Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model 3 Order Tracking Spreadsheet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How does the inspection process work? If i pick up my car at their site will they give me time and space to spend time to complete one?
You come, you get the keys, and you have some not too much limited time to inspect the car. I found a couple minor things, that were fixed on spot. Then you sign the acceptance papers and drive away. I would expect that more [serious] problems, if exist, will appear later after a few days, weeks, or months of driving, but those will be covered by the warranty. You basically want to make sure there are no scratches, evidence of crashes, etc. or that everything (more or less) works ... like the frank and trunk open and close as expected.

You come, you get the keys, and you have some not too much limited time to inspect the car. I found a couple minor things, that were fixed on spot. Then you sign the acceptance papers and drive away. I would expect that more [serious] problems, if exist, will appear later after a few days, weeks, or months of driving, but those will be covered by the warranty. You basically want to make sure there are no scratches, evidence of crashes, etc. or that everything (more or less) works ... like the frank and trunk open and close as expected.
I ended going to the long beach location yesterday with my friend who ordered a Model Y performance. They gave us as much time as we wanted to look over the car and even allowed us inside when they said they normally don't.

I ended going to the long beach location yesterday with my friend who ordered a Model Y performance. They gave us as much time as we wanted to look over the car and even allowed us inside when they said they normally don't.
Do you mean your friend was taking the delivery of the car or you were just looking at a random car? It sounds odd if you are not let inside the car at the delivery. At minimum you should be able to verify the configuration of the car, verify the car can at least power up and that the screen works, etc. before signing the acceptance papers.

Do you mean your friend was taking the delivery of the car or you were just looking at a random car? It sounds odd if you are not let inside the car at the delivery. At minimum you should be able to verify the configuration of the car, verify the car can at least power up and that the screen works, etc. before signing the acceptance papers.
sorry i should clarify, I went with my friend who was picking up his model Y performance. They aren't allowing people to open the car unless you accept delivery. They only allowed us to open because we found flaws on the outside of the car so they wanted him to feel more comfortable with the purchase. I asked if i can open my car when i come back on Thursday and they said most likely not.

sorry i should clarify, I went with my friend who was picking up his model Y performance. They aren't allowing people to open the car unless you accept delivery. They only allowed us to open because we found flaws on the outside of the car so they wanted him to feel more comfortable with the purchase. I asked if i can open my car when i come back on Thursday and they said most likely not.
"Most likely not" ... this sounds as they are just making up the rules.

Going through the spreadsheet I'm curious to know why most orders seems like more than 80%) is financed/loan. Besides myself and a few others there does not seem to be many people interesting these cars. I know historically some people have made money in either flipping these cars either intentionally or by just driving it and getting lucky and selling for some or more than what they bought it for. Is this the rational on why people are financing/ going the loan route? Personally the rational I used to lease was that in Canada there is 42 electric vehicles on the market today. By the time my 36 month lease is up there will likely be be 80+ electric vehicles models on the road from pretty much all manufacturers which will naturally eat into the Tesla Monopoly. By that time the 3 would also have had the same platform for 10 years. I don't expect to see the previous trend of making money or losing minimal on the vehicle given the competition but looking to hear what people think.

Going through the spreadsheet I'm curious to know why most orders seems like more than 80% is financed/loan. Besides myself and a few others there does not seem to be many people leasing these cars. I know historically some people have made money in either flipping these cars either intentionally or by just driving it and getting lucky and selling for some or more than what they bought it for. Is this the rational on why people are financing/ going the loan route vs leasing? Personally the rational I used to lease was that in Canada there is 42 electric vehicles on the market today. By the time my 36 month lease is up there will likely be be 80+ electric vehicles models on the road from pretty much all manufacturers which will naturally eat into the Tesla Monopoly. By that time the 3 would also have had the same platform for 10 years. I don't expect to see the previous trend of making money or losing minimal on the vehicle given the competition but looking to hear what people think.

Going through the spreadsheet I'm curious to know why most orders seems like more than 80% is financed/loan. Besides myself and a few others there does not seem to be many people leasing these cars. I know historically some people have made money in either flipping these cars either intentionally or by just driving it and getting lucky and selling for some or more than what they bought it for. Is this the rational on why people are financing/ going the loan route vs leasing? Personally the rational I used to lease was that in Canada there is 42 electric vehicles on the market today. By the time my 36 month lease is up there will likely be be 80+ electric vehicles models on the road from pretty much all manufacturers which will naturally eat into the Tesla Monopoly. By that time the 3 would also have had the same platform for 10 years. I don't expect to see the previous trend of making money or losing minimal on the vehicle given the competition but looking to hear what people think.
Many people keep their cars for 8-10+ years. Many families have kids now, who will need a car in some 5-10 years and the aging parents' car is often a good idea as a car for your child.

We tend to keep our cars for an extended period (as noted by the post above), so while the lease route holds some appeal we've never used it. There are new models coming out regularly, but we also consider that the time required to build out the charging infrastructure for the other brands to match the SC network likely puts us past a 24-36 month window.

lease vs buy is just like rent apartment vs purchase house
In a model 3, that is sort of true. However, that is not the case in most leases which give the option to buy the car for a predetermined residual value at the end of the lease. Most people don't understand this or leases, but that basically gives you the benefit of upside without the risk of downside. If the car did not depreciate as much as everyone was expecting, you can buy the car at the residual value with will be too low and sale it at the higher market value, pocketing the gain. If it depreciates more than expected, you don't buy the car at the end of the lease and let whoever you leased it from eat it the depreciation hit. If you liked the car, you can then buy a different one at a lower price. Unfortunately, Tesla does not give this option on Model 3 leases in the US, making them not as competitive a choice.

The reality, sometimes they are the best option for people and are legitimately the best way to acquire the car. However, people's lack of understanding mixed with people's distrust of the car industry has led to declining number of leases. When the auto industry was in more normal times, it was common for manufactures to artificially adjust the lease rates to incentivize them. They could have artificially high residual values to lower payments as the vast majority of lease payments are for depreciation. However, leases have a "money factor" instead of an interest rate and some people can't do the fairly basic math to understand how much they are paying for the vehicle. Bad dealers happily took advantage of some of those people giving leases a bad name. The lease is not the problem or a bad decision though, it was the dealership that took advantage of someone who did not know better that is the problem. It is easier to hide profit in a lease then a traditional purchase for those without finical literacy.

Personally, I've purchased around a dozen cars and only leased one based off an objective of having the lowest cost. I have no interest in leasing a Model 3 without the option to purchase it at the end. That makes it a rental, not a lease in my opinion. However, some places have different rules and some people have different priorities making leases the best option for them.

All correct. Though, I was thinking more on the front-end and not the exit.

Some people have a set amount they are OK spending per month on a vehicle and may also like to change vehicles often. If you want a new vehicle every 2-3 years then a lease is likely better suited for you over a purchase.