Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 or no? Need help!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In 2015 or 16 i bought P100D. Had it about a year or so and sold it because i didn’t drive it much. Fast forward to today and i am wanting to get another Tesla for a daily driver. I am liking the model 3 and also like the price. Looking to get one 1-3 years old. Will i like it? Or should I go back with a S? I use to know everything about Tesla’s and the hardware. I haven’t kept up with it since i sold my S. If i go with a model 3 is there any hardware or perks i should be looking for in model years? Thank you so much for any advice!

Looking to get one 1-3 years old.

Since it doesnt sound like you really "need" a car, you might as well buy a brand new one. The used car market is such that there is not much discount between a used one and a new one (if any at all).

Also, model 3s and S drive pretty different. Its kind of like saying "Do I want a BMW 3 series or 7 series?" I think driving one is the very first thing you should do. You will know whether you like it or not within about 5-10 minutes of driving one.

I personally dislike (very much) every model S I have driven, which is basically loaners. I think that people are sort of pre disposed to a size / type of car they like, whether its "sitting up higher" or "two door sports car", etc. Sometimes practicality makes us do something different, but... you know what other cars you have liked, and what size they were. I think model 3s are great cars, but it isnt a model S (and thats good for me, for some others, not so much).

When I bought my Model 3 Performance, it was about the same cost as a base Model S. It wasn’t even a question for me, as I have never liked big cars. In particular, the S is mostly bigger on the outside, but not so much of a difference from the 3 on the interior.

I have a 2 car garage and my 3 takes up plenty of space. I couldn’t imagine having to park a Model S in there and having to maneuver around it every day. Everyone’s needs and use cases are different. It wouldn’t be for me at all, but maybe none of this would bother you.

Reactions: MaskedRacerX
I am selling the car i have now in the next few days so i will need a car soon.
When i had the S I had a jeep I drove everyday.
Depending on where you live you may be able to find a Hertz rental for a day with a Model 3, or try turo.com and see if you can find one to try for a day or two. Overall I like the 3. I did not own an S, but drove a couple and I was unsure on the 3 and not having a display in front of me as a driver. My experience - it took me about 30 minutes to get used to it. It is not my primary driver, so once in a while I do a double take if I haven't been driving it for a bit, but settle in very quickly.

Your situation is where you need one now, so the order lead time for a new one probably won't work for you - so you pay a premium for something used. That is a very common situation, but I think getting to spend a day or so with one before you commit would work in your best interest.

In 2015 or 16 i bought P100D. Had it about a year or so and sold it because i didn’t drive it much. Fast forward to today and i am wanting to get another Tesla for a daily driver. I am liking the model 3 and also like the price. Looking to get one 1-3 years old. Will i like it? Or should I go back with a S? I use to know everything about Tesla’s and the hardware. I haven’t kept up with it since i sold my S. If i go with a model 3 is there any hardware or perks i should be looking for in model years? Thank you so much for any advice!
If you don't need a big back seat, there isn't any sensible reason to get an S really. The 3 will handle better, still be absurdly quick in a straight line, and use less energy and have cheaper tires. The money saved will buy a ton of cocaine or college funds.

We have both an S and a 3. I like driving the S, and it’s great for road trips, but we usually drive the 3 for local driving, and that’s probably a better option for you since you don’t drive much.

On the other hand, since you said “when i had the S I had a jeep I drove everyday,” maybe an EV isn’t the right car for you.

Reactions: IdaX
We have both an S and a 3. I like driving the S, and it’s great for road trips, but we usually drive the 3 for local driving, and that’s probably a better option for you since you don’t drive much.

On the other hand, since you said “when i had the S I had a jeep I drove everyday,” maybe an EV isn’t the right car for you.
Maybe the S was just his baby? I've had plenty of cars that I worried so much about that I drove a beater instead to work. What a waste. That's actually why I got the 3 it's so fun I drive it everywhere and don't care. I was tired of my garage queens that I only drove in fair weather on the weekend.

It's funny I was scheduled to test drive the 3 and the Y. When we got back with the 3 I said wrap it up I'm taking it no need to test drive the Y.
I bought mine used as well 2022 with 1k miles reasonably priced actually I think it already went up 6-10k in the couple months I've owned it.

Reactions: jjrandorin
When I bought my Model 3 Performance, it was about the same cost as a base Model S. It wasn’t even a question for me, as I have never liked big cars. In particular, the S is mostly bigger on the outside, but not so much of a difference from the 3 on the interior.

I have a 2 car garage and my 3 takes up plenty of space. I couldn’t imagine having to park a Model S in there and having to maneuver around it every day. Everyone’s needs and use cases are different. It wouldn’t be for me at all, but maybe none of this would bother you.
I’ve owned a Model S prior to my two Mode 3’s. I like my Model 3 Performance over the Model S in almost all ways. Same price (I had the 70 RWD), much faster, smaller where it helps (parking), but like @ODWms said, inside doesn’t feel much smaller.

So for me, I don’t miss the Mode S. The ONLY thing I do miss is the lift back. I wish the Model 3 had that instead of a trunk.