Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 owner in a loaner Model S: impressions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The P100D is scary fast, but I do prefer the interior of the 3 when it comes to functionality. However the S's I have been in are all much quieter, the 3 is a rattle trap on ruff roads, while the S exudes luxury much better. If they could make the 3 feel like it is equal quality to the S then it would be hands down my pick.

S has better seats (ventilated are available too). Air suspension, auto lift gate, nicer roof etc.

I posted this elsewhere on the forum, but feel it’s relevant here:

So, as some of you may or may not know, my new Model 3P was taken out of action by a mysterious object that made a hole right through the wheel and tire in the first week.

For reasons unbeknownst to me, the Tesla Service Center did not get a replacement tire in for over a week, so... during that time I was given a 2018 Model S 75D to drive.

So here's my review of the 2018 Model S 75D, and how it compares to my 2019 Model 3P.

1.) So, firstly, the Model S is significantly longer than the Model 3. My garage only accommodates a 192" car MAX, so the Model S doesn't fit.

2.) The Model S is a boat by comparison. Everything about it feels... large.

3.) The panoramic sunroof is more enveloping in the S because it runs the roofline without the dome lights in the middle like in the 3. The S just feels more open to me above.

4.) Air suspension on the S is fabulous. I know there's new suspension (Raven) on the just-released revision, but boy is the air suspension on the S really nice to have. My Performance Model 3 suspension isn't terrible or anything, but there are times when I wish I could just soften everything up and cruise along crappy roads.

5.) Power. No comparison. The Model 3 Performance destroys the 75D, as you'd expect. Interestingly, the 75D gets off the line pretty darn quickly, but at 40mph upwards it feels like a dog. 60mph when you put your foot down it's almost as if nothing happens (slight exaggeration). Whether a combination of weight or de-tuning of the motors, the 75D is great down low, and puny up top.

6.) Motor whine. The 75D I had featured some pretty ugly motor whine, especially at 49-51mph when not accelerating. It manifests itself as a really high-pitched squealing-like sound, and it drove me a bit nuts. My P3D does not have any such noises.

7.) The interior. I have to say, while the S has some fanciers things going on (heated steering wheel, air suspension etc) - the interior in my opinion is a giant mess by comparison to the 3. The doors look like they were designed by three or four people at the same time in different rooms - with no communication between them until the last second. The interior door handles are in the absolute worst place, where there's little leverage to push the door open, and the button locations and lack of storage cubbies in the doors is insanity to me. Where the door material meats the dash material it doesn't match at all - and in all honesty I think that whole area of the car is a travesty.

As an aside, the piece of the door you're supposed to pull to close the door had a lot of movement to it on my driver's side, which just screamed cheap to me.

8.) The dual screens. I know this will be subjective, but honestly I really, really do not like the S screen orientation or design. It looks like a screen shoehorned into a dash. I felt this way when I test-drove the P85D many years ago when it was new, and I still feel the same now. It feels outdated, a bit of a cluttered mess due to the narrow vertical orientation, and some icons being in the corners are just awkward to hit. In addition, I'm 6'5" and with my seat back enough - it's hard for me to reach the top of the screen as it leans back there at the top. I prefer the 3 here greatly. Also, I really prefer not having the dash right in front of me, so I can be focusing on the road. I know this will be subjective. At night I can see the road more due to no light sensitivity from the dash in front of me.

9.) Handling. There's no question the P3D is a much better handling car. You feel more from the road (pros and cons to this) AND the steering wheel. There's almost no steering wheel feel from the 75D whereas I can actually feel things through the wheel with the P3D steering wheel. I haven't driven a base 3 so I can't comment there, but with the P3D everything is far more connected than with the 75D.

10.) Rattles: While the 3 is not free of rattles, my Model S wasn't either. Some really annoying ones from the rear hatch that drove me nuts just about the entire time I had the car.

11.) Trunk. I love the automatic trunk on the S. Ironically, for my uses, I'm glad I don't have one. Since my car is so tight in my garage, if I popped it by mistake I'd destroy the trunk, but... when out and about it was super useful.

12.) Exterior door handles: You know, I'm not sure which I prefer here. I think the S handles are pretty cool (aside from looking like toilet-roll holders), but I actually really dig the Model 3 handles, too. I especially love the way you open the Model 3 doors from the inside. It blows away the Model S in this regard.

13.) Usability: I love the phone holder in the front of the 3, and with the Nomad wireless charger it's fabulous. The slide-out cubby in the Model S is... awkward and not fun to open at all.

14.) Arm rests. I could not STAND the arm rests in the Model S. They slide to uncover the cup holder, which means either you have a cup holder or you have an arm rest. Annoyingly, my arm kept sliding the arm rest back under normal use, which I got tired of pretty darn fast.

15.) I really like the Model 3 turn signals. There's no "detent" where the stalk moves into for permanent signaling, so when you have completed your turn the stalk doesn't move again - it just disables the signal electronically. I love that. No "click/smack" sound.

16.) Panel gaps and fit and finish: Both cars have their issues. Both cars have crappy paint (both are solid black, so I was able to compare), and not all pieces of chrome trim etc were 100%. Alignment on doors etc isn't 100% either. Just the usual Tesla nonsense. None of it is deal-breaking, but it's there.

I'm sure I'm missing some things, but that's it for now.

Overall, it's not a contest. The 3 is the better car for most people. The S feels extremely outdated, and really needs an interior refresh.

A year ago, I was on the Tesla.com forums and described the perfect Tesla for me:
- exterior looks / profile / hatch of the S
- footprint of the 3
- interior of the 3, except the dash of the S
- handling of the 3
- price closer to the 3
- power and efficiency - both are so good I really didn't care.
- traditional door handles and framed door windows

I'm in a S P85D loaner myself over the last few days. I love the S. I really want one now.

Things the S does that I wish my 3 did:
  • proximity keyfob - my god this is soooo much faster/better/more consistent than my phone key
  • automatic trunk opener/closer - amazing
  • sunroof - this is amazing as well, a total game changer on a nice day
  • 2nd screen - I love having the second screen, it has so much info and is just all around nice for me personally
  • button for glove compartment - just so much quicker to get to
  • buttons on steering wheel - these are all just really nice to have for me, the scroll wheels work but the buttons are just easier
  • acceleration - my performance 3 is fast but a 2.8 0-60 is insane
Overall I'm totally blown away by the S after thinking it just wouldn't be for me.

I posted this elsewhere on the forum, but feel it’s relevant here:

So, as some of you may or may not know, my new Model 3P was taken out of action by a mysterious object that made a hole right through the wheel and tire in the first week.

For reasons unbeknownst to me, the Tesla Service Center did not get a replacement tire in for over a week, so... during that time I was given a 2018 Model S 75D to drive.

So here's my review of the 2018 Model S 75D, and how it compares to my 2019 Model 3P.

1.) So, firstly, the Model S is significantly longer than the Model 3. My garage only accommodates a 192" car MAX, so the Model S doesn't fit.

2.) The Model S is a boat by comparison. Everything about it feels... large.

3.) The panoramic sunroof is more enveloping in the S because it runs the roofline without the dome lights in the middle like in the 3. The S just feels more open to me above.

4.) Air suspension on the S is fabulous. I know there's new suspension (Raven) on the just-released revision, but boy is the air suspension on the S really nice to have. My Performance Model 3 suspension isn't terrible or anything, but there are times when I wish I could just soften everything up and cruise along crappy roads.

5.) Power. No comparison. The Model 3 Performance destroys the 75D, as you'd expect. Interestingly, the 75D gets off the line pretty darn quickly, but at 40mph upwards it feels like a dog. 60mph when you put your foot down it's almost as if nothing happens (slight exaggeration). Whether a combination of weight or de-tuning of the motors, the 75D is great down low, and puny up top.

6.) Motor whine. The 75D I had featured some pretty ugly motor whine, especially at 49-51mph when not accelerating. It manifests itself as a really high-pitched squealing-like sound, and it drove me a bit nuts. My P3D does not have any such noises.

7.) The interior. I have to say, while the S has some fanciers things going on (heated steering wheel, air suspension etc) - the interior in my opinion is a giant mess by comparison to the 3. The doors look like they were designed by three or four people at the same time in different rooms - with no communication between them until the last second. The interior door handles are in the absolute worst place, where there's little leverage to push the door open, and the button locations and lack of storage cubbies in the doors is insanity to me. Where the door material meats the dash material it doesn't match at all - and in all honesty I think that whole area of the car is a travesty.

As an aside, the piece of the door you're supposed to pull to close the door had a lot of movement to it on my driver's side, which just screamed cheap to me.

8.) The dual screens. I know this will be subjective, but honestly I really, really do not like the S screen orientation or design. It looks like a screen shoehorned into a dash. I felt this way when I test-drove the P85D many years ago when it was new, and I still feel the same now. It feels outdated, a bit of a cluttered mess due to the narrow vertical orientation, and some icons being in the corners are just awkward to hit. In addition, I'm 6'5" and with my seat back enough - it's hard for me to reach the top of the screen as it leans back there at the top. I prefer the 3 here greatly. Also, I really prefer not having the dash right in front of me, so I can be focusing on the road. I know this will be subjective. At night I can see the road more due to no light sensitivity from the dash in front of me.

9.) Handling. There's no question the P3D is a much better handling car. You feel more from the road (pros and cons to this) AND the steering wheel. There's almost no steering wheel feel from the 75D whereas I can actually feel things through the wheel with the P3D steering wheel. I haven't driven a base 3 so I can't comment there, but with the P3D everything is far more connected than with the 75D.

10.) Rattles: While the 3 is not free of rattles, my Model S wasn't either. Some really annoying ones from the rear hatch that drove me nuts just about the entire time I had the car.

11.) Trunk. I love the automatic trunk on the S. Ironically, for my uses, I'm glad I don't have one. Since my car is so tight in my garage, if I popped it by mistake I'd destroy the trunk, but... when out and about it was super useful.

12.) Exterior door handles: You know, I'm not sure which I prefer here. I think the S handles are pretty cool (aside from looking like toilet-roll holders), but I actually really dig the Model 3 handles, too. I especially love the way you open the Model 3 doors from the inside. It blows away the Model S in this regard.

13.) Usability: I love the phone holder in the front of the 3, and with the Nomad wireless charger it's fabulous. The slide-out cubby in the Model S is... awkward and not fun to open at all.

14.) Arm rests. I could not STAND the arm rests in the Model S. They slide to uncover the cup holder, which means either you have a cup holder or you have an arm rest. Annoyingly, my arm kept sliding the arm rest back under normal use, which I got tired of pretty darn fast.

15.) I really like the Model 3 turn signals. There's no "detent" where the stalk moves into for permanent signaling, so when you have completed your turn the stalk doesn't move again - it just disables the signal electronically. I love that. No "click/smack" sound.

16.) Panel gaps and fit and finish: Both cars have their issues. Both cars have crappy paint (both are solid black, so I was able to compare), and not all pieces of chrome trim etc were 100%. Alignment on doors etc isn't 100% either. Just the usual Tesla nonsense. None of it is deal-breaking, but it's there.

I'm sure I'm missing some things, but that's it for now.

Overall, it's not a contest. The 3 is the better car for most people. The S feels extremely outdated, and really needs an interior refresh.

We have a 75D and still love it but understand your comments on it. I drive both (Model 3LR). I held off ordering my 3 until the AWD came out and was still thinking I might wait for a Sunroof and SAS to come out on it. Really wanted leather ventilated seats too, all on our MS. Glad I didn’t wait and pulled the lever on the LR AWD or I would have missed on on many months of pleasure driving. And still would be waiting.

I miss the lift gate and cargo space in the rear of the MS. The lift gate btw can be set to a particular height so no worries opening in your garage and hitting the door. It works great but I don’t put that much in my trunk so far so haven’t missed that much.

As for the MS armrests/cup holders, I agree annoying. This might be a legacy issue from the original cars with the yacht floor and fitting things to match that space where components had been located. Husband likes the cupholders available, and I immediately slide the arm rest over them. Tesla wanted to design a sport car with the MS and one not cluttered with cubbies filled with stuff and coats hanging down in the rear windows. I get it. Everyone said the Model 3 would have to be more mid-stream with amenities including a lit vanity mirror and so there we have them.

I love that the MS, and still believe this is true, can hardwire a 2-channel dashcam fairly easily with no issues. While we have TeslaCam/Sentry mode, the physical dashcam still would be my preference for rear camera and longer recording time available. Enjoyed reviewing when we got home our trip over to Kettleman City SC and back home one year with a meetup. Not really possible with Model 3’s hardware. Also miss the Normal, Event and Parking tags from our Blackvue videos and ability to set filter factors to adjust sensitivity. Suppose when MS gets a refresh it will be more Model 3 like and lose the clean hardwire install capability.

Funny you mentioned liking the turn signals on the Model 3. That was something I remember drew a lot of dislike from people new to the car when they first got it. Never bothered me.

So glad my old car held up until I could buy the Model 3. Wasn’t sure what to do if it didn’t. With husband’s MS we get to drive the best of both worlds and tough choice which to take on longer trips. Feel very lucky and owning has changed my view of EVs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Magellan55
We have a 75D and still love it but understand your comments on it. I drive both (Model 3LR). I held off ordering my 3 until the AWD came out and was still thinking I might wait for a Sunroof and SAS to come out on it. Really wanted leather ventilated seats too, all on our MS. Glad I didn’t wait and pulled the lever on the LR AWD or I would have missed on on many months of pleasure driving. And still would be waiting.

I miss the lift gate and cargo space in the rear of the MS. The lift gate btw can be set to a particular height so no worries opening in your garage and hitting the door. It works great but I don’t put that much in my trunk so far so haven’t missed that much.

As for the MS armrests/cup holders, I agree annoying. This might be a legacy issue from the original cars with the yacht floor and fitting things to match that space where components had been located. Husband likes the cupholders available, and I immediately slide the arm rest over them. Tesla wanted to design a sport car with the MS and one not cluttered with cubbies filled with stuff and coats hanging down in the rear windows. I get it. Everyone said the Model 3 would have to be more mid-stream with amenities including a lit vanity mirror and so there we have them.

I love that the MS, and still believe this is true, can hardwire a 2-channel dashcam fairly easily with no issues. While we have TeslaCam/Sentry mode, the physical dashcam still would be my preference for rear camera and longer recording time available. Enjoyed reviewing when we got home our trip over to Kettleman City SC and back home one year with a meetup. Not really possible with Model 3’s hardware. Also miss the Normal, Event and Parking tags from our Blackvue videos and ability to set filter factors to adjust sensitivity. Suppose when MS gets a refresh it will be more Model 3 like and lose the clean hardwire install capability.

Funny you mentioned liking the turn signals on the Model 3. That was something I remember drew a lot of dislike from people new to the car when they first got it. Never bothered me.

So glad my old car held up until I could buy the Model 3. Wasn’t sure what to do if it didn’t. With husband’s MS we get to drive the best of both worlds and tough choice which to take on longer trips. Feel very lucky and owning has changed my view of EVs.

I can definitely see the benefit of both cars. For the masses, the choice is obvious simply down to price - before you even factor anything else in.

By the way, being able to set the automatic lift gate on even a revised/updated Model 3 won't help in my garage (see attached pics)... It's part of the reason I won't ever install the auto-lift struts on the rear of my Model 3 (I did it on the front since nothing bad can happen there).
6lHn43kWStSVkQDBzBubpw.jpg
2sPDx9mLQm6kfzbg77fuDw.jpg

Wow that’s close and Definitely not a MS garage :D. We installed really nice cabinets and work bench area in our main two-car garage on the forward wall. At that time we both had Honda Accords which wouldn’t have been an issue parking inside. However every year since moving in I think vehicles have gotten longer in length, in fact would have updated my 2001 Avalon a number of years later except for the fact they made it too long for us.

I had a top of the line (from a few years ago) loaner S with Ludicrous mode and AP 1.

It was great for ikea trips and the acceleration was worlds beyond anything other than a roller coaster.

In everything else the 3 was far superior. From the trip and fit, to the design, to sound, to interior storage, to AP, to efficiency, driving, handling, etc etc.

Wow that’s close and Definitely not a MS garage :D. We installed really nice cabinets and work bench area in our main two-car garage on the forward wall. At that time we both had Honda Accords which wouldn’t have been an issue parking inside. However every year since moving in I think vehicles have gotten longer in length, in fact would have updated my 2001 Avalon a number of years later except for the fact they made it too long for us.

My neighbor’s garage is the same depth as mine, and they cannot fit their 2016 Honda Accord in. It’s 5-7 inches longer than the Model 3!

I have both a 3 and an S. The S is a much smoother ride and the storage space puts the 3 to shame. The 3 (dual motor performance) is faster, lighter on its feet, and handles a bit better. And the S is is a more beautiful car, which will make it a classic over time.

Which do I prefer? On a long trip with much to carry, the S. For my daily driver, the 3.

For me, it's not a question of which is better. They're very different cars.

I have both a 3 and an S. The S is a much smoother ride and the storage space puts the 3 to shame. The 3 (dual motor performance) is faster, lighter on its feet, and handles a bit better. And the S is is a more beautiful car, which will make it a classic over time.

Which do I prefer? On a long trip with much to carry, the S. For my daily driver, the 3.

For me, it's not a question of which is better. They're very different cars.

On a long trip definitely the S, but my reasoning for that is air suspension. I don’t find any other reason compelling (luggage space aside) as I find the S interior is massively outdated compared to the 3.

Does no one have kids in your neighborhood? how would anyone get a minivan or 3 row SUV in there?

Many homes (like our neighborhood!) were built before big vehicles were all the rage.

We have a two car garage that would’ve fit the Model 3 fine ... but ... the previous owners carved the back corner out and walled off a sunporch. Now the garage isn’t deep enough to fit the Model 3 - it’d hang out the door by an inch or two.

I’ll take “Things you don’t think to measure before buying a home” for $800, Alex.

This is a minor annoyance, but I noticed on a loaner S75D that there’s a 10-15 second “systems are starting up” message that pops up before you can drive on the first trip of the day.

The 3 doesn’t have anywhere near the wait time, you just get in an go. Definitely makes the S feel like older tech.
That’s a setting to save power, you can turn it off to be ready immediately.

I had a P85D for two weeks as a loaner as well and I was surprised that it just was not as nice to drive as my Model 3. It was really fast but it was too big for me and the steering was not nearly as crisp. The screen was much lower resolution too.

I think there’s a reason why they are selling 50,000 Model 3’s each quarter and only 6,000 Model S’s. I hope the refresh helps to renew interest in the S though. They really need to have a flagship car that everyone looks up to.
The P85D is a much older car, not really apples to apples comparison of and older car to a newer car. The sales volume difference is due to the price difference, pricing is similar to comparing a Mercedes C class to an S class, there are far more buyers for a cheaper car, it’s just a fact.

Last edited:
We just purchased another new Tesla at the end of last quarter and initially had put a deposit on a Performance 3. Because we are accustomed to our Performance S and X we were let down by the interior and power of the P3. I know at the price for what you get it is a comparatively good value compared to the S. If I was coming from an ICE car I’m sure the P3 would have felt quick enough and most people don’t seem to mind the interior but for us we decided to step up and get another S P100D and have no regrets. The current S interior, seats and finishes are quite a few steps ups, is it as good as it could be? Everything has room for improvement but the current S has evolved significantly over the last few years.

Haha here where I live everyone pretty much parks their cars in the driveway. No basements and most of us have our garages filled with other things.

We live in the same situation. New homes being built here have driveways too short to accommodate much of anything bigger than a Mini, and minimum size garages, so they are going to be left with a lot of on-street parking when these houses are occupied. Teslas are very popular here and 3s are popping up everywhere. My street alone has 4. Charging is already being a challenge for condos and apartments. Fortunately, we have 10 superchargers and 20 urban chargers in town. Most of the larger employers have charging stations in their lots and some are Tesla chargers. We can squeeze our S and a Grand Cherokee in our garage, but getting in and out of the cars is a challenge.