Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 owners, are you planning on buying a Model Y?

Model 3 owners, are you planning on buying a Model Y?

• Yes, I will be a day 1 line waiter and pay a reservation fee if possible

Votes: 12 6.6%
  • Yes, I will reserve online and pay a reservation fee if possible

Votes: 41 22.4%
  • Yes, but I will wait until they come out

Votes: 66 36.1%
  • No, my Model 3 is enough for me

Votes: 64 35.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will not wait in any line again. I did that with the Model 3 and look where that got me. A great car but I ended up paying more then others getting their cars today.

I want Tesla to succeed so oh well I will just take it on the chin financially. I will wait and see how it goes. I have no desire to put an interest free deposit anytime soon.

I am interested in a SUV so I am looking forward of seeing all the excitement that comes with a new model. :cool:

Reactions: privater
On the 3 I did whole reserve before the car was even revealed, my reservation came up while I was on vacation and I ordered from a hotel room within minutes. Went all in on the 3 with Auto Pilot and FSD. My wife badly wants the Y and before last week we had planned to do the same thing for a Y and get it as soon as humanly possible. Now we are firmly in the the wait and see, she has a nice car and we can hold out. I just can't justify paying a premium to be loyal to a company that isn't showing a lot of loyalty to me. I'm not up and arms but I'll need to see some goodwill and I will take a very serious look at the EV Market before I commit to a Y.

No. I use my P3D to race around in so I won't go for an SUV.

On the 3 I did whole reserve before the car was even revealed, my reservation came up while I was on vacation and I ordered from a hotel room within minutes. Went all in on the 3 with Auto Pilot and FSD. My wife badly wants the Y and before last week we had planned to do the same thing for a Y and get it as soon as humanly possible. Now we are firmly in the the wait and see, she has a nice car and we can hold out. I just can't justify paying a premium to be loyal to a company that isn't showing a lot of loyalty to me. I'm not up and arms but I'll need to see some goodwill and I will take a very serious look at the EV Market before I commit to a Y.
I have to say I can't understand changing an auto buying decision at 40k in the hope that the price drops a couple grand 6 months later.

• Disagree
I have to say I can't understand changing an auto buying decision at 40k in the hope that the price drops a couple grand 6 months later.

It has little to do with money, I agree its a couple grand not a big deal. Its more about brand loyalty there is no reason for me to go all in. I love my 3 but I also rather like my wifes X Series BMW. The 3 launch was a mess and a hassle, I see no reason to pay extra to repeat that experience. I am happy to wait and see how it goes and shop around. I'll wait till all the configurations are available and decide if its what we are after. You clearly waited to get the configuration you were after on a 3 but you don't understand why others would do the same?

If the Y offers adjustable air suspension, I imagine it will become a run away best seller.

Would be fantastic to be able to set it low, and get that great stance and look, then set it to normal for around town and with a smooth ride, then be able to raise it up for off road. Would make it pretty capable for towing.

All around a more versitile platform than the 3.

Something else to think about it. With the latest price reductions, it should become a pretty great value as well.

Like the 3, however, it also will come out at first, only with the more expensive configurations so Tesla can recapture some of its development costs.

I also believe that making it at the GigaFactory in Nevada will also give significant cost reductions over high priced California.

I plan to take my delivery in Nevada and get a tour of the Giga battery, motor, and auto manufacturing line.

My current X is a far better off roader than my previous Grand Cherokees. There is something magical about how well the electric AWD system works in limited traction conditions.

Reactions: S4WRXTTCS
It has little to do with money, I agree its a couple grand not a big deal. Its more about brand loyalty there is no reason for me to go all in. I love my 3 but I also rather like my wifes X Series BMW. The 3 launch was a mess and a hassle, I see no reason to pay extra to repeat that experience. I am happy to wait and see how it goes and shop around. I'll wait till all the configurations are available and decide if its what we are after. You clearly waited to get the configuration you were after on a 3 but you don't understand why others would do the same?
If you aren't in a rush then sure, but personally I'd buy my 3 (august delivery) over again in a heartbeat.

If the Y offers adjustable air suspension, I imagine it will become a run away best seller.
Do people really care about that? I'm not off road minded so I honestly don't know. When I was shopping for a mid-sized SUV a few years ago I don't recall my options having that. (bought a highlander)

Already placed my deposit for the Y....its going to the next best thing (lol).

Not sure why everyone is complaining about the price drops.

I like to use analogies and owning a Model 3 or any other Tesla Product, is very much like owning Tesla shares.
- There are up and downs, this is consistent,
- You knew what exactly what you were getting into, loss or gain from the beginning.
- No one has a crystal ball and no one know what will happen later this year or next for that matter.
- If you dont have the stomach for a new product like Tesla, then i suggest you sell your car and get a more comfortable brand like a Toyota or Audi and see how things go from there.

Personally, I really dont care about the price fluctuations, as I am one happy customer and love the brand. I have driven lots of other cars and Tesla's drive better than all of them, so im getting my money's worth.

Its sad that everyone is being petty about a few thousand here and there....

Our other car is an SUV and my wife loves the sight lines/driving position of SUVs and says she never wants to get another sedan again.

We probably won't replace the ICE SUV for another 2-3 years because of a combination of it not being that old and her not completely buying into EVs yet. But within 2-3 years by the time that Model Ys are everywhere and EVs as a whole are even more prevalent than they already are (i.e. starting to move into mainstream), I suspect that a Model Y might be a good fit.

But we'll see what it looks like and how much interior space it has. Doesn't need to have the volume of a Model X, but hoping it will be at comparable (interior-wise) to something like an Audi Q5 or maybe even an Acura RDX. That would be perfect in my opinion.

Perhaps someday. I have an S. Wife drives a 3. Someday the kid will need a car - I’m hoping for a used 3.

Wife likes the size of the 3, so she won’t trade.

I like the S for trips. Loads of room for people and stuff.

So if the Y replaced the S maybe... but not in the near future.

Had I known the Model Y announcement was a few months away....Took delivery Dec 12th..I would have waited to see the Y. After the price drops and EAP fiasco My 3 with 1400 miles is up for sale. I already took a hit, and will be willing to eat another one to clear my loan for 30k and buy another brand. First and last tesla for me. I just need the room for my 100lb German Shepherd so I had to keep my SUV. Would be fine going back to that as my daily

If they told us the model y was announcing Q1 2019 I'd expect model 3 sales numbers would have been awful in the US. We drive small SUVs here. That's what everyone wants.. They snaked us on the M3 I'm.

Last edited: