Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Owners Manual

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Its a major version out of date, has nothing about towing (especially weights) and max vehicle cargo weight calculations look dodgy to me for starters.

Example max vehicle and occupant weight used in example significantly higher at >600kg than the actual one that I have seen at 375kg - suspect if they used the real number in their example, there would only been enough cargo capacity for a wafer thin mint in a 75kg packet.

If anyone has an issue with left margin being truncated, try using the fit to width function to zoom large, then turn it off to revert. This gave me the left side back and any content contained within. I had to do this a number of times before it stopped truncating other pages.

EU version, page 166 uses 635kg then 433kg in its examples for "max occupancy and cargo weight must not exceed xxx". Both of these are still higher than the euro spec 19" model that I have seen at 375kg. Hopefully UK 18" has higher capacity. Still hoping that someone will verify what this sticker specifies on their UK versions.

As previously mentioned, EU version has towing info, page 73 or 74 which gives at 91kg tongue weight, which should easily cover even a couple of e-bikes on a tow mounted rack, albeit at loss of interior capacity, which is why the official capacity is important to me.

QUESTION - its been ages since I last towed a boat and never used a tow mount bike rack. M3 manual mentions 7 pin electrical. But is it not 8 used in a 13 pin connector. The Thule rack I'm looking at appears to 7 pin, so hopefully I don't need an adaptor? Also, I'm guessing noone yet got an official tow hitch, but 65mm min clearance between ball and bumper - does this sound reasonable that M3 exceeds this? Finally, 50mm ball, is this pretty standard these days - thule instructions gives no clue? Last time I towed, it was all imperial!