Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 owners, are you planning on buying a Model Y?

Model 3 owners, are you planning on buying a Model Y?

• Yes, I will be a day 1 line waiter and pay a reservation fee if possible

Votes: 12 6.6%
  • Yes, I will reserve online and pay a reservation fee if possible

Votes: 41 22.4%
  • Yes, but I will wait until they come out

Votes: 66 36.1%
  • No, my Model 3 is enough for me

Votes: 64 35.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With the big reveal coming on March 14th, what are your plans for the Model Y? We don't know what the process will be this time around as far as reservations, but are you getting one?

I definitely plan on getting one, but this time I don't feel the need to reserve one, I'm just going to wait until they come out and order.

Considering it's a larger car, why would you have that expectation? As long as it's "~10%" like Elon said, I'm good and it will still beat any competitor out there.

I said it needs to be. That is for me. I need the range. The only competitor the Y has are the other two Tesla's in my garage now. So Tesla can do whatever it wants to do. I am buying the car. So I am not having any expectation, and surely never buy a vehicle on the basis of being a category stat leader. I am saying what is necessary for me to buy the Y. Notice a lot of me's and I's?

Slightly larger battery maybe. If not it falls in the middle for me. Which becomes a car I don't need.

was going to be a day 1 buyer but now i'll wait a year.

Yup.

The one lesson Tesla has repeatedly taught potential customers with the 3 is you're an idiot if you buy in the first 12-18 months of production... (the too short lived P3D- being the only possible exception, and only with the unlikely to repeat 5k refund factored in)

If you ask me 5 days ago, I'll place my deposit without any hesitation. But after all these fiasco and how they treat old loyal customer, I'll say No, and tell the story to everyone who ask for my advice on Teslas.

I couldn’t agree more. I was ready to put down a deposit ASAP. Now I’ll wait at least a year and explore other options that’ll be available at that time. And oh yeah, I’ll be able to go to a dealership and actually see and test drive the other options.

Prior to the Y announcement, I was planning on getting a second Model 3 in May.

Now, I’m going to wait and see what the production timelines are. I’m not sure it would be wise to buy a car now and another one in 12-18 months. Also would be considering a lower range model, which could extend it farther. I think two years between the purchases would be ok.

You need a “maybe” button. How could anyone say yes without seeing the car or price?
I agree that the poll needs a Maybe, but I said "hell yes" to the Model 3 without seeing a car or a meaningful price number. The nebulous $35K didn't count in that regard, I always took it as being a rough ballpark at best, and really we have that much already with the Y. I was "all in" before the mock-up got trotted out at the Mar 31, 2016 stage show.

I already knew I wasn't going to stand in line again (will it even be an option this time with stores closing?), but I was ready to put down a deposit at reveal and get into the first production version ASAP. After seeing this whole fiasco play out over the past few days, I'll still probably give Tesla an interest-free loan, but instead wait a while to see what happens. It won't be my daily driver the car it will replace isn't even 2 years old, so no incentive to get into it quickly this time.

If the Model Y is just a Model 3 wagon I'd be tempted. They can give it an optional lift kit with black plastic cladding for those that are into that sort of thing. That would cut development costs and it worked for Subaru so maybe it will work for Tesla.
I'm too cheap to buy another car so soon after this one anyway though but I do miss my wagon.