Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 owners: would you pay for Spotify?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Until the exclusive contract with the current provider expires it doesn't matter how many people with pay for a different service

Well we know Tesla is compensating Slacker for a free account in each vehicle produced, but I am not so sure another service could not be provided whereby the end consumer pays for it on top of the oem provided service, but I am not a corporate lawyer. Who knows the exact wording of the contract between Tesla and slacker.

would it be so different than an agreement with Goodyear as the supplied tire from the factory that are replaced soon after by the owner, out of their own pocket of course?

And who knows when this contract expires? It might be next month.

Well we know Tesla is compensating Slacker for a free account in each vehicle produced, but I am not so sure another service could not be provided whereby the end consumer pays for it on top of the oem provided service, but I am not a corporate lawyer. Who knows the exact wording of the contract between Tesla and slacker.

We know it has the word exclusive in it, which is pretty clear.

would it be so different than an agreement with Goodyear as the supplied tire from the factory that are replaced soon after by the owner, out of their own pocket of course?

Yes, it would. Especially since currently it's impossible for the owner to swap the built-in music streaming apps on the car.

Absolutely not. I hate monthly subscriptions and do whatever I reasonably can to avoid them (which is why if YOU PEOPLE ever manage to push Tesla to making Autopilot a subscription-only service, I will destroy the world). On top of that, Slacker is fine for me, I barely use it since I have music and audiobooks on my phone.

I'd much rather have CarPlay & Android Auto so we can get rid of the shackles that are currently on all our media and productivity possibilities.

• Love
Reactions: McFlurri and Pkmmte
I wouldn't pay for Spotify because my Model 3 brings up any song I want to hear, I just ask it to play it using a voice command. And it sounds amazing and is free! It works perfectly as long as there is cell coverage. I imagine Spotify would have the same limitation.

You have a copy of the contract? Show it.

Both companies have publicly stated the contract is exclusive.

Do you have evidence they're lying about business terms with significant impact on stock price? (especially for slacker)-if so the SEC would be very interested in speaking to you!

Good thing the Tesla is already equipped with the Spotify app in it then, isn't it?

North American ones aren't though, so not so much.

While there's no technical reason Tesla couldn't enable the app they use overseas on NA cars there's certainly legal reasons they can't. (See again exclusive contract)

More relevant to your analogy with tires though, the vehicle owner can't enable the spotify app on their own car here.[/QUOTE]

North American ones aren't though, so not so much.

While there's no technical reason Tesla couldn't enable the app they use overseas on NA cars there's certainly legal reasons they can't. (See again exclusive contract)

More relevant to your analogy with tires though, the vehicle owner can't enable the spotify app on their own car here.
[/QUOTE]

But yes they are, and some have. It's just not common knowledge. One click from the mothership and its working.

I also use Google Music. Tesla would do well to allow people to use the music platform of their choice instead of trying to only allow a couple choices. Would really love to see Android Auto / whatever Apple's version is supported natively on Tesla's cars, but from the little bits I've seen during test drives I think just connecting my phone via Bluetooth should suffice.