You get all the bells and whistles and don't have to spend 120K either. X gets less range than the S and is slower for the same battery pack because its heavier.

I think having a X and a 3 is optimal for dual Tesla families. But unless you plan for that kind of setup, S is a good middle ground for a first Tesla.

Main caveat of an S over a 3 is the price but that's not the only factor so you are good there.

I don’t like the S. I don’t know why, I think it just looks dated I guess.

Reactions: P85_DA
I don’t like the S. I don’t know why, I think it just looks dated I guess.

The S is a most excellent vehicle but I too feel it’s dated (inside) (and too pretentious for my tastes). It is a big, boat feeling car after driving a 3 for just a few seconds. The S does have a ridiculous amount of cargo space.

3 vs X is like should I have a double hot fudge sundae or a 12 course meal; depends if I want to treat myself to a sugar rush or I want to not have to eat for the next 4 days. I chose double hot fudge sundae. Duh!

Lots of good info here. I chose X over S for three reasons.

1. Cost differential was under $5k for 100D configurations.
2. Wanted absolute max carrying and towing capacity.
3. Being older and long waisted, way easier ingress and egress with X.

Now that I have my Model X, with PUP, I have to say:

1.Self-presenting driver’s door has never hit anything in close quarters.
2. Self-presenting driver’s door never gets old.
3. Audio is awesome.
4. Heated steering wheel is something I’ve always wanted.
5. Bio weapon filter has been used to good effect.

Finally, grandkids just adore this car.

Reactions: Ormond
We own both a Model X and Model 3 and I find myself choosing the 3 over the X on a daily basis. Don't get me wrong, I love the X... it's probably the best car on Earth, but the 3 is nimble and fun and so efficient. I thought I would use the MX on road trips, but once again, I'm choosing the 3 because it's efficiency allows us to charge much less often and it's just a bad-ass awesome car. I'm told by my 6' son that the backseat is way more comfy in the MX, so if you will have large humans in the back seat that is something to consider. As far as cargo, I find the 3 to have ample space for any trip we take, including camping, so no issue there. Interestingly, since we have a six seater MX, we can't sleep in it, but the 3 has plenty of space for two adults to sleep in the car. If you get the MX, definitely go with the 100 kWh battery pack, we have the 90 kWh and on road trips we wish we had more range.

Or you can get a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV. It's not a Tesla, but has a lot of what you're looking for. Plenty of room, ground clearance, and can use gasoline when going on long trips.... All for less than 40k.

Reactions: Ormond