Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model 3 Order Tracking Spreadsheet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Random question. I ordered M3 SR+ on October 10th (Bay Area). Got an e-mail about an owners workshop on 20th and 23rd. Does anyone know if that means delivery is going to come shortly thereafter? Thanks!

I believe they are totally unrelated. I just placed my order yesterday and was invited to the Tesla event Wed/Sat. I am not expecting to get mine until late December.

Reactions: tren01t
Hmmm, I ordered on 10/18 for delivery at Fremont, and no invite to the owner orientation meeting. Should I be worried?

Either way, I won't be going, as they won't tell me anything I don't already know. Three days with a Model 3 trumps any orientation meeting.

Still, would like to have gotten the email.

Hmmm, I ordered on 10/18 for delivery at Fremont, and no invite to the owner orientation meeting. Should I be worried?

Either way, I won't be going, as they won't tell me anything I don't already know. Three days with a Model 3 trumps any orientation meeting.

Still, would like to have gotten the email.

Weird, I ordered the same day. Only difference is I entered my home address in San Jose for delivery.

From my understanding, based on comments from the SA, the Vin happens as soon as they start the production of your car. It’s stamped into the frame after all. So the source code vin actually means they’ve ‘began’ to make your vehicle. Seemingly, they know at that point when it’s slated to be complete and inspected, and will update the vin to your page once it has made its way through production. They’ll reach out to schedule delivery at any point during that process, as they’ll have a clear understanding of ship times and SC inspection times.
That is exactly what I've been told.
Once they start your build, your VIN is assigned at that time.
How you are notified seems to be the variable: shows up in source, shows up on Tesla account or SA/DA contacts you for delivery.
I'll take any of the three.

On the plus side, maybe the audits will prevent errors, imperfections, and problems we hear about at delivery?

My SA said that was their reason for auditing - to cut down on preventable/correctable issues at final delivery.
That is also why Tesla was asking the SAs to have everyone complete the "next step" details on our pages (uploading insurance docs ad payment details). I don't know that not completing everything will prevent a VIN assignment per se, but it will slow the process. Even though I don't have a VIN, I applied for a loan to complete my profile.

Elon Musk has said that it's the "logistics and final delivery" that has been difficult for Tesla and I believe that may long be the case in his company's new way to sell cars (no dealerships).
They keep promising they can make them and all systems seem to be a "go" for that....but they also need to deliver. It seems every little thing they can to do help that process is being done.