Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 owners: would you pay for Spotify?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes I would, just to have my playlists in the car. I'm currently using Apple Music but would switch back to Spotify if Tesla had it.

Carplay/Android Auto would be even better though to let everyone use whatever music subscription they prefer without having to fumble around with the phone in the car.

Apple CarPlay is Apple’s version. The major issue I have with Slacker is the bit rate is terrible and the music sounds “mushy and clipped” due to the 64kbps. The content is better than expected and the Podcasts you can access from Slacker and TuneIn are nice. I canned my 2 XM subscriptions as a result as their quality is not any better. For music quality reproduction then I listen to Apple Music from my phone and Siri voice commands work fine so I don’t fiddle with the phone while driving. I have used both Android Auto and CarPlay and they are solid but for now the inconvenience is minor as in general I like the Tesla UI for Tesla items and Siri fills in for the phone’s content.

But yes they are, and some have. It's just not common knowledge. One click from the mothership and its working.

So now hacking your Tesla is equivalent to swapping tire brand?

You should really quit while you're behind... or keep digging the hole I guess- your call.

Apple CarPlay is Apple’s version. The major issue I have with Slacker is the bit rate is terrible and the music sounds “mushy and clipped” due to the 64kbps.

That's not an issue with slacker though- Slacker offers up to 256kb.... it's an issue with Tesla since the bitrate is set by the client software.

They set it to 64 since they're paying for the bandwidth (forever in most cars sold so far, for at least a year in future ones, and likely not charging enough to pay for it in those future ones if they allowed high bitrate)- and I wouldn't expect the allowed bandwidth to change if the service did.

They set it to 64 since they're paying for the bandwidth (forever in most cars sold so far, for at least a year in future ones, and likely not charging enough to pay for it in those future ones if they allowed high bitrate)- and I wouldn't expect the allowed bandwidth to change if the service did.

I called Tesla back in June to see if I would get a higher bitrate if I signed into a premium Slacker account. They told me the Tesla service is capped, but not at 64, it was higher than that, but I can't remember what it was. Basically, I could get a higher bit-rate signed into a premium Slacker account but not all the way to 256.

Apple CarPlay is Apple’s version. The major issue I have with Slacker is the bit rate is terrible and the music sounds “mushy and clipped” due to the 64kbps.
I called Tesla back in June to see if I would get a higher bitrate if I signed into a premium Slacker account. They told me the Tesla service is capped, but not at 64, it was higher than that, but I can't remember what it was. Basically, I could get a higher bit-rate signed into a premium Slacker account but not all the way to 256.

That's since been contradicted by Slacker themselves multiple times in other threads.

The bitrate is set entirely by the client app- which is 64 kb/s with no way to change it on the model 3.

The Model S used to (but I think no longer does) have a setting to go to 128kb if you have the premium stereo- the model 3 never got that option in software.