Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 owner in a loaner Model S: impressions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not to hijack the thread, but does anyone have info as to if a loaner is guaranteed? My MR-3 needs to be serviced but they can't guarantee me a loaner which won't work for me. They're offering Lift or Uber credits. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

I just dropped off my 3 for several warranty repairs, and they surprised me with an in-house 2016 90D loaner! Last time, they shuttled me to the local Enterprise for a typical ICE rental.

Right off the bat, I miss the steering wheel and supple seats in my 3. Funny story, I didn't know how to engage AP on the S, so I found myself accidentally selecting neutral in traffic when double "bumping" the gear selector downwards. I eventually found the stalk on the other side.

Pros I'll give to the S:
  • Has that nimble "bank vault" dynamic to it. Despite being two years older than my 3, the few rattles it has are more pleasing to the ears (if that can be a thing) than the plastic-y rattles in my 3.
  • Those presenting door handles. Looks nicer, and easier to use than the swing handles on the 3.
  • Seat cooling! I find I get rather hot in the Model 3 seats.

Cons:
  • That small nub of a cruise/AP stalk. I caught myself flashing the high beams one too many times when attempting to engage autopilot.
  • The seats in the S look nice, but the seats in the 3 somehow manage to be more supple, and provide the same amount of support despite looking more like a design you would find in an economy car.

Coming from a LR dual motor 3, the low end pull of the 90D was tickling :rolleyes:

Interestingly enough after posting earlier last week, we took a long weekend trip south and spent about 400 miles in our Model S. Posted about the major differences I noticed between our 75D and my LR AWD Model 3: S to 3 I will say this summed it up for me: I fell in love all over again with our MS.

Having my windshield replaced after a rock hit it on day one right now and loving the S 75D enterprise car they gave me. I didn’t have to go to enterprise to pick it up either, it was there at the service center.

Things I like better on each:

3 standard range plus

- smaller steering wheel (put it on comfort mode for effortless steering, not sure if you’ve tried it to all those who say the S wheel is easier to steer) the large s wheel feels gigantic.
- much better front visibility. The S windshield seems to warp the view also, not sure if it’s just me?
- center console arm rest, cup holder and storage layout is better organized.
- compact size for parking and maneuvering

S 75D

- large display is awesome for maps
- power — it’s a BEAST!!! I also was given a p90d last time and honestly the non p version feels very close in torque and speed.
- massive hatchback storage area— I really wish my 3 had the hatch, but I couldn’t wait for the Y. Needed the credits. 3 still has more room than my previous Crosstrek.
- head rest adjustment is a nice touch.
- interior is quite spacious although the model 3 doesn’t feel cramped at all either.
- the interior parts feel more solid to me and I like the design even though it’s been around. As someone who is new to seeing and riding a model s (and only a month in my 3) it doesn’t feel outdated at all!
- backup camera seems way higher resolution / crisp, at least the way it is displayed on the screen.
- air suspension is just awesomely smooth and I love the option to increase ride height. I really would pay extra $$$$ for adding this type of suspension to my 3. I think it’s one of the top two upgrades I would do in addition to full self driving and the premium sound / subwoofer. Please make these an option, Tesla!

Probably more to mention but it’s sleep time. Tesla is amazing.

I just dropped off my model 3 for a Tesla Model S P85D. The P85 was insanely fast in insane+ mode. So after two hours of driving this car in broke down on me. It started to say car will shut down. Pull over to a safe place and car completely shut down. Granted this car was fast and that is the only thing I liked. Other than that the Model 3 was my preffered car hands down. Plus this one was super dirty inside and out. So I ended up getting a replacement Model S P85 loaner and it smells bad and also dirty. Going to call them to see if they replace car with a cleaner one.

• Helpful
Reactions: Char
This was my biggest takeaway from the 3 and S. The steering wheel size completely changes the feeling of steering and overall behavior while driving. The 3’s wheel is small and feels very nimble and tight. The S steering wheel was huge and felt a bit loose. I would compare it to something like a Cadillac luxury ride steering feel vs a sports car steering.

There are 3 steering modes for the Model S. Perhaps you had it on comfort instead of sport.

No loaners from tesla.. Sent me to enterprise.. Few thoughts..

-why are there so many buttons?
-when hit he accelerator it just makes noise.. Go nowhere.
-i feel sick and dizzy getting in after warming up in the garage in the Morning.
-every time i try to turn on autopilot the only thing that happens is the wipers turn on.
-kids say back seat is freezing
-all kinds of mechanical looking stuff in the fronk... No room up there.
-the super charger this thing uses smell.
-trying to remember a key is so 1900's

Please hurry up and fix my 3!