Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model 3 Order Tracking Spreadsheet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's too bad that short term (quarterly) financial reporting is being allowed to negatively impact the customer experience.
I think he kinda addressed that in the interview if you watch his face and body language when he talks about the complexity of building and shipping globally from one factory in Fremont California. He's clearly frustrated. He knows what's going on. Some things to remember:
  1. Tesla still can't build enough M3 per quarter to fully satisfy demand. If you live in New York and order a car March 22nd, there's a real possibility you may not get a car until late June.
  2. The Fremont factory has not increased in size and was already over capacity (hence M3s still being built in a tent in the parking lot) and now they're building the MY.
  3. Most people will wait as long as it takes to get their M3 even with long/changing delivery waits.
  4. From a technological standpoint, there currently is no competition (outside of Tesla).
  5. If somebody cancels their order, that car will be reassigned in 5 minutes.
  6. Positive quarterly financial reporting is critical to the survival of Tesla (as an automaker).
I'd suggest meeting/exceeding quarterly goals (until the Fremont Factory can focus exclusively on North American production) will impact the customer order wait time experience. And I'd venture to say most people quickly forget that experience within minutes of taking delivery. The internet and YouTube are overflowing with happy M3 customers who say "I love this car! Now, the order and delivery part needs a lot of work... but it was worth the wait"

I actually feel bad for anyone ordering the M3 come April. If Fremont is building MY for North America, something has to give at the factory. What model's production will be cut? Will they import MY from China? Sedan sales globally are tanking. Should be interesting to see how many M3 sales are cannibalized by MY this/next year. I suspect a LOT.

Last edited:
Reactions: ofcorona
I think he kinda addressed that in the interview if you watch his face and body language when he talks about the complexity of building and shipping globally from one factory in Fremont California. He's clearly frustrated. He knows what's going on. Some things to remember:
  1. Tesla still can't build enough M3 per quarter to fully satisfy demand. If you live in New York and order a car March 18th, there's a real possibility you may not get a car until early June (12 weeks).
  2. Most people will wait as long as it takes to get their M3 even with long/changing delivery waits.
  3. From a technological standpoint, there currently is no competition (outside of Tesla).
  4. If somebody cancels their order, that car will be reassigned in 5 minutes.
  5. Positive quarterly financial reporting is critical to the survival of Tesla (as an automaker).
I'd suggest meeting/exceeding quarterly goals (until the Fremont Factory can focus exclusively on North American production) will impact the customer order wait time experience. And I'd venture to say most people quickly forget that experience within minutes of taking delivery. The internet and YouTube are overflowing with happy M3 customers who say "I love this car! Now, the order and delivery part needs a lot of work... but it was worth the wait"

I highly agree.
You can't compare Tesla to the other automakers because they have been doing it for YEARS.
Also, Tesla is tech company rather than automobile company, but I digress.

They even gave me a delivery date back in December... so I think I got screwed by Elon's NYE Freemont delivery event...

But then again lots of other people didn't get their cars at the end of the year... Tesla should have been able to adjust that estimate on their ordering page on the fly based on the amount of orders they were receiving and given us a more realistic estimate... Their estimates messed me up big time since I had to first extend my Q50 lease and then ended up returning it at the end of January (when they told me it'll be coming in 2 weeks when I spoke with them on January 27th)...

If they don't want to change their ordering process... they could build some delivery calculator page that you put in your config info and delivery location and get a realistic estimate and then go to the ordering page if you decide to buy it... it shouldn't be too hard for a self driving auto maker company to do...
Your experience is exactly why I thought I'd get a car in June if I missed my March delivery date since I would be restarting the cycle based on the next quarter's production schedule. Looks like I'm not going to be out of country now. Thank you Corona Virus?

Reactions: gargantila
Dang, that’s what I ordered and I’m in Orange County. Order date of 02/04.

Was that your original configuration?
I'm seeing a pattern here... no Black/White interiors. Did the Coronavirus kill all the genetically engineered albino vegan cows?
giphy-5.gif

• Funny
Reactions: AZjohnInCA
And you just lose the 100.00 deposit on your ordered Tesla then?

People have said you can call your SA and have them change things to the available car... but someone else can order that car before your SA gets to it I'm guessing... So, you either definitely lose $100 but get your new car within a week (because even though the car says it's in Costa Mesa most likely it's actually at the Freemont factory still) OR you wait till you can get a hold of your SA and have him replace your order with the available car but possibly miss out on that car because someone else either ordered or their SA changed their order before yours did :)

People have said you can call your SA and have them change things to the available car... but someone else can order that car before your SA gets to it I'm guessing... So, you either definitely lose $100 but get your new car within a week (because even though the car says it's in Costa Mesa most likely it's actually at the Freemont factory still) OR you wait till you can get a hold of your SA and have him replace your order with the available car but possibly miss out on that car because someone else either ordered or their SA changed their order before yours did :)
I’d rather lose the 100 bucks.

Reactions: gargantila
So I'm curious. The text I received on 2/18 states "Your Model 3 is in transit and ready to be scheduled for delivery" but yet the earliest delivery I could schedule is 3/5 which is 12 business days away from the text. That seems like a lot to traverse the required distance which Google Maps puts at a 38 hour drive. Hauling cars has to be a bit slower, but 2x? Or is 'in transit' to be translated as "it's moving down the production line transforming from pieces into a car?" I'm guessing not since @gargantila has a Thursday delivery scheduled.

I'm still willing to meet my car partway and drive it the rest of the way here..... @elonmusk?!?!?! ;-)

So I'm curious. The text I received on 2/18 states "Your Model 3 is in transit and ready to be scheduled for delivery" but yet the earliest delivery I could schedule is 3/5 which is 12 business days away from the text. That seems like a lot to traverse the required distance which Google Maps puts at a 38 hour drive. Hauling cars has to be a bit slower, but 2x? Or is 'in transit' to be translated as "it's moving down the production line transforming from pieces into a car?" I'm guessing not since @gargantila has a Thursday delivery scheduled.

I'm still willing to meet my car partway and drive it the rest of the way here..... @elonmusk?!?!?! ;-)
The issue may not be transit time, but rather prep and delivery time with "the big east coast push".