TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model 3 owners who have owned a recent Model S -- which do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Carl_Drogo, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Carl_Drogo

Carl_Drogo Member

If you could only keep one which would you keep?

2. chronopc

chronopc Active Member

I haven't owned a S but I've driven one for a good amount of time and I prefer the Model 3 overall. The 2 biggest selling point of the Model S is the extra cargo space (which I don't need) and the second screen on the dash. Other than these 2 things I prefer everything everything else on the Model 3.

• Like x 2
  3. tomas

tomas Only partially psycho

Fine to have another thread, but you might look at existing threads that ask same questions.

• Like x 1
  4. apacheguy

apacheguy S Sig #255

Prefer the 3. I almost never used the extra cargo space on the S.

Having the IC on the S is nice, but to be honest I really don’t miss it at all on the 3.

• Like x 1
  5. Carl_Drogo

Carl_Drogo Member

Yeah, I've seen several threads, but they were more about comparing features, dollars, range, other statistics, etc.. I was hoping to hear more about people's experiences, gut feelings, and that sort of thing.

6. Pkmmte

Pkmmte Le meow

From my experience with a recent Model S 75D, I'd say I much prefer the Model 3. The 3's interior feels much more relaxing and driving feels very agile. The 3's size is also a huge plus in my book, compared to the S.

That said, I REALLY miss the initial acceleration of the S (makes the 3 feel slow) as well as the larger frunk which I used to use every day and still do on my Model 3.

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  7. barjohn

barjohn Member

I owned a late 2016 S 75D and then sold it to buy my 3 after driving a friends 3. There are things I prefer in the S that are hard to put into words but overall I prefer the 3. On the open highway, the S is definitely more comfortable and holds a line better with less effort. It is in my opinion a better cruiser. My recollection is that it corners flatter, maybe due to the extra low hung weight. It was definitely quicker after being uncorked. However, for most of my driving, which is under 50 miles each way, the 3 being more nimble is more fun to drive. It is also much easier to park and more fuel efficient with a significant increase in range. I can fairly easily get it into and out of my garage where the S was a challenge. The rear seat on the S were more comfortable for my passengers (I don't have the new gun rear seats) but the AC was nowhere near as good as the 3s. It really depends on your needs and what compromises you are willing to make. I chose the 3 to best meet my needs.

• Like x 2
  8. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

The 3 is, in many ways, more fun to drive than the S. It’s more agile and responsive. And this is the non-P model 3. If our 3 were a performance model it would absolutely crush our P85 in pure driving fun.

9. virtualsmack

virtualsmack Member

i call BS on this. there is no way the 3 is more fuel efficient than the S. :p

totally kidding... i just could not help myself!

• Love x 1
  10. commasign

commasign Tesla Superfan

Driven my sister's 3 quite a bit.

For mixed city and highway driving, I still prefer the S. Quieter, smoother, more refined.

For zipping around town for errands, the Model 3 is quite fun (and easier to park). I'm really looking forward to getting my... I mean my wife's.. 3P for this very reason. "Yes honey, happy to go get some more milk and eggs." ;)

• Like x 2