Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 owner in a loaner Model S: impressions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Model 3 is in the shop for repainting and the Tesla service center gave me a Model S P85 to use as a loaner. Not sure what year the P85 is (there are no advanced cameras), but here are some comparative impressions:
- The Model S feels HUGE compared to the Model 3, much more than the supposed 20% difference in size
- I know there are Tesla owners who prefer the 2 screen experience of the Model S, but to me it's quite a bit more distracting
- Visibility in the Model 3 is much better, due in large part to the lower dash
- Driving position (for me at 5' 9") is much better in the Model 3 and the seats feel better
- The ergonomics of the arm rest and the cup holder are an abomination in the S. The 3's center console is a much better design
- I like having access to the glove box with a simple button on the S.
- Not a big fan of the cruise control stalk, though, especially its placement. I keep thinking it's a turn signal, even after nearly two weeks.

Overall, driving the S provides a good perspective on the design evolution that Tesla has gone through. There are certainly some compromises in the single screen design, but for the most part the 3 just feels like a much more "modern" car.

One thing I noticed not mentioned above is the normal size steering wheel on the S vs the tiny Indy car sized model 3 steering wheel.
Gosh model 3 has a tiny wheel! Takes so much effort to steer, vs on model S.
Going from a 3 to a S, it feels like a minivan at first.
My current loaner P90D, has AP, it’s not as tight as model 3s. The 3 stays centered in lane 98% of the time, where the 3 year old S will sometimes run over the lane markers, and you feel the car trying to find center.
But damn the P90D pulls hard in ludicrous mode. This S is heavy, and I feel it, but that doesn’t stop me from throwing it around in canyon roads, or corners. It’s got great suspension.

Good comparison on all points guys. We have both and I was just in our MS today as a passenger and had the same thoughts about the arm rest and console. Also the door arm rest if you can call it that. On the Model 3 I sit higher and at a more natural height at least for me. But then I think I have the passenger seat raised higher on the MS to get out of the car (always have to duck though so I don't hit my head on the roof frame).

We're contemplating a drive down state later in the year and debating on which vehicle we'd take. It's tough because we like them both but for different reasons so not exactly apples to apples. I do think our Model S is more comfortable on a longer trip plus if we travel during the hot summer/fall we have ventilated seats to keep us cooler. Supercharging at no cost on the MS. More room inside and cargo area. A bit zippier. Both have AWD. Model 3 has better range (310 vs our 75D range but won't be an issue charging). Miss our MS sunroof. Both have the Tesla front sunshades. We might be able to fit a small luggage piece in our lower trunk area in the Model 3 so would have it out of sight if we want to leave our back seat down (vandalism in Calif.). Model 3 has TeslaCam/Sentry Mode, MS has Blackvue 900S-2ch plus the Sentry Mode (although no USB drive, HW2). Haven't done a roadtrip in my Model 3 yet, have on the MS. It's going to be a tough and probably last minute decision.

I predicted the Model 3 was going to annihilate the Model S over a year ago and people were pissed and couldn't hit the disagree button fast enough.

Performance Model 3 cheaper than the entry level S. Easy decision in the majority of situations.

I hope Tesla knocks it out of the park with the September refresh. The flagship Tesla deserves better.

Everything has a life cycle. The MS has had a good run for many years and the last refresh I think was very successful. I still think it's a fabulous car and great looking. Tesla cut it's teeth again on the Model 3 and re-engineering so much of the car on its road to mass production. Better to do it on a lesser car and the timing was right for the Model 3 to gain mass market appeal on the heels of the Model S it was patterned after. The Model Y looks like the Model 3 and now I'm wondering what the refreshed Model S will look like. A departure? and in what ways? Over 400 miles? Pretty certain a lot of what worked well in the Model 3 will be incorporated.

This is a minor annoyance, but I noticed on a loaner S75D that there’s a 10-15 second “systems are starting up” message that pops up before you can drive on the first trip of the day.

The 3 doesn’t have anywhere near the wait time, you just get in an go. Definitely makes the S feel like older tech.

• Informative
Reactions: Leafdriver333
I had a loaner Model S (75D) while my wife's Model 3 was in the shop for a few days and she drove my M3, and I agree with most of your observations (although I liked the seats better in the MS). Hopefully the upcoming refresh of the MS will solve a lot of the problems.

And what is up with the Model S door panels? It's like every single part of it is in the wrong place!

• Informative
Reactions: Leafdriver333
This is a minor annoyance, but I noticed on a loaner S75D that there’s a 10-15 second “systems are starting up” message that pops up before you can drive on the first trip of the day.

The 3 doesn’t have anywhere near the wait time, you just get in an go. Definitely makes the S feel like older tech

It has energy saving on. You can turn it off. My S is ready to roll as soon as the door handles activate. Obviously press the brake to drive, but all screens up and a\c on and music playing when doors open.

I had a P85D for two weeks as a loaner as well and I was surprised that it just was not as nice to drive as my Model 3. It was really fast but it was too big for me and the steering was not nearly as crisp. The screen was much lower resolution too.

I think there’s a reason why they are selling 50,000 Model 3’s each quarter and only 6,000 Model S’s. I hope the refresh helps to renew interest in the S though. They really need to have a flagship car that everyone looks up to.

Reactions: vickh
Real problem is they made the 3 too good. No power mirrors/seats/ass warmers/metal roof/plastic interior would have improved their margins on 3 and made the S a real step up.

cheapening out on power seats on a 50k car would not have been a good idea.

The extra the S offers is worth the price difference from the 3. Most shoppers don't care about it though, and won't spend the extra money. Its the same reason the BMW 7 series, MB S class, Lexus LS sell much lower volume than their cheaper/smaller sedan counterparts.

Tesla needs the volume -- even if its at 0 profit -- otherwise the stock price tanks, and they can't fund R&D the way they have been.

I have driven several Model S’s over the years and was never tempted by a Tesla UNTIL the Model 3. I felt that the S (and even more so the X) were just too big for my taste. I prefer a sport sedan far and away to either SUV’s or big, luxury cars. I really, prefer my P3D to every S I have been in and/or driven. For me (and my preferences) it is just a better car.

More impressions on an S loaner:
Cons: I live in terror of having to parallel park my loaner S75 on a hill--I'm reduced to looking for valet parking wherever I can in the city. I find egress more difficult even though I have set easy entry, I feel that I am barely able to see over the front console. I think this is a car designed for large males of the species though I would worry about them bumping their heads when exiting. My range anxiety has returned--it eats up the watts. Surprisingly I don't think the sound system is as good. I really miss my EAP.
On the plus side--suspension really smooths the bumps, it handles brilliantly and is plenty spirited for such a large car though large steering wheel is awkward for me. The seats are more comfortable. It seems to stay cooler when parked in the sun. Love the auto trunk and door handles. One senses that it is a transitional car from a luxury ICE to the paradigm shift of the M3. It is an aesthetically beautiful car.
All in all I am grateful to Tesla for providing such a great car as a loaner, but I sorely miss my M3j.

Agree with most of these posts. I had a MS loaner last week. AP 1.0 85. I certainly noticed it was bigger but only parking was it significant. The biggest improvement the MS had was suspension isolation. The air suspension soaked up high frequency bumps and was quieter. Much quieter with respect to road noise, but much less road feel as a result. This should be obvious since MS is luxury market. The M3 has razor sharp suspension, but you feel everything. I just wish I could remove a little of the road noise from my 3. It was great to drive the MS. I personally liked the 2 screens but overall the interior of the M3 is an absolute masterpiece. I originally thought it was overly simplified, but it has grown on me and think it still looks like the future.

Reactions: alexGS
More impressions on an S loaner:
Cons: I live in terror of having to parallel park my loaner S75 on a hill--I'm reduced to looking for valet parking wherever I can in the city. I find egress more difficult even though I have set easy entry, I feel that I am barely able to see over the front console. I think this is a car designed for large males of the species though I would worry about them bumping their heads when exiting.

Hi Electra. I have never driven a M3 but I have ridden in a friend's. Very nice car! I have an S100D and fortunately it hasn't needed service yet, so I haven't had a loaner, but I agree with you about short people in the S. I'm 5'1" and it definitely wasn't designed for someone my size. I totally love the car, though. I hope you get your M3 back soon. Also, I wouldn't take my S to the city for ANYTHING.

I had a P85D for two weeks as a loaner as well and I was surprised that it just was not as nice to drive as my Model 3. It was really fast but it was too big for me and the steering was not nearly as crisp. The screen was much lower resolution too.

I think there’s a reason why they are selling 50,000 Model 3’s each quarter and only 6,000 Model S’s. I hope the refresh helps to renew interest in the S though. They really need to have a flagship car that everyone looks up to.
Yes, a $40-50K reason!;)

One thing I noticed not mentioned above is the normal size steering wheel on the S vs the tiny Indy car sized model 3 steering wheel.
Gosh model 3 has a tiny wheel! Takes so much effort to steer, vs on model S.
Going from a 3 to a S, it feels like a minivan at first.
My current loaner P90D, has AP, it’s not as tight as model 3s. The 3 stays centered in lane 98% of the time, where the 3 year old S will sometimes run over the lane markers, and you feel the car trying to find center.
But damn the P90D pulls hard in ludicrous mode. This S is heavy, and I feel it, but that doesn’t stop me from throwing it around in canyon roads, or corners. It’s got great suspension.
This was my biggest takeaway from the 3 and S. The steering wheel size completely changes the feeling of steering and overall behavior while driving. The 3’s wheel is small and feels very nimble and tight. The S steering wheel was huge and felt a bit loose. I would compare it to something like a Cadillac luxury ride steering feel vs a sports car steering.

This was my biggest takeaway from the 3 and S. The steering wheel size completely changes the feeling of steering and overall behavior while driving. The 3’s wheel is small and feels very nimble and tight. The S steering wheel was huge and felt a bit loose. I would compare it to something like a Cadillac luxury ride steering feel vs a sports car steering.
The 3 certainly isn’t our fathers car. Small wheel = small arc radius = quick handling
I adjust my seat back with arms fully extended, hands at 3 and 9. Handling and response delightful!