Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 owner claims Car froze while driving, stuck at 83MPH

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My screen froze today while driving. I was unable to use indicators, check the speed or set the hazard lights. The rest worked fine and the screen went back to normal after a reboot. I am driving a M3, 2021.
The hazard lights are activated by a physical button in the middle of the headliner right above the rearview mirror. Are you saying that button didn't work when the screen froze? I'd hope that the real lights (on the outside of the car) would still be blinking even if you wouldn't be able to see them indicated on the screen.

I have had my car for a week and it already lunged after disengaging auto cruise. At a full stop and if I did not have my foot on the brake I would of hit the car infront of me. The dealer has the video. I have no idea how to get the clip, if anyone knows, I’ll for sure post it when it gets back from the dealer.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
I have had my car for a week and it already lunged after disengaging auto cruise. At a full stop and if I did not have my foot on the brake I would of hit the car infront of me...

Please check the Stopping Mode:

Controls > Pedals & Steering > Stopping Mode

My favorite is HOLD just like 1 pedal driving: press on the accelerator and it goes. Take my foot off and it stops (as if it brakes).

Other modes requires pressing on your brake pedal:

CREEP
ROLL

• Helpful
Reactions: outdoors
I have had my car for a week and it already lunged after disengaging auto cruise. At a full stop and if I did not have my foot on the brake I would of hit the car infront of me. The dealer has the video. I have no idea how to get the clip, if anyone knows, I’ll for sure post it when it gets back from the dealer.

If your foot was already on the brake it didn't lunge forward on its own, that'd be physically impossible.

If your foot was near, but not on the brake, it's possible from a stop it would have, quite slowly- just a couple mph- moved forward in creep mode, as that mode is intended to do (same as an automatic typically will with your foot not on the brake).... or at whatever speed the incline you were on would have caused if in roll mode (same as a manual transmission vehicle with the clutch depressed).

There's no situation, with AP and TACC disengaged, where it would actually accelerate to any significant speed without you having actively pressed the accelerator.

See previous posts for the numerous reasons that's the case.

What made this such a big deal that it was reported in the news even IF you assume everything happened exactly as stated? Every once in a while (let's say 1 in 100,000) ICE cars will have a fault and the engine will die on the freeway. At that point, the car will begin to slow down whether you want it to or not and depending on the type of power steering and brakes, you may lose some steering and brake control: you may have to use a lot of force to turn or brake. The only difference here is that the car decided to maintain speed until the driver used the brakes, at which point he was able to pull over safely. I would argue that is better than just "dying" and drifting to a stop.

When the only thing that makes it news is that it's an EV, it's not news!

Mike
My beater car in college died on the road all the time, including on the highway. I never got to be on the news :(

I would of hit the car infront of me.

Minor nit: It’s actually “would have”, not “would of”. It sounds somewhat like “would of” when stated as the contraction of “would” and “have”: “would’ve”.

Also, “in front” is two separate words.

Finally, there is no means by which the car can “lunge” from a stop on its own: driver can unintentionally hit accelerator pedal; or driver can release brake while auto driving or creep enabled (car will begin to move forward, but not lunge).

lunged after disengaging auto cruise.

No, you *engaged* cruise control. Down is on and up is off. You unknowingly disengaged it by hitting the brake and then mistakenly re-engaged it by tapping the lever downward.

Also, it didn't "lunge", it merely inched forward to maintain your preferred following distance.

No, you *engaged* cruise control. Down is on and up is off. You unknowingly disengaged it by hitting the brake and then mistakenly re-engaged it by tapping the lever downward.

Also, it didn't "lunge", it merely inched forward to maintain your preferred following distance.
When I use Auto Pilot and I'm in stopped traffic my MY does accelerate quickly when the car ahead finally moves.
While it is an exaggeration for someone to say it "lunged" I can see if someone wasn't expecting it they could describe it that way.
Still an exaggeration but some people are more sensitive than others

Last edited:
When I use Auto Pilot and I'm in stopped traffic my MY does accelerate quickly when the car ahead finally moves.
While it is an exaggeration for someone to say it "lunged" I can see if someone wasn't expecting it they could describe it that way.
Still an exaggeration but some people are more sensitive than others

Good description. My Model 3 does the same thing but after the initial "hit", it can't keep up with traffic: I have to constantly goose the accelerator to keep up. Given the initial hard hit and then not being able to keep up, "lunge" might be a decent description.

Mike

Reactions: SanCarlosJeff
One thing that can be a bit alarming if you're not expecting it is that when the car is in autopilot, but you disengage it by yanking the wheel, the car remains in TACC (i.e. only autosteer is canceled). In situations where you're at highway speed behind a car well under your set speed, and then for example you take an exit, the car will pretty quickly accelerate back up to the set speed, not requiring the same "goosing" that it seems to need at lower speeds, or at least not feeling as such because you're not expecting the car to accelerate at all!

I also wouldn't describe this as a "lunge", but it is a bit uncomfortable if you're not expecting it.