Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model 3 Order Tracking Spreadsheet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't know if this has been covered, but I as I rewind the sheet to December, and months way past, I can't help but notice quite a few people (not a lot, but still a number of them) who have not filled in the VIN or when they got the car. Am I to believe there are people from 4-6 months (and more) past still have not gotten their car?? Maybe its just they already got their car but got so excited and forgot to go back to the form and fill in the helpful info for the rest of us who refresh a website over 10 times a day.......

I don’t think the sheet is scrubbed for non-responses. So some portion of people enter their order but never follow up with VIN or delivery. Tough to separate the signal from the noise.

Can anyone think of a reason why I placed my order February 1st, in California, the state with the Model 3 manufacturing plant, yet I'm seeing people who ordered as late as this week with the exact same specs as my order getting their VIN before myself and anyone else that ordered in early February?

Can anyone think of a reason why I placed my order February 1st, in California, the state with the Model 3 manufacturing plant, yet I'm seeing people who ordered as late as this week with the exact same specs as my order getting their VIN before myself and anyone else that ordered in early February?

Because they are not in California. contrary to what most people think, Tesla prioritizes the people further away. Occasionally, a californian sneaks in for an inventory model but for the most part, cali cars are made last week of the quarter. it only takes them a day or two to deliver locally but up to 3 weeks to get across the country.

Because they are not in California. contrary to what most people think, Tesla prioritizes the people further away. Occasionally, a californian sneaks in for an inventory model but for the most part, cali cars are made last week of the quarter. it only takes them a day or two to deliver locally but up to 3 weeks to get across the country.
Can confirm that Tesla delivers as many cars as they can in CA on the last 2 weeks of the quarter.
Source: I delivered cars in CA last quarter :)

Curious as to what constitutes an order? Is it simply placing the order online with the $100 deposit? Or is having all tasks (registration, trade-in (if applicable), financing, etc.) complete? I placed my order on 3/8, but it was March 12 before all of the tasks were completed (held up by my bank getting the payoff info for trade-in). My EDD disappeared sometime Thursday (3/11) and hasn't reappeared since. I've seen several entries on the spreadsheet here out east which ordered mid-to-late this week and already have VIN's and some delivery dates, and my curiousity has me wondering if me ordering 3/8 but not completing tasks until 3/12 hindered my chance of snagging a car this month or not. Of course it's anyone's guess, but I still wanted to ask.

Can confirm that Tesla delivers as many cars as they can in CA on the last 2 weeks of the quarter.
Source: I delivered cars in CA last quarter :)
It seems the same can be said for Arizona as well. I ordered mine on 1/11/2021 and have been seeing the update delivery window change daily over the last 2 weeks. Today, I awoke to a new delivery date of 3/23/2021 - 3/28/2021 (today is 3/23/2021). More importantly a VIN is now assigned to me!

It is a little frustrating to see folks that order after me get actual delivery much sooner than me. That sales/delivery model needs to be scrutinized IMO.

It seems the same can be said for Arizona as well. I ordered mine on 1/11/2021 and have been seeing the update delivery window change daily over the last 2 weeks. Today, I awoke to a new delivery date of 3/23/2021 - 3/28/2021 (today is 3/23/2021). More importantly a VIN is now assigned to me!

It is a little frustrating to see folks that order after me get actual delivery much sooner than me. That sales/delivery model needs to be scrutinized IMO.
Just to update, took delivery on 3/26/2021! Car was perfect! From VIN assignment to delivery was 3 days.