Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 owner claims Car froze while driving, stuck at 83MPH

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After a thorough investigation, NHTSA has determined the root cause of the issue.

1650207719674.jpeg

• Funny
Reactions: AquaY
I watched it before you posted here and must say it was mostly good. Glad there’s a counterpoint for this round of jump to conclusions.

Your comment that he had the “presence of mind” to grab his phone and record the event got me thinking. With real presence of mind, he could’ve used the Tesla app to see his speed then pulled over and contacted roadside assistance. Or, from a purely safety related mindset, he should’ve simply pulled over without touching his phone.

One quibble with the video is your comparison with an ICE losing power and this event. Perhaps the better comparison (I thought you were starting to make) would be to modern electronic instrument clusters freezing up. Yes, there was more to this than a simple MCU freeze but that was the only immediate issue as your video explains.

Thanks for posting!

Reactions: MikeyC
Most likely he is more like a car person than a computer nerd.

Lots of people don't realize that Tesla is a computer on wheel and they freak out when the screen is frozen as they assume that a frozen screen means the end of the driving function.

From my own experience, a malfunctioning Tesla screen has never affected the driving function. Just like him, I originally thought the signal lights and emergency would be dead too but no, the sound is dead but the lights are still functioning when it happens at night and I could see the light reflection or during days and I could see the reflection from the cars in front and behind.

Thus, it's a matter of education but both the press and Tesla have failed to educate this owner and the public about the reliability of the propulsion system despite frozen screens.
If he was a car person, he would know what brakes do, and wouldn’t have pulled out his phone and video’d for quite some time. Obviously looking for a lawsuit payout.

There is no known car whose brakes can’t overpower the motor at full throttle.

See also: “unintended acceleration.”

Another utter bullshit story (clickbait) from our MSM.

The owner has a legit concern from the perspective that if while he was pulling over through traffic, the accelerator did not work. if he tapped the brake once, does it automatically go into regen and start slowing down? does it accelerate back up to whatever speed it was going when he lets off of the brake, etc?

The fact that his screen was locked up is not an issue, but he's showing video of him stepping on the throttle and the car not doing anything. That is an issue.
So if the engine quit on an ICE vehicle and the driver had zero power, no power brakes, no power steering, that would somehow be different? It happens every single day, somewhere. Multiple times.

Reactions: rpiotro
I still think this is an example of good engineering. Some rare event happens that renders controllers/computer inactive (could happen in any car). So instead of dying, it keeps doing the thing you last commanded (83 MPH) until you intervene. Then when it is safe to pull over, you use the brake and pull over. They seem to have designed the car with this in mind. The accelerator is by-wire but the steering and brakes are mechanically connected and can be used for manual control if needed to pull over safely.

Mike
Steering is electric, actually.

Almost all cars are now.

But yes, the brakes are still hydraulic, as God intended.

She also intended the steering to still be hydraulic, but that’s another discussion….

So if the engine quit on an ICE vehicle and the driver had zero power, no power brakes, no power steering, that would somehow be different? It happens every single day, somewhere. Multiple times.

ICE owners accept the fact that if their engines give out, the propulsion must die, no surprise there!

However, if their AM radio fails and a host of other functions seem to fail too, then that's alarming.

They thought the fancy screen is independent as fart machines, boombox, and computer games but they never thought that it could affect other functions of the car.

If it was, the Roadside Assistance would not approve a tow and if it was towed, the owner would be stuck with the tow bill. The fact that the Service Center diagnosed, found a fault, and resolved the issue meant something technologically did happen and it's not imagination.

Nobody said the screen did not freeze or that there was not a problem that caused that. What is total BS is the title, subtitle, and article.

Title: ... Causing vehicle to be stuck at 83 mph on freeway (bullshit)

Subtitle: The driver from Irvine said all of the buttons and switches - including turn signals and hazard lights - were not working. (probably bullshit)

Article and video: "He said the car was stuck going 83 mph (bullshit) and the main screen was frozen (true)."

The driver and article both tried to play with words to not only imply but state clearly and separately that the car's speed (not the speed in the screen) was somehow uncontrolled.

Even Infiniti's drive by wire system has a mechanical backup that kicks in when the electrical system is out:
What It's Like To Drive Infiniti's Crazy Drive-By-Wire Steering Tech

Most likely this is required by law so that you can still steer even if you lose power assist.
I owned a 1024 Q50 hybrid. The hybrids come standard with DAS (Direct Adaptive steering). I just loved it. It enabled a lane keeping assist (think autopilot) that worked better than the ProPilot II third generation that was in my short lived Leaf. It also resisted tramlining and crosswinds in normal driving. It was like a video game. Just point it where you want it to go. It had been criticized as lacking "feel" but it made it up in precision.

Once and only once in the seven years I owned it did the system momentarily fail. I was just leaving a customer location. The clutch kicked in and I was able to pull over safely. After a restart it was fine. And yes, it was very cold. Shortly after that the recall was issued which included a software update and on some cars a new 12V battery.

I read that linked article on Gizmodo. I am always amazed at the number of people in the comments section that have no clue what the F they are talking about but feel free to comment. Sadly, I find that very common on many sites and on Gawker media in particular.

• Informative
Reactions: SanCarlosJeff
At highway speed it's still easy to steer even without power assist. It becomes much more difficult at lower speeds, and for some people impossible when the vehicle is stationary.

Braking depends on how much vacuum remains in the assist system. Most of the time you will have enough assist to press the brake pedal once and still have assist. After that, a LOT more force is needed, like "you're probably going to need both legs to get this done" levels of force, and both legs won't be enough for some people. This is a concern now that a relatively easy to modulate handbrake is no longer installed on most new cars.

I've driven an older car with four-wheel manual drum brakes. It was only $200 used, so I drove it a year or two as my DD. Every day was like leg day at the gym, for my right leg at least.

• Funny
Reactions: KenC
occam's razor says this cat is not being honest. its been proven you can drive the car without the screen even connected! anything is possible but had this actually happened on some other tesla, it would be world news. the driver may be looking for a pay day or maybe he got a speeding ticket and decided to dream up this story. thing is tesla have all the logs so they will know what actually happened. if tesla know how many people are not using the lumbar on a seat, fo' sho' they know all the data of what happened here.