Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 or wait for Model Y and other questions

Should we get a Model 3 or Wait for the Model Y?

• what are you waiting for get the Model 3 NOW

• Wait for the model Y

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@drtimhill - why would the accident rates increase? Maybe when someone is hit the damage to the pedestrian is worse however I cannot see the increase use of SUV's increasing pedestrian accident rates. If anything with all the increased tech in cars (i.e. pedestrian avoidance systems) the rates should be decreasing irrelevant of the vehicle being a sedan/SUV etc.

@drtimhill - why would the accident rates increase? Maybe when someone is hit the damage to the pedestrian is worse however I cannot see the increase use of SUV's increasing pedestrian accident rates. If anything with all the increased tech in cars (i.e. pedestrian avoidance systems) the rates should be decreasing irrelevant of the vehicle being a sedan/SUV etc.
I read it as consequential injuries as well as people getting reversed over because of line of sight problems. I agree these issues are being mitigated as the average tech level of the fleet improves.

This was widely reported based on government statistics (Pedestrian safety: Deaths hit 28-year high, suggesting SUVs raise risk). Essentially the increase is in severity of injuries, but this also tallies to an increase in number of reported accidents because non-serious ones often go unreported.

@drtimhill - agreed an increased severity of injuries however just because injuries went previously unreported and now are being reported doesn't mean there has been an increased rate of pedestrian accidents due to SUV's

I'm simply relaying the reported stats and analysis. Apparently researchers have determined that the rise of SUV usage is the root cause. The link to that article links back to the original analysis, it's an interesting read.

They simply say increased injuries and more reporting, not that SUV are causing more pedestrian accidents and that is my point and correction....

The government stats show a correlation between the rise in SUV ownership and pedestrian accidents. The IIHS has attempted to show causation (Pedestrians and bicyclists). I’m not saying either of these are definitive, but I think it would be curious to argue that there is unlikely to be a link (though I’m aware that correlation does not prove causation).

Reactions: baillies
Hi everyone,

I’m trying to figure out what to do. Sorry for the lengthy post.
However, I been reading the Model 3 thread and at 600+ pages things get confusing.

I moved to Gold Coast, Australia from America a few years ago.
In fact last week I officially became an Australian Citizen.

I’m so confused as it appears the Tesla’s sold in America have different features than Australia.
I really can’t find any reliable site that offers up to date info on Australian Tesla’s.
Most of what I can find is now outdated as we know Tesla is know for quickly changing options and features.

I really would like a model X, but I’m not spending that much money on a car. In addition, to me it feels outdated when you compare the model 3 latest tech.
While it’s not I guess it’s like when a new iPhone comes out. Even though your old phone still gets updates...it feels outdated compared to the latest model.

So I have been waiting for the model Y
Based upon the information out now the model Y would be perfect car for us.
Only issue is I’m not certain if we can wait for them Y to hit Australia.
Which I’m guessing is at least 2 years or more away for Australia.

The model 3 has now become something that might be of interest.
Have spotted a number of model 3s around the Gold Coast and looks like the Model 3 would be suitable for us.
This might be enough for us or at least something to tie us over until the Y arrives in AUS.
Really having Tesla FOMO!

Long story short (I know too late)

I’m looking to lease a Tesla
Most likely a business lease
This is something that we have never done before.
Have always bought used/2nd hand card outright.
As cars are just rip offs and horrible use of finances.
No need to spend top dollar on something that drops in value instantly. When they all get you from A to B.

I have always wanted to go all electric since the roadster.

Currently we have a 2012 Toyota Prius C with currently 182,000 km
We are starting to experience issues with the Prius.
Central doors will no longer lock or unlock electronically. Y
out physical have the lock the car from the inside and shut the door.
Cost to repair is almost to the point where it’s not worth it. As you will eat into a large portion of the cars current resale value.
Other issues are starting to appear and Toyota service has mentioned these are early signs to major issues.
Which may or may not be true. But they have never tried to mention buying another car.

We are at that point where if any repairs need to be made…it’s just not wort it.
As the cars resale value is pretty low.

From a money prospective buying a Tesla is not worth it, when you consider we don’t ever normally spend anywhere close to what a Tesla cost on buying any car.

Given that we own the Prius outright from day 1 and the cost of fuel is minimal at best.
Outgoing cost and servicing does add up over the years. But still does not bring the out pocket costs close to the high up front cost of a Tesla.
Or, at least that what I’m thinking.

At this point in time buying a Tesla is for personal reasons, supporting Elon’s mission and doing our bit for the environment (for just a few reasons).

However, as noted above it looks like it’s a matter of time before we will be forced into buying another car.
I’m simply not interested in buying another ICE vechical or Hybrid again.
Want to go 100% electric and Tesla is the only brand that we will even consider.

My wife does not and never has had a drivers license.
So we are a 1 car family
Currently no children.
But wife would like to start a family soon (another reason why I want a model x...but just too expensive).
Or, this is why we will get the Model Y when it comes out.

In addition, we do have the need to carry large items on a semi regular basis.
So having the extra cargo room is ideal.

Keep in mind we have no clue what leasing a car is
Nor have we ever bought a car using financing before.

So I’m trying to understand the in/outs before speaking with Tesla or anyone else.
I have attempted a number of times to contact Pepper and Macquarie finance Finance to get more information.
Pepper says they are not longer doing Teslas.
Macquarie finance has not really responded. In addition, they won’t send me any documents without going through the offical process.

Being self employed what kind of documentation will they need?
As I will have to sort this with accountant and this cost $$$ for them to organise.
Unless it’s basic information.
However, seeing as the car would be purchased in a trust with a corporation as the trustee. This might be a bit more complex?

I’m the kind of guy that likes to search for the best product and terms.
So trying to work out if we can sort the lease on our own and end up better off (than going direct with who Tesla Australia uses)

While I know everyone can’t really offer much advise (as it really depends on personal circumstances).

Here are some questions that I thought I would post and see what the majority responses are.

Would it be a good idea to lease a model 3 and then trade it for a Model Y when they are available in Australia?
How does this work?
Even more so how would this process work with a lease on the car?

Our account has advised that lease is great option from a clash flow view point.
In addition, they have advised to do a chattel mortgage lease. \
That way we own the car and have the option of selling the car…if we wanted to.

I see from the Tesla site a business lease has a balloon payment option.
Given the timeframe for the Model Y if we were to lease a model 3...we would not be at the end of the 3 lease.
Can you trade cars while still having a current lease on the car?
How does that work? Do you still pay the lease out/ balloon payment?

Or, does Tesla take the market value of the 3 at trade in time, off the remaining portion of the model 3?

Would I be correct that there is no reason for me to do ceramic coat and/or paint protection film on a lease?
It’s just dead money since we won’t be the car at end of the lease.

Is there restrictions on how many can put on the car during your lease?

Can you have a Tesla electrician come to your home before you buy a Tesla to see what the Wall Charger install would cost?
Do they charge a fee for them to come out and quote the install costs?

For those who have a business lease
How do you go about claiming tax deductions for operating costs? We current take advantage of offsetting our tax with writing off our cars operating expenses.
Since you are not buying petrol but using electricity
How do you keep records of how much electricity to charge? I’m sure the ATO will want so kind of record keeping to prove how much electricity you are using to charge the car.
are there any other tax deductions you can claim?
Seeing as a Tesla does not have really any service cost to claim.
Might not be the idea car for those who take advantage of claiming these expenses???

I think that’s a good start for now.

Any help or tips is greatly appreciated, Thank you so much!
Elon has announced a new mega factory is to be built in Germany, and it will build model Y. Hence you might be in for a very long wait.

Elon has announced a new mega factory is to be built in Germany, and it will build model Y. Hence you might be in for a very long wait.

I think ours will come from Fremont but with only one production line it may take a while to fulfil US demand.

GF3 will produce Y for China and GF4 will produce Y for Europe.

Not sure if Elon will give more info next week but I guess US will export Y for all other regions till GF5 is announced. Maybe they plan for another Y line in the same location the CYBRTRK will be built.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they replace one of the S/X lines with a second Y line.

I think ours will come from Fremont but with only one production line it may take a while to fulfil US demand.

GF3 will produce Y for China and GF4 will produce Y for Europe.

Not sure if Elon will give more info next week but I guess US will export Y for all other regions till GF5 is announced. Maybe they plan for another Y line in the same location the CYBRTRK will be built.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they replace one of the S/X lines with a second Y line.
There will be a ute to fit in somewhere after next week

I thought the government stats show that speeding is the root cause of all accidents?
Hyperbole much? Please show us a quote or a study where a government has shown, or attempted to show, that “speeding is the root cause of all accidents”

There’s no denying speeding is a significant cause of accidents though. Here’s a study from QUT:

https://research.qut.edu.au/carrsq/wp-content/uploads/sites/45/2017/07/Speeding-screen.pdf

It’s a couple of years old, and the data therein older, but the laws of physics haven’t changed since then as far as I know.

One of their conclusions is that speed is the primary factor in about 20% of road fatalities, and that speeds over 5km/h above the speed limit in urban areas, and 10km/h above the speed limit in rural areas, doubles the risk of a casualty. So there appears to be a statistically significant causal relationship between speed and death.

Speed is bad for two reasons: (1) the faster a driver goes, they travel more distance in the time it takes to react to any event, making it increasingly less likely a collision can be avoided, and (2) kinetic energy is proportional to the square of the velocity of the vehicle, so the higher the speed of the collision the worse the outcome - more kinetic energy needs to be dissipated in the crumpled body of the vehicle and through the internal organs and body parts of the driver and passengers, leading to increasingly serious injuries and more deaths.

So in conclusion, the laws of physical tells us speed increases the risk of accidents, and speed makes the outcomes of any accident worse.