Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 or Model X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have an X and now getting a 3. Lots of good info posted here but I want to pile on a couple points:
- If you have a need for car seats, falcon wing door is wonderful
- 6-seat option in X works very nicely with kids, and if anyone's sitting in the 3rd row they can use the gap for extra legroom (if you don't get the rear center console)
- underseat storage in X is cool if you really want to load up cargo and 5 - 6 people. Didn't realize this until we took a road trip
- trunk access is "flat" on the X, makes loading / unloading easy. We've changed baby diapers in the trunk many times.
- The frunk on the X is sizeable enough to hold a costco "would you like a box?" carton

OP noted in his post "my only concern with the Model 3 is size". If size is even on your mind, why not just go with the X? I'm not saying the 3 isn't big enough for most uses, but why risk it?

BTW I have the 60D. Yeah I sometimes wish I had more range but if you only take few road trips, then supercharging every 120 or so miles isn't so bad. I plug in every night, not a big deal. $96.5k now for 75D

These are showroom floor models?
Yes. They were demo car, loaner cars, used in the showroom, or driven by an exec. Our S 60 was used in the mall showroom for a few months, but had only 18 miles at delivery. Saved $9,100 on a $78k MSRP, $16,600 including tax credit. These inventory cars also still qualify for the tax credit and full warranty. They go fast so you would need to talk to the sales person at a store if you are interested. They typically have only the 100D models as inventory since those are the ones they use for loaners. There is a also a Facebook group that posts good deals occasionally Tesla Showroom Deals. Probably the best deals happen when there is a major hardware change like the facelift or AP 1 to AP 2. People were getting P90D for over $40k off list price, making the leases about $600/month.

I'm glad I found this thread as am considering getting a Model 3 to replace my X at lease end. Another option I have is buying my X. I've got AP1, but I don't know of any advantages to AP2 at the time.

I do like the height of the X and have yet to sit in the M3. I'm waiting until the dealership has one.

I drove the Model 3 RWD yesterday, and was a bit disappointed. I kept hitting my head upon entrance unless I was careful.

It handled great, but the ride could be better considering that the M3 had the 18" wheels.

I was hoping to like the M3 more. I missed my MX rear-view camera. I'm sure that I could get accustomed to the 3 but it's hard to give up the little extras.

Reactions: P85_DA
I drove the Model 3 RWD yesterday, and was a bit disappointed. I kept hitting my head upon entrance unless I was careful.

It handled great, but the ride could be better considering that the M3 had the 18" wheels.

I was hoping to like the M3 more. I missed my MX rear-view camera. I'm sure that I could get accustomed to the 3 but it's hard to give up the little extras.

I'm surprised you expected a comparable experience to your X. S/X *are* more premium vehicles. Most of these responses are very granular and overthought.

If you want a more premium experience (bells and whistles) inside and out, you'll probably be happier with an X (or S).

If your primary motivation is to have a more exciting driving experience, you'll probably be happier with a 3.

Sort of on and off topic: talking to a Model 3 owner at a supercharger: he said it’s easier for the driver to get in and out of a 3 than an S. Yes? No? Maybe?

Yes. I had a S for loaner for a few weeks and it was not that easy to get into the S, because it sits very low. You have to kind of bend your head and twist and drop in to the seat. The X is very easy to get into like a SUV. I only got into the 3 one time at the Tesla store, but I don't remember it was that hard to get into it... it is more like a normal sedan entrance.

Sort of on and off topic: talking to a Model 3 owner at a supercharger: he said it’s easier for the driver to get in and out of a 3 than an S. Yes? No? Maybe?

I had an S loaner for a week, and for a large car, I did seem to have issues getting in and out of the car although this can be due to user issues - 30 years of lacrosse and ice hockey have affected my flexibility. I have no problem getting in and out of the 3.

• Informative
Reactions: Nilnoc
If you want a more premium experience (bells and whistles) inside and out, you'll probably be happier with an X (or S).

If your primary motivation is to have a more exciting driving experience, you'll probably be happier with a 3.

I think that you've summed it up nicely. As @TT97 mentioned, the S isn't that easy to climb into. When I return to the dealership for my new tires, I'll spend more time with the S & 3.

I have SX3, Each has their own merit.

The 3D is light, and easier to drive.
The 75D S is bigger, more features than the 3D
The 100D X has that cool FWD, auto doors, the huge windshield, bulkier to drive, inventory- $20k off, 5k miles, mint

When we do trips- we use the X
Local trips- the S
If my daughter is not using the 3, it's our go to car because of its size.

I would get the S if I only have 1 Tesla.
I still can't wipe the grin on my face every time I drive each one.

Hope this helps.

I drove the Model 3 Performance "Plus" with the white interior. It's fast and fun, but for the cost I can buy out my lease. I have low miles, but old hardware version 1. AFAIK, there isn't any advantage yet to the newer hardware.

I cannot help but think of the Model 3 as the junior model, although with the freshest design. I guess that's a big positive. I did notice the display is sharper.

There needs to be a support group for indecisive folks. Woe is us.

Reactions: Kalex